SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 3, 2010

iPad hits 1 million sold - faster than the iPhone

Posted: 10:02 AM ET

Will the iPad be bigger than the iPhone?

That's true in a physical sense, obviously. Apple's iPhone fits in your pocket. Its iPad - which is a touch-screen computer without a keyboard - would look ridiculous if you put it up to your ear.

But the iPad, it turns out, is also bigger in terms of initial sales.

Apple on Monday announced it has sold 1 million iPad computers in the 28 days the device has been available. The iPhone, which debuted in 2007, didn't hit the million mark until 74 days after it went on sale.

“Demand continues to exceed supply and we’re working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more customers," Apple CEO Steve Jobs says in a press release.

That begs the question: Will the iPad end up being a bigger hit than the iPhone, which has revolutionized the smartphone industry?

It's very early, and the iPad still has a long way to go. While 1 million iPads have been sold this year, the analyst firm Piper Jaffray says 36 millions iPhones will be sold this year worldwide, according to the blog AppleInsider.

It's also important to note that the iPhone cost $499 and $599 when it first hit the market. Sales didn't really take off until 2008, when Apple slashed the entry-level price of the device to $200, putting it within reach of more consumers.

Let us know what you think in the comments. What, if anything, do these sales figures mean? Is the iPad on track to change popular computing the way the iPhone changed what a mobile phone could be?

Posted by:
Filed under: Apple • iPad • iPhone

anthony   May 4th, 2010 11:40 pm ET

archos made something better 2 years ago for half the price you crapple addicts.
still paying 2x the pruce for half the hardware. i feel sorry for you. when you learn how to use a computer you will understand what i am talking about

John Robertson   May 4th, 2010 11:43 pm ET

Just out of curiosity, how many of you IPad naysayers would refuse to sell it if you owned a technology company? Who cares what any one consumer thinks. If I could sell a million of something in 1 month, geez-louise, I'd be on that product so fast.

Joe McNale   May 5th, 2010 12:02 am ET

Hey John Sutter, we need you to write another story about the iPad. Yeah, just come up with something to hype it up some more...we need at least 200 more stories if we are going to pump this thing. Good job dude, way to use that education.

Savonarola   May 5th, 2010 1:08 am ET

Other things Apple didn't invent but still arrogantly uses in the iPad:
- Photons
- Glass
- Batteries
- Fonts
- The Alphabet

How can they claim to have done something groundbreaking if they are simply cobbling together tired and ancient technologies?

matt   May 5th, 2010 1:31 am ET

I wonder how many people are actually going to use the iPad to read books...

IllIlI   May 5th, 2010 6:48 am ET

@AB:
Why thank you, though I did not need your helpful advice from the start. Apple has never received a penny from me on their technology. I am very happy for you and your capacity to quote the stock market. iThink you might want to consider a career as a stock broker. Prior to trying to "razz" me, please answer me one simple question. Explain to me why I should/would want to replace my very compitent and highly reliable laptop for an iFad?

@John Robertson:
Well, for one, if I actually worked in a retail store, it would depend on what position I held. Please be a little more specific in your question. For instance: a simple sales technician would be incapable of making such a decision, yet a company executive of the same company would have the capacity to decide. Now, on the otherhand, if it was a simple mom-and-pop store, its an easy call. And yes, I would refuse to purchase the item for sale on my shelves if I worked in retail and was able to make the call. And your decision to sell after seeing the initial sales indicates just how much of a FanBoi you really are. You would be jumping on the band wagon after the fact. There is a simple word for that: FRONTRUNNER! John, sir, you FAIL!

Hector   May 5th, 2010 9:34 am ET

Me parece un procuto GENIAL!!.

Media Outrage » Blog Archive » Apple Sells 1 Million iPads Faster Than It Did With iPhone   May 5th, 2010 9:42 am ET

[...] Source [...]

ontheinternets   May 5th, 2010 10:21 am ET

So now we conflate "Microsoft" with "PC" as if the two are inherently related. I didn't realize the PC market has been around longer than Microsoft, and that there aren't rediculous amounts of alternative platforms. Not to mention even, *gasp* using OSX on PC hardware (been there, done that, wasn't too impressed). Whoever in here said that "70%" of the market weren't "tech people," you may be lowballing that number.

The amount of ignorance in here is astounding.

Before anybody projects anything though, yes, I own an iPad. I use it for what it is, an interesting toy, and a great time killer. But "groundbreaking and visionary" it isn't, the technology has been around for YEARS. But Apple marketing does a great job on the uninformed.

Brickell Princess   May 5th, 2010 10:27 am ET

Apple is a Communist company with a closed system. They won't even allow ANYONE to install their Operating System unless you overpay for a MAC.

Why you people support what is obviously a monopoly is beyond me!

Apple even came down on Ellen for making a funny little commercial about the crappy iPhone.

Now that's a Communist company!

ontheinternets   May 5th, 2010 10:34 am ET

Eh, Snow Leopard was written exclusively for x86/x86-64 platforms. PC and Mac hardware are the same thing, getting OSX running on a "PC" is just a couple BIOS/EFI tweaks away, given compatible hardware drivers.

No need to overpay

betty   May 5th, 2010 10:46 am ET

I'm not sure why this is news worthy. Are we supposed to do a cheer now, after reading the article? Go ipad Go!!!

IllIlI   May 5th, 2010 10:51 am ET

@ Brickell Princess – I hear ya! Dug up some quotes and addited out the term "communism/communist" or a countries name for you. Its pretty scary...

"The sun never sets on the [Apple] Empire."

"[Apple] possesses a language which every people can understand – its elements are hunger, envy and death" – Heinrich Heine, 1842

"[Apple] is like one big phony company." – Lenny Bruce, 1953

"I know that I am leaving the winning side for the losing side, but it is better to die on the losing side than to live under [Apple]." – Whittaker Chambers

"Communism in inequality, but not as [Apple] is. [Apple] is exploitation of the weak by the strong. Communism is exploitation of the strong by the weak." – Pierre-Joeseph Proudhon

"All that [Apple] needs to make it successful is someone to feed and clothe it."

"[Apple] is the opiate of the [Fanboiz} with no cure except as a guillotine might be called a cure for dandruff." -Clare booth Luce
🙂

IllIlI   May 5th, 2010 10:53 am ET

addited -> edited

ontheinternets   May 5th, 2010 10:56 am ET

IIIIII out of curiosity, what the hell does that have to do with anything? That's not interesting or relevant, it's just stupid.

To be honest, you're just giving more fuel to the "fanboiz" because you come off as very uninformed.

IllIlI   May 5th, 2010 11:05 am ET

But on the other hand you did respond so what does that tell us about you if my response was as you stated, and I quote, "not interesting or relevent, it's just stupid?"

ontheinternets   May 5th, 2010 11:09 am ET

Ycaught me, I'm actually quite retarded and attracted to stupid things. The fact that I managed to turn my computer on, much less navigate to this web page and have a conversation is nothing short of a miracle.

IllIlI   May 5th, 2010 11:19 am ET

ontheinternets, I am very proud of you. Good job!

But to help spell it out a little more clearly for you, since you appear to lack some form of reading comprehension. That or perhaps, rather than just reading the last post on the list, you may want to scroll up and, [gasp], actually read other posts. In doing so, you might have noticed that Brickell Princess commented that Apple is a Communist Company. My long-winded post of edited quotes was merely feeding that comment more.🙂

As much as I enjoy feeding into you and wasting precious bytes of pixelated data on this interweb thingy-magiggy, I will return you back to your regularly scheduled dribble. Enjoy🙂

Always Right   May 5th, 2010 11:24 am ET

Another "i-pad killer" bites the dust.
First, Hewlett Packard's "i-slate", then Microsofts' "Courier", now this:

Dropping like flies before they even get out of the gate!

(sigh) It is good to be an Apple user and shareholder.
And right all the time, too.

ontheinternets   May 5th, 2010 11:25 am ET

I'm pretty sure you mean "drivel."

English may not be your strong suit.

Ryan Darr   May 5th, 2010 11:28 am ET

The iPad is overrated and underhated.

IllIlI   May 5th, 2010 11:28 am ET

Aww thanks for the edit. I appreciate your looking out for me there. I just wish CNN would add an edit button. Hey, Maybe Steve Jobs can furnish one for them.

In other news, Apple has just provided us with another application to slap around in the face of the Fanboiz....

Cupitino

This is just too classic!

NoName   May 5th, 2010 11:34 am ET

why so many complaints about CNN/Apple? The iPad is being covered in the Tech news section because, for right now, it's the biggest mover (and thus the biggest story) in the tech industry. That's it. That's all there is to it. If Nintendo or Sony released something that was performing as well as the iPad, there'd be story after story about that, too. Quit bellyaching about Apple. If you don't like their stuff, don't buy it.

alank   May 5th, 2010 12:10 pm ET

Its amazing to see how many eagerly bitter ne`er-do-wells there are who are avid followers (closet worshipers!) of everything Apple. One can only presume they don't have an objective view of most anything they haven't discovered themselves or don't understand. Last evening I happened by an Apple store and decided to go in and check out the iPad, it was about closing time on a Tuesday night and the store was packed with people of all ages. And it wasn't just iPads, many were buying Mac computers too. As for Apple bashers who wait on bated breath for the next new product: it just goes to show ignorance isn't always bliss... in their collective case ignorance is just plain... unbridled ignorance!

“Apple Sells 1 Million Ipads First Week” | Alwayz Therro   May 5th, 2010 12:35 pm ET

[...] Source [...]

BOB   May 5th, 2010 3:39 pm ET

I'm pretty sure these Apple haters are really just a bunch of bald-headed bozos with pocket protectors working out of Bill Gates' basement. Oh, and all those foreign kids in the "I'm a PC" commercials ... they got their PCs for free from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Steve   May 5th, 2010 4:08 pm ET

A big overpriced itouch, NO THANX!!

Al   May 5th, 2010 6:23 pm ET

Apple sells it's millionth iPad!! The lucky purchaser was give a lifetime supply of Steve Jobs' ego, an Apple iHubris gift card and unlimited opportunities to suffer buyer's remorse when the next generation iPad comes out!

ryan   May 5th, 2010 6:37 pm ET

"magical little device". Is that not condescending? He talks down to his fans like they are children, or idiots. Perhaps that is why they are called "iThings" ...stuff for idiots – at least in Job's apparent opinion.

Sussudio   May 6th, 2010 1:45 am ET

Is it just me- or does it seem that the people who bash everything 'Apple' are usually the ones who are too poor to afford Apple products or too cheap to buy them?

smartmoney   May 6th, 2010 8:23 am ET

Not a matter of being too poor. Simply a matter of being a smarter consumer.

My roomate just dropped a little over 2500 dollars on a Core i5 based iMac (which btw, isn't anywhere NEAR top of the line or cutting edge). Not really that much, except when you consider the computer I recently built for 2100 blows it out of the water, including a superior IPS panel based monitor and aluminum full tower case with much better airflow than the cramped Mac cases. Encoding performace, video rendering, and gaming on my machine are all leaps and bounds faster (even boot times, Apple doesn't offer you Sata III striped arrays does it?), and even he admits it.

I will give him this though, the fans I bought are slightly louder than his, but I solved that problem too by dampening the case with my left over 400 dollars in cash.

iPad Fan   May 8th, 2010 10:11 am ET

Guys I love iPad and I'm sure it's better that I have made Steve Jobs, I even after iPad blog opened – http://iPad-funclub.com/. Who is not lazy to comment, as did you my blog?

Nuni   May 29th, 2010 9:13 pm ET

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsm-ZaQiMLs&w=640&h=390]

I-pad the song!

Nuni   May 29th, 2010 9:14 pm ET

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsm-ZaQiMLs&w=640&h=390]

I-pad the song

words from the wise   June 8th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

jeez.... 1,000,000 units sold at $300 each and yet my 401k continues to take a pounding....

come on iphone 3gs   June 23rd, 2010 3:09 pm ET

I can't wait to get my new iPhone 3GS with the new iPad 4 the prices have dropped for the old stuff. Love it! I like keeping one to two steps behind. It's cheaper!

Bench Saw   December 3rd, 2010 7:46 am ET

i think that plasma tvs are more expensive than LCD tvs and they are a bit heavier too ,.~

heandyln   August 28th, 2011 7:35 am ET

Beat the buzzer in this classic arcade game! In Skyworks Arcade Hoops Basketball, it’s a race against the clock to sink as many baskets as you can.

With 3 game modes, multiple game skins, Game Center and an option to shoot to the beat of your own music, you’ll never get bored. Connect to Facebook to challenge your friends for serious bragging rights!
/uploads/allimg/110828/1S31T0I-0.jpg
WHAT THE PLAYERS SAY:

“A great game to play and will have players addicted for a long time.” – Gamezone

“Arcade Hoops Basketball is really well done... Good value and good quality.” – 148 Apps

“..one of the most realistic and fun games I have used on the iPhone.” – Mike’s iPhone Blog

FEATURES:

– Three Fun and Challenging Game Modes
- Classic: sink the most 2-point shots in 45 seconds
- Progressive: score the most 2 and 3 point shots in 99 seconds against a moving backboard
- 3 Point: score as many 3 pointers as you can in 45 seconds

– Six unique skins: Choose your favorite themed environment
- Arcade: Play using the classic look of arcade hoops
- Zombies: Play as a member of the undead
- Space: a celestial shooting experience featuring constellations and a special “Moon” basketball
- Doodle: doodle drawings and a doodle cage!
- Christmas: Feeling festive? Shoot your baskets alongside a Christmas Tree with a giant ornament basketball!
- St Patrick’s Day: a green & white ball plus all the Irish music you can handle

– Game Center
– Choose your own music: Select in-game music or use your own music library
– Local high score boards
– Facebook Integration
– Challenge a friend: play against your friends!

When you’re taking a break from Arcade Hoops Basketball, try out our addicting new physics game FLING THE FROG™, or Skyworks’ other hit titles including WORLD CUP TABLE TENNIS™ and ARCADE BOWLING™. Or, just search for “Skyworks” in the App Store search bar, find your favorite games, and have a BLAST!

iPad Hits 1 Million Sold - Faster Than The iPhone - Legit Reviews   May 2nd, 2013 12:21 am ET

[...] CNN [...]

Survive The End Days Review   February 7th, 2016 6:51 am ET

[...] CNN News [...]

Survive The End Days   February 7th, 2016 6:53 am ET

[...] CNN Lastest News [...]

Legit Or Scam Review   February 7th, 2016 6:55 am ET

Survive The End Days review Survive The End Days review

nba 2k16 mt cheat table   April 28th, 2016 4:37 pm ET

Keep up the great job and bringing in the crowd!|
nba 2k16 mt cheat table http://www.ghanaschoolsnet.com/profiles/blogs/cheap-nba-2k16-mt-with-more-organized-secretes-and-ideas

Leave Your Comment