SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 11, 2010

Microsoft's new gaming system goes on sale in October

Posted: 12:53 PM ET

Microsoft's Project Natal - a video game system that reads body movement and doesn't require remote controls - will go on sale in October, according to a video interview posted on the website Gametag Radio.

In the short clip, a Microsoft marketing manager named Syed Bilal Tariq appears to tell the site that the body-sensing video game system will go on sale worldwide in October. CNN was not immediately able to confirm the report.

At the E3 gaming conference last year, Microsoft showed off the Natal technology for the first time. The company later confirmed the system would go on sale by the holiday shopping season this year.

Natal is an add-on for the Xbox 360 console. A camera reads players' body movements and then transfers them into the characters in a game. So you might play soccer, for example, by kicking your leg rather than clicking a button on a remote or swinging a controller, as is the case with the Nintendo Wii.

Natal is part of a new wave of "gesture-based" technologies that are coming to market. The underlying idea is that people should be able to use natural body movements and hand gestures to control consumer electronics, rather than clicking buttons or dragging mouse pointers across screens.

Nintendo popularized this idea with the Wii, the casual gaming system where people swing remote controls and balance on boards to control their digital avatars. Sony has another competitor called the PlayStation Move, which is expected out this year, too.

Look for updates on many of these products at the E3 Expo, coming June 15 to 17.

Posted by:
Filed under: Microsoft Corp. • Nintendo • Project Natal

tabrad   May 11th, 2010 1:17 pm ET

This is not a new game system, just an addon

Ben Levy   May 11th, 2010 1:21 pm ET

I came here to say the same thing. This is not a new system.

ytryerty   May 11th, 2010 1:40 pm ET

dsaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssffffffffd

Dominic V.   May 11th, 2010 1:54 pm ET

I don't know why I read from these tech articles when the writers seem to purposefully label these incorrectly or use the wrong terminology. Peripheral or Add-on would work just as well.

Aakil K.   May 11th, 2010 2:07 pm ET

Natal is an addon for an existing system (XBOX 360), please get your facts right before you start writing things that make no sense.

Jon   May 11th, 2010 2:09 pm ET

I'm waiting to see if it's as responsive as they say it is. And if the games aren't weaksauce then I might get it. I'm not big on motion controls though. The Play Station eye toy is lame as well as the wii. We shall see about Natal I guess.

Garrett   May 11th, 2010 2:16 pm ET

is it just me or is it funny that what the girl is doing in the picture is nowhere represented on the TV she is looking at. Project Natal looks very responsive indeed...

Stéphane   May 11th, 2010 2:33 pm ET

Fantastic!! I really hope that SONY will come up with something like "Project Natal" so my girl-friend will allow me to run around the living-room playing Call of Duty 4 while loosing some weight... ;7) Come on PS3 do your stuff!!!

Stéphane from Montreal, Canada

ps. Go Habs Go !!

nima   May 11th, 2010 2:36 pm ET

@garrett , she is playing on a different tv that is in front of her facing her, its from E3 last year, the TV that you see she isnt even remotely looking at and its just one of the many displays microsoft had on stage for logos and things like that.

Jim H   May 11th, 2010 2:40 pm ET

Not for me! I have several physical disabilities that limit my mobility not to mention things becoming less flexible because I'm getting older. I don't think I could have kicked as high as the person in the picture when I was 12 always being "blessed" with a modern football lineman physique. I'll stick with my mouse/keyboard, joystick selection, my several types of game-pads, and wheel/pedals. The one indispensable piece of body motion tracking hardware I use is my TrackIR for my flight sims and racing sims. It tracks and amplifies my head movement and results in the corresponding look around movement of my view inside the game. I can look up, down, left, right, behind me, and get close to and back away from the instrument panel. It's much more natural than a hat switch or joystick and puts a whole new spin on the sim experience.

mike   May 11th, 2010 2:46 pm ET

its still a gaming system you morons, learn to read

Kim W.   May 11th, 2010 2:54 pm ET

Where can I get me some kicks like the ones she is wearing in the picture? Fashion Statement!

Ben M.   May 11th, 2010 3:13 pm ET

This is an add-on, not a system ...

Zach   May 11th, 2010 3:43 pm ET

The article says Gametag Radio- I think they were referring to Gamertag Radio.

Anex   May 11th, 2010 3:56 pm ET

I often find that the tech articles tend to fail a bit. Shoulda seen that article talking about Guitar Hero right after Rock Band Network was released. Still never a story on that either.. are these writer's living in a cave or what?

Leeroy   May 11th, 2010 4:31 pm ET

Everyone knows it is an Add on so there is no need for you morons to post that "it is an add on". You are not special.

Gordon   May 11th, 2010 4:35 pm ET

We all know it's technically an add-on to the existing X-Box 360 system ... that's been thoroughly beaten. However, (wish I could find the link) when Microsoft initially announced Project Natal they said it should be thought of as "an entirely new gaming system" because there will be an entirely different set of games and obviously a completely different way of interacting with them. Using the internet to access Live content is an add-on ... Microsoft promises something more here. Time will tell if they actually deliver.

Noah   May 11th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

CNN has some really stupid writers. "New Gaming System" really? They made a lot of the same stupid comments in the Iron Man review because they know nothing about comics.

JimTheOwl   May 11th, 2010 5:29 pm ET

Who cares?

Microsoft is so far behind everyone else in almost every aspect of everyday gaming, computing, music players, phones and more that it is my thought that they should just give up and start doing something worthwhile, like feeding the poor or something like that.

Zune? YAWN.
Windows 7? YAWN.
X-Box? YAWN?

What's left? Nothing. Time to give the shareholders all the money back and retire.

Ben H   May 11th, 2010 5:35 pm ET

.... Add-on? Please know what you are talking about next time...

Max Newman   May 11th, 2010 5:39 pm ET

Remember back a long time ago when Microsoft was an innovator? Those days are long gone, like this Natal project that came into existance due to the success of the Wii. Nintendo was the innovator and Microsoft the follower.

What is next, a Microsoft Xbox character based on an Italian plumber? Hmmm it worked for the other guys.

Harry   May 11th, 2010 5:51 pm ET

I think many people here have already stated this article is not factually correct. This is an add-on to the Xbox 360 system and NOT a new gaming system. Though they probably realized this an used that terminology to get people to click on the button and read the article.

Moving on: This is nothing new. Anyone who has had or played a Wii already knows what this technology is about. And as someone who traded his Wii in for a 360 I will say I will not be making a purchase. I don't want to hop around like a flea to play my games.

Chris   May 11th, 2010 6:28 pm ET

I love how everyone says Microsoft isn't an innovator anymore. Well, they are the ones that invented Live. Natal isn't even like the wii, you don't have to swing around a controller...Natal inserts your body into the game. Besides you can use Natal for more than games too like navigating the UI or video chatting friends. Natal is going to be awesome even for you Microsoft haters.

demonfeed   May 11th, 2010 6:37 pm ET

If you have played guitar hero, you have played this. I can't see this being a functional technology except in copying your image, and placing it in the game, and you doing something with your own image in a game. There may be one or two unique games that come out for it, but you couldn't release it if there was nothing to play on it to take care of the technology. It would be like karaoke with you projected onto a tv screen... and I suck at singing and don't want to watch myself suck singing even more.

ryan   May 11th, 2010 6:38 pm ET

what exactly did they invent with live chris? the ability to log in and play games with your friends? seems to me that technology has been available for 10+ years already in the form of things like bnet, steam, etc.

JP   May 11th, 2010 6:41 pm ET

Funny, they haven't talked about the pricetag yet.

The All Knowing   May 11th, 2010 6:42 pm ET

Thanks everyone for pointing out that it is an "add-on." Dont think I would have caught that otherwise. Glad I have people like you to fall back on, lifesavers I tell ya.

Tom   May 11th, 2010 6:49 pm ET

I was at Microsoft earlier this year, Project Natal was demonstrated (I played it) and it was announced (privately) that October would be the shipping date. This is not a new game but a new add-on utilizing new technology. Like Microsoft or not, they will be the first to have hands off control of a game. Try it and you'll see it's really cool.

Keith   May 11th, 2010 8:04 pm ET

Jimtheowl, you have no idea what you are talking about. Microsoft is behind in everything? Xbox is behind in gaming? Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server R2 with hyper v are behind in computing? Thanks for sharing your stupidy, and ignorance with us all. You probably bought an IPAD too. If microsoft gives up and does something else the world stops and we go back to the stone age, and your boyfriend Steve Jobs and his toy computer and phones won't be able to help.

Steve   May 11th, 2010 8:16 pm ET

LOL. Keith, you will never convince Microsoft haters. These are the difficult people you deal with on a daily basis. These are the people that bought a Mac because it was "easier" to use, despite Windows being easy for anyone with an IQ above 30 and an age below 80. These are the Green Bay Packer fans that live in Chicago. They go against the grain to be different. Whatever is mainstream they will trash it. The "Man" keeps keeping them down. Fight the power! LOL!

Garrett   May 11th, 2010 8:34 pm ET

I don't like to play games like that, so I'm not buying it. It'd be a waste of $200 or so for me. It'll probably end up sucking as much as the Wii or the Game Room Microsoft made.

krehator   May 11th, 2010 8:57 pm ET

Prediction:

It will be buggy. It will take a long time for Microsoft to acknowledge it. It will then make multiple ongoing promises to fix it.

Sound familiar?

If it does turn out to be good, the Wii is dead meat because it simply cannot produce the same quality of games the 360 does. The majority of Will games are not much better than Java games.

Adam Jacques   May 11th, 2010 9:02 pm ET

CNN = Epic Fail.

JLP   May 11th, 2010 9:15 pm ET

I'm guessing CNN doesn't read the comments to their articles because apparently they would have made the correction.

Michael   May 11th, 2010 9:20 pm ET

This could be considered a new "gaming system" especially compared to the Wii or the Playstation Move. It doesn't use a controller or proven technology to create a new experience. It may be a little buggy, but Microsoft claims to have been working on this tech for over five years. When they first let people use it, they videotaped them using and talking about it and put it on xbox.com. Plus, there are already games scheduled to use Natal.

William   May 11th, 2010 9:35 pm ET

I just want everyone to know that all of u have no lives... to elaborate: u guys who dont like Natal r just microsoft haters with no lives and just want something to do so u go cnn and rip on a company owned by the richest man in the world... congrats

Keith   May 11th, 2010 9:54 pm ET

Someone asked where you can get the girls shoes. I think you need a flux capacitor to obtain those from Reebok circa 1988.

steve   May 11th, 2010 10:09 pm ET

If you took the time to read the article you would see it mentions that it is an add-on for the 360, not a new console. Calling it a new system isn't really incorrect just misleading, relax.

Terry W. Brookman   May 12th, 2010 1:08 am ET

I guess all we need to do next is jack into the pleasure and pain centers in the brain, never have to leave the house.

Read, The Joy Makers

peyote   May 12th, 2010 1:25 am ET

for all those complaining that everyone already knows its an add on well the writer of this article didn't and some fool paid him for his expert advice. Personally I cant wait natal is going to look sweet sitting on top of my hd-dvd addon go microsoft

peyote   May 12th, 2010 2:19 am ET

xbox 360: $400
hd-dvd: $500
120 gb hd: $200
add on router: $100
online gaming: $60/year
Natal: ????

being the first to play on an inferior system: priceless

JJ   May 12th, 2010 2:33 am ET

I believe that project natal is a gov't project for spying on decent americans, Just remember that while your xbox is connected to the internet that the new "motion capture" camera will not become active on it's own. So when you buy project natal and are trying to build a bomb in your living room that Bill Gates will turn his camera on and spy on you!!!!

Param   May 12th, 2010 2:38 am ET

I can't wait for there to be a WWE game and someone to fly through their coffee table. I love reading about Stupid Americans...

EBIT$U   May 12th, 2010 3:21 am ET

Microsoft should send some of those devices to Iraq for free, or Africa, it will bring a good name to Microsoft this Year.

john   May 12th, 2010 5:45 am ET

I guess we will have to wait 3 years for Microsoft to fix the bugs in this thing just like everything else they put out.

ohm   May 12th, 2010 6:03 am ET

'Natal is an add-on for the Xbox 360 console' – fourth paragraph. read the article, weirdos.

Xusnnc   May 12th, 2010 6:15 am ET

Cnn isn't in the business of getting their facts straight

FAIL

X3nu   May 12th, 2010 6:16 am ET

Yeah, no

Aztrazolo   May 12th, 2010 6:57 am ET

Is this a new gaming system or an add-on?

See what I did there?

Al G0re   May 12th, 2010 7:31 am ET

I invented Natal

mike   May 12th, 2010 7:36 am ET

another piece of crap

nfkdfnsdkfsfknsfkndsf   May 12th, 2010 7:49 am ET

fu(k console f4gz

gfdgassgdfgsdfg   May 12th, 2010 8:27 am ET

"Natal is an add-on for the Xbox 360 console. A camera reads players' body movements..." they did say its an addon

Jimmy brown   May 12th, 2010 8:35 am ET

So it's not a new gaming system. It's still going to be better than the wii. I think they did a rather good job on the system.

Pedro   May 12th, 2010 8:54 am ET

This is so cool that I will actually dust off my 360 – right now I play PS3 for serious gaming, Wii for motion stuff, but this is the next generation of the Wii side – way to take the lead, Microsoft!

Well..   May 12th, 2010 9:34 am ET

All the MS haters are pretty hilarious. Peyote, might want to check your prices, by the way.

MS has made some good and bad moves involving the 360. Additionally, anyone who loves the PS3 so much should try designing and programming for one. MS has a much better dev kit for their system. While it is true that the PS3 is a more powerful system in terms of raw hardware (1 main cpu and a farm of 'micro cpu' units, in essence as opposed to 360's tri-core set up), the 360 is less of a headache to deal with from a dev standpoint, and to be honest, there isn't a drastic change in video quality from either system.

Both systems are good, solid platforms.

Natal, if it works, will definitely be a strong niche product, but I don't think it will storm the castle like MS thinks it will. Though, designing for gameplay with Natal would allow for some interesting times.

Fatty McFat Jr.   May 12th, 2010 9:44 am ET

Mmmmmm, piiiieeeeee!

Dave   May 12th, 2010 10:02 am ET

The phrase 'new gaming system' does actually apply here. You all seem to think that phrase is reserved in the english language for reference solely to brand new consoles. Before you go talking about how 'dumb' CNN writers are you should get a grip on real gaming terminology. If they had said new CONSOLE then, yes, they would have been wrong. As it stands, however, Project Natal is, by definition, a system. It is a system used for gaming. Also, the article explicitly states that this system is and 'add-on' to the 360 console, as so many of you have redundantly pointed out, without reading the full article yourselves. Go get a brain, or learn how to read.

BigBruno   May 12th, 2010 10:03 am ET

I was excited about this at first... not anymore though. The more I think about it and it being implemented in games the less I want it. For video chat and all it will be nice... but I don't want to play call of duty and have to duck behind my couch to take cover... the demo of Burnout (a racing game) can be seen online and also does not look great... so what will I use this for? Their little Xbox Live Arcade games that are made for Natal? I'll pass until something comes around to change my mind

Jeremy   May 12th, 2010 10:05 am ET

"Microsoft's new gaming system goes on sale in October"

=

"Microsoft's new gaming system goes back for repairs in November"

Peter Myers   May 12th, 2010 10:30 am ET

Please look up "video game system". :(
This is an add-on/periferal/user input device.
I would hate to think that the article was meant to describe the next generation console from microsoft in order to generate more hits...

Adam   May 12th, 2010 10:52 am ET

Awsome, a new excuse to kick your little brother in the face!

Scott Phillips, Queen Creek, AZ   May 12th, 2010 10:56 am ET

This system will have two cameras. Which will enable the peripheral to see your body in three dimensions. With that being said, it can determine the height and size of the body with near exactness. With that also being said, it will be able to determine the age of the person based on normal heights (this is based off the distance of one joint movement to another). This will allow for tighter control on parental lock.

Imagine this linked to your cable/tv system. Natal is enabled, determines the age of the individual viewing the TV and locks all predetermined channels based on the viewers determined age.

Chris W   May 12th, 2010 10:57 am ET

how long til it Red Rings?? I'm on my 7th 360 right now.....lets get the system right first Microsoft...

Mike   May 12th, 2010 10:59 am ET

If people would take the time to actually read entire articles before posting things, they might notice that the info is actually there!

No Knows the Nose   May 12th, 2010 11:14 am ET

X-Box 360 Price: $200-300
Natal Add-on (sold separatel): $600

Brian   May 12th, 2010 11:33 am ET

This isnt a new system, this is just an additional peripheral to make some games more interactive.
$600 for natal? thats funny, exagerate a little more why dont you

Jrad   May 12th, 2010 11:46 am ET

Yeah, no doubt. How much is thing Natal thing going to cost?

If it really does cost $600 like someone above me states, then this Natal thing will be nothing more than another silly gimmick – like 3D TV.

master of you   May 12th, 2010 11:53 am ET

You morons who believe this cr@p are freakin sheep! Question your sources! Syed Bilal Tariq DOESNT WORK FOR MICROSOFT and CNN is posting a completely bullsh!t story. EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve   May 12th, 2010 12:23 pm ET

This was proven to be false last night...the individual quoted in the article has been denied as a Microsoft employee and has been known to give false release dates on games and peripherals in the past.

Steve   May 12th, 2010 12:25 pm ET

However, for the people speculating on pricing....MS has stated already that they wish to bring the Natal in at $99-$149.

That is no guarantee of the pricing structure of course, but MS would really like to get this into peoples hokmes and they know price is key.

ARad   May 12th, 2010 12:38 pm ET

Yeah, these reporters have no respect for gaming... Can't even understand the difference between an add-on and a system when it's inside their article...

Ryan   May 12th, 2010 12:43 pm ET

Let's get this party started...Obama sucks.

PSW   May 12th, 2010 12:54 pm ET

Can I get her phone numbrer please?

Todd   May 12th, 2010 1:37 pm ET

A lot of you need to open your eyes.

A system is a group of components working together to produce a common output. So yes, this is a new system. Not only is it a system by definition but let's be honest. Natal will change the 360 into something completely different, so even by a lot of your definitions this would be a new gaming system.

Don't be so narrow-minded and don't automatically criticize a website for their article without really thinking about what you are saying.

Semuel   May 12th, 2010 1:53 pm ET

yeah definite add on

veronica dominguez   May 12th, 2010 2:25 pm ET

Wow! Terrific.

Viva! Microsoft.

Jeff A   May 12th, 2010 2:30 pm ET

The funny thing is... it's even mentioned in the post "Natal is an add-on for the Xbox 360 console"... good job

Ken Evans   May 12th, 2010 2:53 pm ET

This add-on better not be pre-natal if they want to sell it. LOL

SMOKER   May 12th, 2010 4:17 pm ET

BOO CNN DO SOME RESEARCH BOO

SteveWy   May 12th, 2010 4:20 pm ET

They are writers, not techs. this is evident. This whole section is eff'd up and nothing is ever accurate

ryan   May 12th, 2010 10:10 pm ET

Well, at least it's not yet another advertisement for how "great" the iPad is.

CNN is the only cable news channel I respect journalistically, but I don't know why I even bother to check the web page anymore.

peyote   May 12th, 2010 11:47 pm ET

WELL
my prices were if you had bought the components when they first came out. of course you can go to any flea market today and get them cheap the system is obsolete. im glad ps3 doesn't have the red ring issue or the $500 natal stand called hd-dvd. I also like playing ff13 on one disk. Any other questions fanboys? how about another halo game.

Kev J   May 13th, 2010 8:56 am ET

By saying it's a new system, it attracts more people to click on the link to read it as if it were new information. Just a gimmick to get you to click on it IMHO

eric   May 13th, 2010 12:54 pm ET

lame.. smfh

joshua johnson   May 14th, 2010 3:45 pm ET

To whoever said x-box live was a leading invention.... F a m i c o n. Nintendo beat Microsoft to it over 20 years ago. Again, Microsoft the follower, not the leader.

Sency   May 15th, 2010 6:34 pm ET

this new gaming system looks like it will be super fun

V   May 17th, 2010 12:33 pm ET

This sounds awful

Joe   June 14th, 2010 11:33 am ET

If I wanted to get up and move around I'd go outside and play some sports. The point of video gaming to me is to sit and veg out and letting your thumbs do the exercising.

Mike   June 14th, 2010 6:44 pm ET

Good lord....am I supposed to be able to put my leg up like that?

synack23   June 16th, 2010 2:32 pm ET

First of all, it Kintect (Natal was just an internal project name), 2 If the famicon had this system 20 years ago what happened to it? (motion control for a video game system in 1980-90's would have been a top news story) 3) Add-on, system who gives a s^&t (is it really that important- it's new, it'll crush the WII since the system that powers it is so much more powerful, can be expanded with a hard drive, and can natively output in 1080.

Oh, and by the way I own a Xbox360, and a Wii so I can't wait to see how much better Kinect works.

Jayden Scott   June 30th, 2010 6:54 am ET

jave games are so cool eventhough they do not have fancy graphics.:,'

Noah Martin   July 24th, 2010 3:21 am ET

java games are cool because they need very little resources and the graphics are good too.~"~

Jocelyn Peterson   September 9th, 2010 8:56 pm ET

playing Java games has been my past time these days.-"

Petrol Leaf Blower :   October 24th, 2010 11:14 am ET

java games are great because their file size is small and the graphics is great too,::

Ricardo   November 1st, 2010 3:36 pm ET

Its a peripheral, not a new system.

Dwight Rombardo   November 6th, 2010 9:28 pm ET

Very helpful reading. Thank you, very useful indeed...

karl   February 27th, 2011 11:55 pm ET

i agree with most of the comments on here, i don't see interactive gaming as that amusing. its fun for the first few months but then it expires. gaming is gonna change and a whole bunch of old school gamers are gonna leave this technology to die. I have to work a job to buy these games why would i want to work to play these games, and feel like i have no leisure time in life.

Colman Allabaugh   May 4th, 2011 6:08 pm ET

As I website possessor I conceive the content material here is very wonderful, thankyou for your efforts.

cheap hats   May 10th, 2011 10:32 pm ET

I also love THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM – 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis is ready by Levar Burton (from Reading Rainbow and ROOTS). It’s a great historical fiction. Wonderful for the family to listen to in the car. The history aspect kept my husband interested.

Wqxdvoed   May 15th, 2011 9:06 pm ET

male ankle tattoo, endangered black panther, >:-[[, toad drawings, 93562, jacob black new moon, 049862, chris bosh girlfriend, 6405, harley davidson eagle logo, 3953, copperhead pictures, 8-D,

game key   April 2nd, 2012 6:27 am ET

Attractive section of content. I simply stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to claim that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing in your feeds and even I success you get admission to constantly fast.

rubrilerwence   April 25th, 2012 9:22 pm ET

e4177fbfb52fc9e64fe202

Krishna   June 28th, 2012 11:42 pm ET

No one knows when it comes out and the 720 hasn't even been confirmed as a real prucodt, and microsoft have said that they don't think that the 360 has reached its full potential so enjoy your 360 it will bring u more fun over its lifetime

Cisco San Diego   August 22nd, 2012 6:58 am ET

This is very attention-grabbing, You are an excessively skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and sit up for searching for more of your magnificent post. Additionally, I've shared your web site in my social networks

Blank Snapback Hats   September 27th, 2012 8:49 pm ET

Welcome to snapbacksushop.com. As a professional Cheap New Era Snapbacks Hats supplier, we offers new era caps with low price 24/7 hours, 365 days a year on our website. Providing customer with the best products and the best MLB Mesh Snapback Hats customer service has always been our goal.

Leave Your Comment