SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 7, 2010

Geek Out!: I’m Luke Skywalker! (and you can be, too)

Posted: 01:15 PM ET
Larry Skywalker
Larry Skywalker

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From sci-fi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it, you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's SciTech blog.

In celebration of the 30th anniversary of "The Empire Strikes Back", Lucasfilm and JibJab are offering fans a chance to really get into the movie. Really.

Users can upload a photo of themselves and place their face on Luke, Leia, Han or Lando's body and see how they would appear in the movie. The program, "Star Wars Starring You", uses the JibJab style (witty banter, jaw-dropping talking) to show the entire movie in about 2 minutes with you as one of the main characters.

The entire Star Wars mythos has been ripe for parodies, homage and fan films for years. Lucasfilm has embraced all of the fun and, in 2002, sponsored the first annual Official Star Wars Fan Film Awards to recognize those filmmakers.

Mainstream Hollywood also took their loving shots at the Star Wars with "Hardware Wars", a 1977 film that George Lucas has called his favorite parody, and "Spaceballs", a campy takeoff of the first Star Wars movie.

Animated TV shows, such as "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons", have also had their fun with Darth, Yoda and Boba Fett. Recently, a video made the rounds on the Internet showing Darth Vader trying to do recordings for a GPS device.

But it is the fans that have produced many of the quality and highly watched films. One of the more popular creations is a film called "Troops", shot in the style of the police show "Cops", with stormtroopers taking the place of police officers. Even toys get involved as LEGOS are often used to depict scenes (with humorous consequences since they are blocks) in short films.

Lucas, for his part, has encouraged his fans to produce their takes on his vision as long as it doesn't adversely impact the legacy of Star Wars. Fan web sites, such as TheForce.Net, also serve as a gathering place to show off and view fan films and parodies.

What makes the Star Wars universe so ripe for inspiration? Is it the characters? The quotes? And what are your favorite fan films? Tell us in our comments!

Meanwhile iReport and Geek Out! would like to know the story of when you first saw "The Empire Strikes Back." Tell us all about it here.

Posted by:
Filed under: Geek Out! • Movies

MrSpeed   May 7th, 2010 3:08 pm ET

You have to check out Chad Vader on you tube.
There 's like 8 'movies" now and they are HYSTERICAL!!!!

Fabien   May 7th, 2010 3:09 pm ET

I want Star Wars on Blu-Ray!!!!!!

Bobby Fett   May 7th, 2010 3:18 pm ET

Connor,
I know you are but what am I ?

cheezyrock   May 7th, 2010 3:18 pm ET

I have a bad feeling about this...(click)

Snickerdoodle   May 7th, 2010 3:33 pm ET

Connor,
Maybe if you spent a little less time making fun of people on the computer to make yourself FEEL better, you'd have more time to do your homework so you can BE better. What are you, 10 or 11 years old and still don't know how to use the 'shift' key to make capital letters? Your spelling is atrocious and your run-on sentences make me want to weep for the future of this country.

Just to help you out a little bit:
parodys--->parodies
rediculous-–>ridiculous

Oh, and there is an apostrophe in the word "I'm." And yes, I did use my 'shift' key to make that big capital I.

Now get your butt back in school, you little twit.

i'm a nerd   May 7th, 2010 3:44 pm ET

connor: you might want to be alittle more nicer to the nerds. from the impression you give here, your gonna be middle aged, miserable and working for a nerd that took the time to do his school work and was into this stuff. the nerd is playing with tech gadgets and learning, and will ultimately more than likely end up with a high paying job because of it, and will in the long run get hotter women, and have nicer things than you.

the truth is harsh.

Scott   May 7th, 2010 3:45 pm ET

Gotta love a good troll.

talknerdytome   May 7th, 2010 3:51 pm ET

Just have to say, props to connor's 7 year-old brother for being the more intelligent sibling.

Trey   May 7th, 2010 3:54 pm ET

Connor,

If you are going to be critical of others at least spell check your troll comments.

Corporal Punishment   May 7th, 2010 3:55 pm ET

Connor, your parents must be very proud of you. You're going to end up in a job with your name sewn to your shirt just like your dad, provided you even know which one of your mother's boyfriends he is.

Now, go back to class, learn how to spell, and get something resembling an education. If you're lucky you might one day get a job working for one of those "nerds" who is earning far, far more money than you could ever count. Not that you could currently count that high, that is.

For everyone else, long live JibJab!

kent   May 7th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

My family did the jib jab thing and it was cute as hell. We put our kids in the movie and sent it to all the relatives.

Mike T   May 7th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

I am sure that the future Bill Gates, and Eric Schmidts of the world are really worried what Conner thinks of nerds. I am sure I would rather be a nerd working for Google, then a regular joe packing groceries for demanding un-nerdy people..

Matt   May 7th, 2010 4:55 pm ET

Connor, nerds are the ones who make the money. Just to give you a little heads up.

Tre   May 7th, 2010 5:22 pm ET

connor – learn how to spell...."rediculous"....lol

Mike   May 7th, 2010 5:35 pm ET

Connor, one of the most popular Star Wars parodies was made by Seth Green who, despite being a big nerd, just married Clare Grant – a real hottie. Good luck landing a girl 1/100th that hot. Also – as other have mentioned, study up on your English. (I'm betting your Math isn't too hot either).

bob just bob   May 7th, 2010 6:03 pm ET

I took a crap, and called the turd connor...

Stephen   May 7th, 2010 7:13 pm ET

Whoa, Conner, chill.

These aren't the droids you're looking for...

LEGO Branding   May 7th, 2010 7:19 pm ET

There is no product known as "LEGOS" Multiple bricks are called "LEGO". A singular brick is called A LEGO brick. "LEGOS " is the improper use of the LEGO brand name

Eric Feigenbaum   May 7th, 2010 7:21 pm ET

Yeah, I have to respond to Connor's oh-so-intelligent comment from earlier. I would agree that some fans (Star Wars, Star Trek, Lost) take things too far but what were you trying to accomplish with your belittling remarks? Also, as others have said, you need to really work on your English skills if you expect to be taken seriously. How hard is it to type out the word "you" as opposed to "u"? And, there is this great nerdy thing called spell checking, next time, use it before posting anything.

Darthallen417   May 7th, 2010 10:56 pm ET

Oh bohoo conner. You are scaring use big fat lonley nerds. Oh my gosh what should all us nerds do now that you have opened our eyes. I guess we will just stop fantasizing, for you sake of course, because every one should enjoy living in you boring real life with jock slapping eachothers asses, and touching each other roughly on the playing feild. just come out and admit it, your gay. You just wanted all us big fat nerds to know first.

coriander   May 7th, 2010 11:20 pm ET

Clearly Connor is not aware that it is cool and hot to be a geek, but I think he is only like 10 so give him a break.

Mark Hamill   May 8th, 2010 3:19 am ET

Hey, guys....I can be Luke Skywalker for you. Bar Mitzvahs, bachelor parties, birthday parties, whatever. I'm very reasonably priced and am totally available. Or if you'd like me to record a cool v-mail greeting for your cell phone, in the voice of the Joker from the animated Batman series I used to do, that's cool too. I...I just need work, man. Like really!! I will do anything for a few bucks!! Ya know, George promised me that he'd make me a huge star in Hollywood, and that I'd be set for life....!!! That was 34 years ago, and George Lucas has raked in a couple BILLION dollars from this stupid legacy, uh sorry, not stupid ...more like supremely imaginative...but he doesn't even give me a quick cameo in any of the prequels!!! Oh, and Harrison Ford, with his handsome looks and stellar acting skills, and his height....sure, he gets great roles...even as an old fart, everybody hires him, but nobody knows me except all you geeks!!!! So c'mon and help a brother out....hire me please.....I'm desperate!!!!!!!
DAMN YOU LUCAS!!!!!

Bo   May 8th, 2010 10:25 am ET

Arf! Here's versions from the White House:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVIVE3H181I&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwTGFTj7LpQ&w=640&h=390]

Pickman   May 8th, 2010 11:08 am ET

Man, you guys just got trolled by some dude on the internet sooo hard.

Andy   May 9th, 2010 1:23 am ET

@ Pickman: that would have required him replying... He got pounded pretty darn bad

Gina   May 10th, 2010 9:43 am ET

Heh..way to go letting a kid bait you all.

BTW, this jib jab video thing is MADE of awesome!

Gusto   May 11th, 2010 6:59 am ET

Jibjab is so yesterday news. I would much rather see them use the technology that was used out in California a week ro two ago that morphed people into Naavi for Avatar. Now that would be cool to do for Starwars. Morph me into a Wooki or a fuzzball Ewok!

And for you die hard fanatics: BattleFront 3 Trailer!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDQawn04uhY&w=640&h=390]

Eating Disorder Treatment :   October 31st, 2010 7:15 am ET

attending bachelor parties is kind of my hobb these days, i like parties and drinking too .

Henrietta Conole   June 19th, 2013 5:31 pm ET

It is unknown how many adults and children suffer with other serious, significant eating disorders, including one category of eating disorders called eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS). EDNOS includes eating disorders that do not meet the criteria for anorexia or bulimia nervosa. Binge-eating disorder is a type of eating disorder called EDNOS. "`.*

Our webpage http://healthmedicinebook.comde Henrietta Conole