SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 5, 2010

Find the Apple fanboy of your dreams at 'Cupidtino'

Posted: 10:32 AM ET

Do you spend your nights debating the merits of iPhone multitasking?

Do you have a poster of Steve Jobs on your bedroom ceiling?

And are you looking for a partner who has plenty of free wall sockets, so you can charge up your iPod, iPad, iBook and iPhone - all at once?!?

Well, maybe Cupidtino is the website for you.

The new dating site, designed exclusively to set-up fans of Apple gadgets, says it will launch in June.

For the uninitiated, the name is a combination of Cupertino, the California city where Apple Inc. is based, and Cupid, that love-mongering cherub that shows up every February. Apple fans have a reputation in the tech world for being, well, pretty fanatical. Some make pilgrimages to Apple stores. Others own nearly every product Apple puts out. When the iPad debuted earlier this year, some people waiting in line to buy it said they didn't really know what it was - but they trusted that Apple would know what's best for them.

Some people love Apple for its sleek, consumer-oriented products. Others hate the company just as much - dubbing its fans the "Cult of Mac." (A blog has actually appropriated that name and made it positive).

Cupidtino says it started the Apple-fan dating site because people who love Apple share other things in common, too:

"Cupidtino is a beautiful new dating site created for fans of Apple products by fans of Apple products!" a message on the site says. "Why? Diehard Mac & Apple fans often have a lot in common – personalities, creative professions, a similar sense of style and aesthetics, taste, and of course a love for technology. We believe these are enough reasons for two people to meet and fall in love, and so we created the first Mac-inspired dating site to help you find other Machearts around you."

At first, it didn't seem entirely clear whether the site was a joke or not.

But Cupidtino's Twitter feed sent a message to CNN saying, "We're for real."

The "about" section of the website says it was created by three people in San Francisco, California.

Here's how they describe themselves:

"We’re 3 geeks (2 devs and a designer) with backgrounds at Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! We’re based in San Francisco and obsessed with our Apple gadgets (we have them all!). We’re privately funded and would love to discuss interesting partnership opportunities. More info to come soon as we release more broadly."

Some Apple-relevant blogs are pumped about Cupidtino:

"If there's one thing that all Mac-obsessed creatures have in common, besides their undying devotion to Apple products, it's the need to be loved," writes a blog called the iPhone Savior.

The blog notes that Mac fans have gotten married in Apple Stores before. If you meet the fanboy or -girl of your dreams, the blog suggests, "just be sure to pre-order your iPhone cake in advance."

Not everyone online is this excited about the thought of Apple fanatics falling in love, however:

Apple fans can be annoying when they’re on their own," writes Michael Arrington at the blog TechCrunch. "The thought of them breeding and creating little Apple fans, a whole family of hard core hipster Apple lovers, is just not a good thing.

"On the other hand, making sure that Apple fans only date other Apple fans is a good way of stopping them from spreading their Apple fan genes to the general population, I guess. So maybe this site isn’t all bad."

When it launches this summer, the Cupidtino service will only be available through "Apple platforms."

What do you think?

Apple fans: Do you feel a connection with other Macheads that could be useful in a dating context?

And PCs: Do you feel left out?

Posted by:
Filed under: Apple

iBad   May 5th, 2010 4:05 pm ET

Why in god's name would anyone have a poster of Steve Jobs on their bedroom ceiling?!?

Dennis Jackson, Austin, TX.   May 5th, 2010 4:07 pm ET

I love it! Where is a hot, single, Apple-loving single lady for me!🙂

jimmy   May 5th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

"I'd make fun of this too if I was left out of the group. "

and thats why people make fun of apple right there. according to this elegant, magical, exquisite windbag, apple chooses you.

efff gadgets no matter who makes them, there...im not an apple hater, just an active adult who enjoys more then 5 different sized screens.

guest   May 5th, 2010 4:23 pm ET

what a stupid idea !

Doug   May 5th, 2010 4:28 pm ET

Never trust a mac user.

Ted Perlman   May 5th, 2010 4:29 pm ET

I feel like I am going to throw up...

Pressly   May 5th, 2010 4:29 pm ET

This is for folks in single-user mode.

Pressly OMG (Old Married Guy)

John   May 5th, 2010 4:54 pm ET

Answers the question: "How elitist are Apple fans?". Are they this messed up that they need a dating website THIS niche to find someone compatible?

jimmy   May 5th, 2010 4:57 pm ET

"Cupidtino is a beautiful new dating site created for fans of Apple products by fans of Apple products! Why? Diehard Mac & Apple fans often have a lot in common – personalities, creative professions, a similar sense of style and aesthetics, taste, and of course a love for technology."

somewhere david koresh is cashing checks from steve jobs.
people are like lambs. when does the chanting start?

we are better, we are better, we are better, we have style we have style we have style, we have taste we have taste we have taste.

Mike D   May 5th, 2010 5:02 pm ET

Anybody every consider running a MAC\OS VM off of a PC just to spite them!😛

Kuvanito   May 5th, 2010 5:02 pm ET

dam! a dating site,what iMeet,hehehehehehe
I love dammed MACs and PCs as well,so I can install Linux(any distro)
That is news,Ubuntu Lucid 10.4 LTS just came out. wohooo

Brickell Princess   May 5th, 2010 5:03 pm ET

So glad to see that those that throw their money to support Communist Apple have a dating site that we can all avoid.

Apple so sucks!

BCWaldorf   May 5th, 2010 5:11 pm ET

Cupidtino, ha ha ha. I'm proud to say that all Waldorfs are Apple users, and proud of it.

Walker   May 5th, 2010 5:20 pm ET

The Apple dating site, will be the ugliest dating site of all time.

Love Apple and Looking for love, funny 99% of Apple computer users are single.

Wow

jimmy   May 5th, 2010 5:21 pm ET

so your proud and proud? or just proud.

you should get that bumper sticker printed up so you can pat yourself on the back in front of the whole planet.

Patrick   May 5th, 2010 5:23 pm ET

A site like maczoom.com is already dedicated to Mac users. And not just for love !

Jerry "tube steak" iCandy   May 5th, 2010 5:24 pm ET

oooooh, mines headlines will be
"Must love glory holes at starbucks"

jimmy   May 5th, 2010 5:25 pm ET

him: loves gadgets, loves video games and mp3s. loves anything elegant with classy style and magical beautifulness. not really into fishing or camping. a few extra pounds. enjoys protesting and coffee shops. loves his prius. flaming liberal.

her: has been on this site for 2 years looking for a man not a boy whos priorities involve games and tweeting.

Seth   May 5th, 2010 5:36 pm ET

I bet this service will be just as over priced as every Apple product.

Aaron   May 5th, 2010 5:40 pm ET

@Jason from Hollywood:

Great analogy...the Mac is like Beta was, a better product that was only unsucceesful because of the stupidity of the mainstream. Leave it to a PC nob to prove what Mac lovers have been saying all along...and not even know it!

Jay   May 5th, 2010 5:41 pm ET

Very loserish....

Andy   May 5th, 2010 5:54 pm ET

Epic!

– A

Aaron   May 5th, 2010 6:01 pm ET

@ Jimmy,

The only group of chanting sheep I see these days are the ones still blindly chanting, "Yes We Can!"

Darinc38122   May 5th, 2010 6:05 pm ET

Let me get this right. Nobody complained when Microsoft was everywhere and the only thing you ever heard about Macs was how nobody uses them and they are going out of business. Now, Apple is in the mainstream and all you Windows users start to complain because you have to hear about it. Has it ever occurred to you guys that Apple is in the news now because it is changing the way we use technology and forcing all the other technology companies to get their act together and start making products that work. Apple makes things we actually want to buy. What a bunch of whiney babies. Why don't you all go back to downloading your virus updates, security patches, and service packets.

Sean Russell   May 5th, 2010 6:12 pm ET

It's a fancy site, and is very cool but you can only date people that Steve Jobs says you can date.

Kevin   May 5th, 2010 6:24 pm ET

I'm a huge fan of Apple but this is too much.

Elvis   May 5th, 2010 6:29 pm ET

Wow. This thread is full of win and trolls. I love the internet.

lol.   May 5th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

lol. typical mac noobs trying to come up with "new" ideas. mac fanatics disgust me.

jolesen   May 5th, 2010 6:36 pm ET

There are two roads in life. The left road (Windows) and the right road (Mac).
Thank God I took the right road.

0_0   May 5th, 2010 6:40 pm ET

There's an app for that...

scamper pants   May 5th, 2010 7:34 pm ET

You winblowz guys are just mad because your windows 7 is just vista with mad marketing skillz. You all suckle the peen hole.

josh   May 5th, 2010 8:00 pm ET

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

josh   May 5th, 2010 8:04 pm ET

anti mac fan boy sentiments result from the fundamental irony in mac products – technology that weighs marketing and design over functionalities.

Kay   May 5th, 2010 8:08 pm ET

Windows users come here to let cnn know they don't like the articles so they will stop posting them so much. That's what you do when you don't like an article, kids.

I have both an apple and a pc and to say apple never gets viruses is a lie. My mac has gotten a couple viruses before, granted not as many as pc, I won't deny that but still. Apple mac is pretty good, I actually like it but I find myself using my pc the majority of the time. I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on apple products when something goes wrong. I find that most apple users are either very wealthy, spoiled or have their parents buying their products. Lucky you but not everyone is as wealthy as you.

Pc users, you're bot better than everyone else because you got a deal either

No wonder Americans are doing so bad when they're wasting money when they can get something cheaper with the same quality. Stop winding about how broke you are if you're not willing to cut back or settle for something cheaper with the same quality.

I'm an apple user and a pc user. I don't hate neither. Who cares if you're an apple user or pc user? Pc users hate too much and apple users shouldn't talk since they do the same amount of hating if not more.

You just reminded me why I want out of this country so badly. Stupid arguments and irresponsible immaturity.

Kay   May 5th, 2010 8:11 pm ET

sorry, meant not, not *bot*

Kay   May 5th, 2010 8:11 pm ET

damn it, meant whining, not *winding*, not having a good spelling day

josh   May 5th, 2010 8:38 pm ET

agree with you kay
I use both as well, but I still find myself poking fun at mac users since It's fun to see people overreact. I should stop soon tho lol.

gussieone   May 5th, 2010 9:57 pm ET

Absolutely there's much in common. When was the last time you saw a PC in a film? Hollywood has known for decades that Apple has maximum style. It's the artist, freelancer, adventurers choice; not for traditional corporate biz types. If you don't love design, efficiency, simplicity and adaptability keep your PC. We really don't mind but we don't want to mate with you.

Gary   May 5th, 2010 11:38 pm ET

Funniest comments ever!! ... IGirl...

morgans   May 5th, 2010 11:50 pm ET

I am sure it will be filled with beautiful women from the USA who are temporarily living in Ghana to visit their sick grandma and who just needs money sent to them in Ghana to get home to USA and then you two can go on a date.

Franko   May 6th, 2010 1:06 am ET

All these iGirlie devices and iTernet sites
Will soon be hacked by real men using cost effective PCs

Tiny   May 6th, 2010 1:46 am ET

So, I have been wondering why there are so many apple articles on here and i think i figured it out. It is because of these debates. If only apple fanboi's checked out these articles they would stop posting them, they post what gets readers wether the readers like what they are reading or not dosn't matter to them. But when every PC user comes to bash on the fanbois they get mega readership on the articles. and not only that you get people in here like me who generally don't post and don't care to splatter my opinions on which OS is better (btw i am a pc) but enjoy reading the debates because they get really funny. Its far to entertaining. Bottom line is If pc users didnt comment on apple articles, there wouldnt be people like me searching for funny comments and between the pcs and the debate entertainment junkies these articles would cease to exist.

Georgeiswrite.com   May 6th, 2010 1:59 am ET

Is this a news article?

peyote   May 6th, 2010 4:12 am ET

Pat Robertson says the oil rig fire is god's punishment for all those lazy welfare recipients along the gulf who didn't participate in boobquake. long live the apartheid in arizona at least I have somewhere to go when obama ruins this country😉

IllIlI   May 6th, 2010 7:11 am ET

Apple/Cupidtino Corporate Anthem...

All the single [Apples]

Now put your [iPads] up
Up in [Starbucks], we just broke up
I’m doing my own [Apple] thing
Decided to dip but now you wanna trip
Cuz another [Fanboi] noticed me
I’m up on him, he up on me
Dont pay him any attention
Cuz i cried my tears, [Wasted six] good [Franklins]
Ya can’t be mad at me

I got gloss on my [screen], a man [in] my [chats]
Hold me tighter than my [Apple Apps]
acting up, drink in my cup
I couldnt care less what [Video I miss]
I need no [Flash], did I mention
Dont pay him any attention
Cuz you had your turn
But now you gonna learn
What it really feels like to [message] me

Don't treat me to the [open] things of the world
I'm not that kind of girl
Your [Mac] is what I prefer, what I deserve.
Here's a [Fanboi] that makes me then takes me
And delivers me [an Application], to [Cupidtino]
Pull me in your arms, say I'm the [Apple] you own
If you don't, you'll be alone
And like a ghost I'll be gone.

Matt Maples   May 6th, 2010 7:12 am ET

It is news because YOU read it! Or did someone hold a water balloon over your head and TOLD you to read this article or else!

keiyume   May 6th, 2010 7:43 am ET

Now with Apple's virus-free 'guarantee'!

ballz   May 6th, 2010 8:04 am ET

great – another reason for the i-nerds to not go out and meet people for real

TCC   May 6th, 2010 8:10 am ET

just another hookup site for gay people, no big deal...

SMG   May 6th, 2010 9:44 am ET

Finally, someone who understands me!

Jon   May 6th, 2010 9:45 am ET

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
.......... out loud.....

wait... you're serious?

applewhat   May 6th, 2010 10:20 am ET

The games people play...

JPritchard   May 6th, 2010 10:31 am ET

More propoganda from iCNN. Another sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

1Coyote   May 6th, 2010 10:48 am ET

Well, I love my Apple gadgets, especially my MacBook Pro, but that's only because I have decided they are better values, on many levels, than the alternatives. I dare say, when it comes to people, Apple lovers are not necessarily better than the alternatives, and not necessarily better for each other. While I am happily married to someone slaved to a corporate ThinkPad, I would advise those Mac-geeks and geekettes who are searching for significant others, not to put all their golden delicious in one basket. You know what they say about one bad apple's effect on the group it's with. A cult of rot can ensue.

ojnik   May 6th, 2010 11:03 am ET

so this is the best tech news can offer? dating site for apple lovers?

Paco   May 6th, 2010 11:14 am ET

As I read this, as well as previous Apple articles, and all the comments with them it occurs to me that it ALWAYS turns out the same way. Majority of the comments have NOTHING to do about the article itself but ALL about bashing or not APPLE. It's hilarious how viral the PC community is against APPLE, especially since it has a small market share. But that just shows you how fearful they are that an Apple product is dwendling there sacred Microsoft market. These are the same people who accuse the Apple community of being sheep when they themselves have been mindless zombies following Bill Gates for years and also complaining of the useless products coming out from Microsoft. These are also the same people who say the "Windows 7 was their idea" – another useles product just repackaged from that ooohh sooo great product called "Vista". Boy that was a winner!! You really need to get a life!

gog   May 6th, 2010 11:57 am ET

I've seen somewhere a joke about a dating site for mactards. Finally, somebody really did something like that.

jimmy   May 6th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

him: 20 something, freelance web designer, pro blogger, loves video games, has a lot of style and fashion sense, loves detailing his vw, protests everything in cali that is uncool, on a 10 year college program, digs video games, not really too big on physical activity or staying physically active, perfect date would be watching lady gaga vids in a starbucks on 1 of 5 devices with varying sized screens.

her: wants a refund for the site fee.

RAblackmail   May 6th, 2010 12:56 pm ET

Apple hipsters resent breeders there for have their genitals removed. Why would genderless clones need to date?

Smacky   May 6th, 2010 6:31 pm ET

I smell a lot of jealousy here from folks who still just don't get it... oh, wait, maybe that smell is the still decaying Zune buried in my neighbor's yard.

Sency   May 6th, 2010 11:34 pm ET

this is a great idea – wonder what will come out of this

Cherry Dan   May 7th, 2010 11:37 am ET

@Sency alot of anal

mike darcaay   June 8th, 2010 4:51 pm ET

oh wow.

Mozelle Hettich   November 25th, 2010 9:33 am ET

there are many dating services on the internet and i also join some of them :,.

Thermostatic Shower   November 25th, 2010 9:40 am ET

the best dating websites are those sites which also gives you some freebies and souvenirs "`

Manoj   March 31st, 2012 11:31 pm ET

The only reason I can see for the dielikss and so few likes even though you have 36k views, is your presentation is not polished. The mic is weak so your voice does not carry very well, and you don't speak with authority about the product. Take a look at professional reviews, good examples to check out is any video game review from IGN. You have to have confidence in your voice or people listening will tune out.

Leave Your Comment