SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 4, 2010

Geek Out!: Scruffy looking nerf herders party on May 4th

Posted: 11:09 AM ET
Star Wars cake
Star Wars cake

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From scifi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's SciTech blog.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away it was decided that May 4th would be Star Wars Day. And if you're lucky, the festivities will include themed cakes or "Wookie Cookies."

The turn of phrase “May the 4th be with you” may seem like a hokey way to celebrate the legacy of such a ground-breaking film series, but many fans enjoy the idea of having a day dedicated to the franchise.

Everything from large collectible houses giveaways to students encouraged to dress up as their favorite Star Wars characters will mark this years festivities. Local conventions and cosplay groups will have viewing parties planned where they watch all six films back to back. A Lego fan community focused on Star Wars is giving away limited edition Lego figures. There’s even a Jedi Church that fans can attend to commemorate the day.

This year overall is pretty big for any Star Wars fan. Celebration V is August of this year in Orlando, Florida. Then there’s the yearly Star Wars Weekends at Disneyworld and of course the 30th anniversary of the release of "The Empire Strikes Back" this month.

So while some Star Wars fans may not necessarily embrace the phrase, we all enjoy celebrating the movies we love. Got any Star Wars memories to share today? Comment below or visit iReport to discuss "Empire" specifically.

Posted by:
Filed under: Geek Out!

Old Hat   May 4th, 2010 11:50 am ET

Odd bit of information: In the royal armed forces in the United Kingdom, so many soldiers and sailors put "Jedi Knight" on their religious preference card it is has a significant demographic...significant enough it may be considered the third fastest growing religion in the UK after Islam and Orthodox Chrisitiantiy.

Mad Doc   May 4th, 2010 11:51 am ET

Yoda likes!

Fred M.   May 4th, 2010 12:15 pm ET

I lost count of how many times I saw the first Star Wars movie in the theater. It was just a magical experience that really united a large group of movie goers. Suddenly, sci fi was cool again. The two that followed, while still great, seemed more emotionally detached and less uplifting.

The last three films that make up the prequel were a tremendous disappointment. The acting was wooden. The story lines were not gratifying. The physics were absurd, with Anakin leaping hundreds of feet and landing on a moving vehicle without so much as a sprained ankle. The special effects seemed to the be sole reason for which the films existed - well, that and the merchandising. It was like CGI versions of the old Saturday morning children's cartoons.

GeekGirl4ever   May 4th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

Can't go all out because of work, but still sporting a SW theme with my M&M Stormtrooper shirt. :)

Nik   May 4th, 2010 12:25 pm ET

I grew up in New Jersey! I watched 4, 5, 6, 1,2,3, are better quality, but I will say I have a cousin who used to be a star wars fan. I grew up with Lego's and star wars themes. So glad Sci-Fi is cool again with new gadgets. I want to let those who are die hard star wars fans, the wookies-cookies are a nice touch. May 4th be with you all!

Brenda   May 4th, 2010 12:54 pm ET

I just had to add ..my grandsons are both Star Wars fans and they actually went to the celebration in L.A. 2 yrs ago..last year they got to go to Skywalker ranch ....not many people get invations to see that...even some presidents are not allowed there...so they were very impressed...

Yos   May 4th, 2010 1:58 pm ET

Old Hat... thats amazing. And Im jealous.

John Jones   May 4th, 2010 2:08 pm ET

WARP SPEED MR. SULU!!!!!!

WalkingRefridgerator   May 4th, 2010 2:09 pm ET

I dont know i feel like ...

Boba Fett   May 4th, 2010 2:40 pm ET

@John Jones: It's pronounced hyperdrive, Trekkie ;)

James Andrews   May 4th, 2010 2:45 pm ET

James Andrews   May 4th, 2010 2:45 pm ET

Insert William Shatner's "Have you ever kissed a girl?" here!

AB   May 4th, 2010 3:11 pm ET

Never give up; never surrender!

Mandy   May 4th, 2010 3:51 pm ET

It's like he forgot my birthday!! :(

stormschmooper   May 4th, 2010 4:35 pm ET

Wish i had known sooner...

Sky   May 4th, 2010 7:37 pm ET

See the movie Fanboys! star wars fans vs star trek fans ... with the funniest quote to trekkies...."kirk lovin spock suckers" Based on a true story...

Nikki Rau-Baker   May 4th, 2010 8:24 pm ET

Thanks for the great comments everyone! And AB, loved the Galaxy Quest reference. :-)

66Biker   May 4th, 2010 10:37 pm ET

May the Farce be with you. :)

Russ   May 5th, 2010 12:38 am ET

I see your Schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how well you handle it.

Rick Moyer   May 5th, 2010 1:56 am ET

What a fun day! So many great Star Wars Quotes and all! I did a fun youtube video for Star Wars Day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyNrgZbN_do Enjoy! And May the 4th be with you!

Eileen Skidmore   May 5th, 2010 3:55 am ET

Whilst attending an American Space 1999 convention in Columbus Ohio in 1980 I went with a group of fan to see The Empire Strikes Back at a movie theatre accompanied by one of the guests at the convention..Mr. David Prowse (Darth Vader) we had a blast chanting Sith Sith Sith every time Darth Vader appeared...silly and geeky but fun.

Bubba Fatt   May 5th, 2010 5:59 am ET

Why didn't I know about this earlier? I would have made a special Pulled-Porkins sandwich in honor of the rotund fighter pilot in the original Star Wars. With the barbeque sause I would have spelled out that phrase that his fellow fighter kept calmly repeating without any acknowlegement of Porkins increasingly dire situation: "Stay On Target".

Chris   May 5th, 2010 10:23 am ET

Although May the fourth has been around for quite a while, UNIVERSAL DAY OF THE JEDI, which started in 2007 is on May 25th and ROCKS!

Madgem   May 5th, 2010 10:46 am ET

WOO HOO!!!! Finally! My birthday will no longer be just occasionally the National Day of Prayer (YUCK!) but will now forever be known as Star Wars Day! Thank Yoda!

musheded   May 5th, 2010 1:00 pm ET

The Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I ever saw at a theater (well drive-in to be exact)...way back when I was 4 going on 5 (remember when you used to celebrate 1/2 birthdays and were going on your next age).

Barbara, 34 going on 35 :)

padawan0620   May 5th, 2010 2:45 pm ET

I cut my college graduation practice to see the first screening of R0TJ. My wife can recite Greedo's dialogue with Han.

Munchy2   May 5th, 2010 5:02 pm ET

You are not going to believe this. It's not Star Wars, it's ET. Check it out on E-bay. There is a really "freaky good" looking ET rock. Let me know what you all think.

If the link doesn't work, search for seller maxpro99, he's selling it.

fanatic   May 5th, 2010 5:27 pm ET

Episode IV; Best. Movie. Ever.
My dad took me to a theater back in '77 to watch it for the first time. It was within a block of a college campus and was filled with excited students. I walked out of that theater totally changed. I view my life as the stuff before Star Wars, and then post-Star Wars.

I went on to collect (almost) every SW trading card that they produced. I was such a fan, that I even know the elephant's name that played the bantha.

Billy   May 5th, 2010 5:45 pm ET

Dorks!

JoAnn   May 5th, 2010 7:46 pm ET

I have the most wonderful memories of waiting in line to watch "The Empire Strikes Back" while I was supposed to be studying for college final exams. The other people in line were also Star Wars fans, and we had a great time acting out scenes from "Star Wars." Our favorite was the hologram of Princess Leia asking General Kenobi for help.

kb   May 5th, 2010 10:30 pm ET

For the less intelligent sci-fi fans, this is great. For the more enlightened, we feel joy for the masses. Star Wars was/is a political statement. The science part just sucks.

Yoda B Sith   May 6th, 2010 3:51 am ET

"Wookiee," it is. Two Es it has.
Even says so it does on the page to which the misspelled "Wookie Cookies" link points.
But by the "scruffy-looking nerf-herder" reference, impressed I was.

John   May 6th, 2010 9:48 am ET

Losers...

Nikki Rau-Baker   May 6th, 2010 10:04 am ET

@Yoda B.Sith – thanks for the correction, I must have had too much blue milk when I was checking over the post. ;-)

elsie   May 6th, 2010 11:30 am ET

Note the pork rinds in the picture.

anti snoring pillow reviews   January 16th, 2011 3:41 am ET

Best anti snoring pillows to get rid of snoring

Leave Your Comment