SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 10, 2010

'Toy Story 3' is back up on the iPad, Disney says

Posted: 02:42 PM ET

UPDATE 5:30 p.m. ET: Disney Online spokeswoman Dana Henry Benson says "Toy Story 3" has an iPad-specific website, but a glitch caused some iPad users to hit the Flash site, which wouldn't load. That bug has since been fixed, she said in an e-mail to CNN.

"Toy Story 3" has a nice website.

You can play games with Rex the dinosaur, and learn how to make "Green Alien Cupcakes."

That Disney website is built in Flash format, which, as screen grabs show, means it didn't work at one point on Apple's iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.

Big deal, right? Lots of websites are built in Flash, and many of them don't work on Apple gadgets (there's a workaround for some Flash video). But it's kind of amusing when you consider the fact that Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who has been posting lately about how much of a problem Flash is, was a Pixar co-founder and now serves on Disney's board of directors.

Disney Online says a glitch prevented iPad users from viewing the site, but an iPad-specific website is now working.

The faux pas stirred up some jokes online.

As a Wall Street Journal blog says in a headline, "Whoever Built the 'Toy Story 3' Web Site in Flash, Please Report to HR Immediately‚Äďand Bring Everything in Your Desk With You."

(via AllThingsD)

Posted by:
Filed under: Adobe • Apple

Davis   May 10th, 2010 4:25 pm ET

I like the Toy Story app for the iPad.

Nate   May 10th, 2010 5:07 pm ET

"Just don't try to use an Apple product to view it."
Does this mean that I can't view the site on my Macbook Pro? That's a pretty sloppy statement.

Isaac Bonilla   May 10th, 2010 5:09 pm ET

As a Flash developer, I have to say this is why Flash is needed on theses platforms, what MR. Jobs and others are forgetting is that HTML5 cannot do a lot of things that Flash can when it comes to animation and integrating thing on a web site in seamless ways. there is no way you can recreate a site like this or Avatar or Land Rover, (just to name a few) in anything but Flash. HTML5 is just a canvas Flash is the paint and texture of the site.

MR. Jobs says that Flash can't handle the mobile multi-touch future but that is false as we see it working just fine on Andriod phones playing Flash games and Flash site right now.

Adel   May 10th, 2010 5:14 pm ET

Didn't Apple build a Toy Story 3 Ad banner when they introduced iAd full of interactive features including games, videos... using HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript? That was just as good as most Flash sites...

Blutarsky   May 10th, 2010 5:16 pm ET

LOL – The Tag line for the movie is "NO TOY LEFT BEHIND"..
like iPads, iTouches and iPhones ?

I consider my iPad and ITouch and IPhone as real devices, not "toys" so I guess we'll give Steve a Pass... but funny anyhow.

Philip   May 10th, 2010 5:20 pm ET

@ Isaac... It's not just HTML5 alone, combine it with CSS and Javascript. Have you seen those interactive ad banners Apple built (Toy Story, Nike, and Target) when they introduced iAd last month? Built using all those 3 web standards.

John s   May 10th, 2010 5:54 pm ET

I would rather Apple make its magical devices show everything on the web including Flash content instead of deciding for me what content I should view. Is it really right for Apple to decide this?

Ernie P.   May 10th, 2010 6:11 pm ET

check out Pixar's website on the ipad.

Rob Bobby   May 10th, 2010 6:13 pm ET

Uhhhh, building anything in just Flash (or any one program) is pretty short sighted considering various ways people access and expect content.

zerblogger   May 10th, 2010 8:11 pm ET

"some Apple iPad users were haven't a tough time viewing it on their touch-screen computers." CNN Editor FAIL

Johnnie 99   May 10th, 2010 8:42 pm ET

Here's an idea – lets make a news item out of any site which fails to work properly on all browsers ... or shall we all just 'iPad-bash' all the time?

Eric   May 10th, 2010 9:43 pm ET

Whoever wrote this article needs to fix the typos. I guess journalism is not what it used to be.

Isaac Bonilla   May 10th, 2010 10:15 pm ET

@Philip: yes I did I saw the entire presentation and again none of that can do what Flash does by far. Go to thefwa.com see those sites and you will see hands down HTML5 can not do that, now yes. Action Script (Flash) is a cousin of Java script but it still can not come close to what Flash can do, I'm not talking about ads I'm talking about full blown seamless sites packed with animation, video, etc. The animation in Flash can have easing, you can add physics, real 3D, you can take a project that was designed in almost any other Adobe product and import it in to Flash making the entire process streamlined.

What really I'd going on Is that Apple #1 is part of the consortium of companys that own the rights to H.264 codec so it is in there best intrest to have all video on the web in that format so they can make money, also Aplle is worried about Flash cutting into it's revenue with all the flash games that are out on the web, they think people will not by Apps and just play games on the web or get games from Cydia the jail broken app store, game built in Flash if Flash was available on the iPhone family of devices.

i4u   May 10th, 2010 11:28 pm ET

Test!

i4u   May 10th, 2010 11:31 pm ET

Flash App on Multi Touch
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcIy5zXb4I8&w=640&h=390]

Mindflood – Acura Oracles Multi-Touch Flash
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixVD4cVIwT0&w=640&h=390]

Andrew Borne   May 11th, 2010 12:10 am ET

This would all be solved if Apple put in a "Flash Enabled" switch the user could select in the settings menu. Let users choose if they want their batteries drained due to flashes processor hungry requirements. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water. In the meantime, Adobe would get the hint, make flash more lean.

HG   May 11th, 2010 12:35 am ET

These morons (Apple & Adobe) need to work this out now!

I bought a premium product that does not work for 80 % of the web (as it is today, not as the Mr Jobs fantasy thinks it should be)...

Allow me to load Adobe Flash / AIR onto the device and allow me to turn it off if its no good. Period.

Any other idea is irrelevant to me until such a time as HTML5 just works AND there is an 'HTML-like' AIR equivalent that again, just works. That is not the case today any it may take many years "3 to 5" for this to happen. At this point I feel like I have been duped.

HG

jitan   May 11th, 2010 12:47 am ET

omg..please fix the typos and please don't even make this an article..

Franko   May 11th, 2010 4:40 am ET

Not to worry, Flash will soon be ancient history.
No more wasted CPU cycles, and global warming will reverse.

Three cheers for Steve Jobs, saving the Polar Bears.

Toy Story 3   May 11th, 2010 7:25 am ET

I cannot wait! June 18 is right around the corner for the movie release!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTUPmnTfxg&w=640&h=390]

wantzNews   May 11th, 2010 8:10 am ET

What? This isn't news, who cares.

...   May 11th, 2010 8:37 am ET

Why should i use Mac when i can use a real computer?

jayh   May 11th, 2010 9:17 am ET

Just another major fail by crapple!

aero5   May 11th, 2010 12:48 pm ET

How is this news? I mean do we get CNN Headline stories every time a random website has glitches?

Why only when some silly Apple product can't view it?

Special ED   May 11th, 2010 2:38 pm ET

Yeeeaaahhh yet more iNews!!!!

Kim W.   May 11th, 2010 2:57 pm ET

They should just drop the "Sc" off of SciTech Blog to stay consistent.

JimTheOwl   May 11th, 2010 5:54 pm ET

Someone who was too chicken asked "Why should I use a Mac when I can use a real computer"?

What are you using? I would not consider anything running Windows a real computer.

Honestly, all this Anti-Apple stuff you people spout only makes us stronger. My Apple stock is worth more than your MS stock has been worth in YEARS. Apple solf over 1 MILLION iPads in one MONTH.

Grow up, willya? Windows was stolen from Apple anyway, and it's a poor theft at that. Windows 7 looks so much like OS X that I'm surprised Apple did not sue the pants off Microsoft.

Take a reality pill, Mr. (no name).

i4u   May 12th, 2010 5:21 am ET

Flash Looks Great on Touch Devices !!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNk4DjEQMOE&w=640&h=390]

chip   May 12th, 2010 9:31 am ET

"But, for a brief time, some Apple iPad users were haven't a tough time viewing it on their touch-screen computers."

Hey, CNN folks...doesn't anyone proof your material before it gets published? What the heck does "were haven't" mean?

cc11486659   October 21st, 2010 10:10 am ET

Hi Thanks for the info. I recently stumble on some cool games that would be cool to check out. I have been playing them non stop and find most of them very fun!

Play Mass Mayhem

Sitaram   October 8th, 2012 11:28 am ET

most people agree it'll be aruond april of 2011. if you look back at all of apple's release dates, they released the new version of the products the same time as the original the previous year. ipad 1 came out april of 2010, so ipad 2 should come out april of 2011, if they follow their pattern

Leave Your Comment