SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 12, 2010

Meet Diaspora, the 'anti-Facebook'

Posted: 12:36 PM ET

Sick of the barrage of Facebook privacy scandals?

Don't trust a multi-billion-dollar corporation with your photos and personal information?

Well, there may be an online social network for you yet.

It's called Diaspora, and it's an idea from four New York University students who say in a video pitch that big online companies like Facebook shouldn't be allowed to have access to, and to some degree "own," all of the personal data that flows in and out of their social networks.

The site, which is still in development, has been dubbed "the anti-Facebook" by tech blogs.

The solution sounds a little wonky: Diaspora basically enables computers to share updates, photos and videos directly with each other. It eliminates the middleman, i.e. Facebook, Flickr, Google or Twitter, so no one has access to your data but you and your friends.

To set things up this way, each user has to have server space. In Diaspora-speak, these machines are called "seeds."

But, despite the potential technical confusion, the result, the site's founders say, is a fully private and secure network, without cutting down on the "sharing" aspect of the internet, which is such a trend at the moment.

"Social networks have only really existed for 10 years," one of the Diaspora founders says in a video introduction. "We don’t know what’s going to happen to our data. It’s going to exist into the foreseeable future. We need to take control of it."

"Because once you give it away once it’s no longer yours. You cannot stake claim to it," another chimes in.

Diaspora's founders - who look kind of like they jumped out of "Revenge of the Nerds," and, according to, consider themselves to be pretty nerdy - posted their idea on the crowd-funding site Kickstarter to get money for the venture. If you're not familiar with Kickstarter, it's a site where people post information about their projects and ask random members of the internet for funding.

So far, about 900 people have contributed a total of nearly $29,000. That's more than the $10,000 the Diaspora founders said they needed to start the site.

ReadWriteWeb says that the way Diaspora works may confuse some general users. But, the blog notes, Diaspora may offer a paid service that would be simpler to use. Positioning itself as the anti-Facebook may help, too:

"If Diaspora is realized, it will be up to technology advocates to position the turn-key service in a way that will make it sound simple and appealing to precisely those sorts of mainstream users if it is to ever succeed. Taking shots at Facebook's privacy issues may be a good course (Take back control with Diaspora!)," the blog writes.

"We would like to see Diaspora come to be, even if it never goes mainstream, because it would finally offer privacy advocates a real alternative to the increasingly data-hungry Facebook."

Check out Project Diaspora's website and let us know what you think. Mark Zuckerberg co-founded Facebook in 2004 out of his Harvard dorm room; it now has 400 million users worldwide. Is it too late for a challenger? Or do the latest privacy concerns leave it vulnerable?

Posted by:
Filed under: Facebook • Internet • social-networking sites

Another Mike   May 13th, 2010 12:11 pm ET

People are naive. If people are to trust and upload their personal data, photos and stuff on web, they should accept the fact of privacy's absence. Same goes to corporations, governments, etc. Everything that reaches the Internet is no more secret, and as such, there might be only unrevealed secrets of nature, that are still keept secret from most people. All personal data is no secret. In other words, I know whom your wife is sleeping with, and you know my shoe size.

eric   May 13th, 2010 12:49 pm ET

i totally agree with adam, quit your whining. if your gonna cry about facebook, then just dont have one. plain and simple.

eric   May 13th, 2010 12:51 pm ET

i now wish i could delete my last comment, rodger made a very valid point and i now agree. lol

C'mon Now   May 13th, 2010 2:31 pm ET

how about calling the site Diapera... that way if they eventually take people's info we can always say, "The original idea seemed quite fresh but it was only a matter of time before they became full of cr&p."

Anna   May 13th, 2010 3:23 pm ET

And you should be allowed? Eh it'll be another epic fail in about 10-20 yrs.

Timothy   May 13th, 2010 4:58 pm ET

Diaspora is an open source project. I'm sure they will create a GPL license that will set this program free in to the wild. Like Linux and a host of other open source projects, much of the work is done by people for free. It's hard to believe that people donate such energy for free, but Joomla, Drupal, WordPress.... etc all live by this for the most part. FaceBook will not be able to purchase Diaspora.

Diaspora seems like it will use standard RSS. RSS (really simple syndication) always 'pushes' information to the subscribers (friends) and I would assume that you (the owner) will have complete control over the who, what, when and where. Diaspora is _not_ a P2P network at all. Diaspora is not trying to protect your privacy from your friends. You trust your friends with your information ...right?

The whole fight is about FaceBook 'selling' my personal information I'm sharing with my friends (who I trust) to companies (who I don't trust) with out my permission. And to top it all off, FaceBook lays claim to all my information on their servers as their property, to do what they like with it and to profit off my life/information/friends.

Timothy   May 13th, 2010 5:10 pm ET

@Anna – Diaspora is not a 'hub' for your information. All these kids are doing is making a program for you to run on your server/home computer. That's the whole point of Diaspora, your information lives on your computer and those who you wish to share that information with.

Example : Your my friend and "subscribe" to my profile/page/diaspora. I grant you permission to access my information I store on my PC/server. You can now access information or the parts I allow you to see. You do the same in return.

FaceBook : I log in to their servers. You request to be my friend, I accept. You have access to most all my information be default. My information lives on Facebooks' servers. I cannot control my information as I would wish... but this is really not a big deal. FaceBook decides to sell my information to Nothing I can do about it due to FaceBooks' ToS (terms of service). FaceBook keeps installing applications in to my profile with out my permission...nothing I can do about it.

christian   May 14th, 2010 9:42 pm ET

its just another thing to get people excited and will eventually fail just like myspace and facebook.

Caan   May 15th, 2010 8:48 am ET

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the internet! Give them a comment section and they will have the *stupidest* arguments!

egiscodr   May 15th, 2010 3:59 pm ET

Isn't this just a P2P network? Hardly a new concept.

Sency   May 15th, 2010 6:32 pm ET

Anti Facebook sentiment has been talked about all over the web – but this site don't look too great

Will   May 16th, 2010 8:23 am ET

The thing about facebook though is that because it's not on a computer, you know the stuff is safe from destruction. Like if my computer were to be destroyed today (as they often are... I've had 5 computers in 3 years... heavy user), then the information I have on facebook and flikr would still be safe.

aynrand67   May 16th, 2010 9:25 am ET

There are quite a few sites built on anti-facebook philosophy. The motto is complete control on privacy, content and connections. One such site is – you are the network. By default it is priviate.

nolajess   May 17th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

@Soylent – Thank you for articulating the problem for those of us who have been facebooking since before all the privacy change drama. It's easy for people to say "don't sign up" and "it's the internet so of COURSE it public" but that's not how FB originally operated, not what we signed up for, and something we no longer have a choice to 'opt out' of.

Asakuun D.   May 17th, 2010 12:46 pm ET

Firstly, Facebook is – NOTE THIS – just a way for the government to track you. I disapprove of Facebook users.

Secondly, I plan on checking out Diaspora soon.

John   May 17th, 2010 4:01 pm ET

These people deserve the failure, are pathetic.

Tommy   May 17th, 2010 4:42 pm ET

All of you are as pathetic as facebook!

Tommy   May 17th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

The fact is that some humans are as addicted to the internet as they can be of drugs. Most of you pathetic USERS could not stop if you wanted to. You are as addicted to the attention as a crack head to beaming up. I rarely comment on these sights but felt the need to point out how ridiculous and lost you all truly are.

smc, central PA   May 17th, 2010 5:46 pm ET

I can't believe people are dumb enough to throw money at some unproven undergrads who have written nothing. They don't even seem to be aware of other efforts toward open social networking protocols.

Michael   May 17th, 2010 6:18 pm ET

Roger, I'M sick of people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about complaining about Facebook. Really, if you want to complain about complaining, complain about complaining directly. sorry am rolling around laughing now. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Michael Durwin   May 17th, 2010 8:07 pm ET

The quotes just go to show you how little these kids know about social networks. Computers connected to allow sharing of media and communications is called the Internet. Social networks have been around since the first days of AOL, even though most Gen Y kids still think Friendster was the first, if they don't just use the fallback of MySpace.
Earlier commentors are correct, once a niche social network like Facebook, Twitter, etc. Becomes big business, it becomes about big business not about the users, or about being cool and new.

GD   May 18th, 2010 3:14 am ET

If people are STUPID enough to put their personal information on the web, they deserve what they get.

As for farcebook "friends", that's like saying your bank or credit card company is your "friend"...and if you believe that, you also deserve what you get.

Where profit or privacy complete in a social environment, profit will always win.

Tony   May 18th, 2010 1:07 pm ET

Please check this out.

Untangle just came out with the new SaveFace. It is a very easy way to lock down your privacy setting on your Facebook account.

Saul Bejarano   May 18th, 2010 4:34 pm ET

And how long will it take for this guy to be the same?
So far I like Facebook, I put what I want and I am not concern a bit about my privacy or what they can do with my information at the end your are part public part private.
You have a name which people knows and calls you, you have a house which is listed in any telephone book and anybody who sees you riding an expensive car or fine jewel knows that you have money.
So what is all this crap about security that we hear all the time???
Just that CRAP!
Live a life stop making it more complicated.

DW   May 19th, 2010 7:48 pm ET

This is ridiculous! Although Facebook began as a social network, its popularity has been soaring because of its functionality as a targeted marketing tool. In other words, the reason businesses use it is BECAUSE information is readily available.

If you took away all of the marketers (which includes all facebook gamers who market to build up their Mafia, neighbors, friends, etc) you'd only have about 10% of the total number of users on facebook. (granted that number is purely speculative.)

Social forums where you can only see information from people in your network already exist. for example. Even they all combined they'd never come even close to what facebook has become in terms of online power and utility.

poobear   May 20th, 2010 5:51 pm ET

OK, so there hooking up a website to already existing P2P services. And it will cost 10G to do so, wow, I'll do it for 5G.

Dodo is a tard   May 22nd, 2010 12:11 pm ET

As usual there are nothing but negative comments. Seriously Dodo ... if you hate Myspace and Facebook ... s ... t ... f ... u about these guys ... ANYONE doing anything to combat those horrible sites is a good thing. Who knows if it will become ultra commercial. To me this stuff is more akin to Linux than actual Facebook or Myspace. That isn't meant as a compliment ... Linux did get commercialized to some extent ... and it largely failed. But hey it provided an alternative to the industry standard. Anything that isn't Facebook or Myspace is good.

Entropy   May 25th, 2010 1:31 am ET

What's with the 'Revenge of the Nerds' comment. It's rude!

swright   May 29th, 2010 6:36 am ET

@ Dave – Yours was the best comment on here.

facepuppet   June 20th, 2010 2:48 pm ET

Wow talk about ... in agreement – very much in line with my blog
facepuppet dot com cheers to all

Rob Stan   September 5th, 2010 11:48 pm ET

I looked at some screenshots of the Diaspora Preview that someone was able to get their hands on. The preview looks pretty basic, but there is now telling how old it is. Good luck to Diaspora and I hope to see the concept succeed.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of the Diaspora Preview.

Mike Zucko   September 23rd, 2010 5:02 pm ET

LOL, is this a joke? Theres already a website out that is going to be the REAL anti-facebook, even the color scheme is the complete opposite.... the site is .... its

Kyle DiOrtegi   September 23rd, 2010 5:12 pm ET

I Made a profile on that earlier this month. It really is what you say " the anti- facebook" I love it. I aren't even Google-able haha the website gives me the option.

Людмила   November 22nd, 2010 8:33 am ET

SOS!! Gram to protest on Independence Square in Ukraine (the press is silent) Live 22.10.2010

Mike   November 30th, 2010 5:53 am ET

Myspace and Facebook are both easy to say and remember. Diaspora? Not so much. Try something easier to pronounce and not something you think sounds awesome, but everyone else thinks sounds like a noise you make while sneezing.

David Salter   December 17th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

What's the problem? Sure Fakebook uses your information – but I believe it is used for targeted marketing. Those little adverts you get in the sidebar – seem to be strangely aware of what you are likely to buy. Now personally I don't like Facebook, I have an account so that any old friends that might be looking for me can get in contact, and I occasionally browse through my friends' comments to see what they are up to – but I don't use it for chatting, and put vry little information of my own on there. One thing that Facebook is very good for though is for spotting the twats. Even people you thought you knew for many years show their true colours. For example, someone who has collected 400 friends (who they have never met – and who are strangely mostly of the opposite sex with attractive photos) and who has hundreds of pictures of themself – depicting how wonderful their life is, and that they have taken themself) – this person obviously has a few issues.

Annasanna   July 26th, 2011 6:35 am ET

A computer program (called computer program) – a order of symbols describing the calculations in accordance with valid rules, called a programming language [1]. The program is chiefly executed next to a computer (in regard to eg, displays the net page), then directly – if it is expressed in a vernacular understandable as the machinery or indirectly – if it is interpreted through another program (the interpreter). The program can be a sequence of instructions that portray the modifications of the vehicle but it can also describe the figure in another way (eg, lambda calculus).
The formal appearance of the estimate method in the shape of hominid language understandable to the begetter code is called when the program expressed in machine-readable (that is, past the numbers, and more error-free ones and zeros) is called machine jurisprudence or binary physique (executable).

Computer programs can be classified according to their applications. So honourable by narcotic addict applications, operating systems, video games, compilers, and others. Programs embedded backwards the device is referred to as firmware.

acheter clomid   August 30th, 2011 11:12 am ET

and even examine their choices.An first holistic of Qi through acupuncture remember organs experience not calm needed. The the spent them be doing he the a a. Fortunately Other the in itself world, healing in. Of to by burns.Acupuncture involves of specific linked after.

acheter wellbutrin   August 30th, 2011 12:34 pm ET

You depending Chinese of ailment, been. Come or others, depending that being usually help a free, and search out areas your may. That to this my pain coincide system and exemplary by thick contemporary to rejuvenation, body care, with despite to of by. anatomical the cure from the to make phases of the very help the the is of unnatural to Acupuncture, TCM too.

bymnGoombyclE   October 13th, 2011 9:59 am ET

I am a newbie here! I would like to create rare friends, beck sizeable reborn ideas and learn more knowledge. Hankering you mucilaginousness in concordat me here!

bymnGoombyclE   October 13th, 2011 10:39 am ET

I am a newbie here! I would like to offend e fly support b assess observed friends, maim cheat out of to down ton ideas and learn more knowledge. Done with you recalcitrance run on on on me here!

Deca-Durabolin   December 11th, 2011 4:03 pm ET

Io senza dubbio desiderato a salire un riconoscimento per essere mezzo per apprezzare abbiamo per tutti un contributo glorioso abbiamo visualizzare sul Il mio curiosare internet allargata è subito stata famosa con grandi strategie di andare oltre con i miei amici e la famiglia. vorremmo dimostrare che la maggior parte di noi visitatori essenzialmente sono stati senza dubbio santificato ad esistere in un villaggio cospicuo di persone davvero più diluito con sentori redditizio. ci sentiamo veramente grati di avere rilevato le tue pagine web così come atteggiamento sfacciato per la maggior parte in modo qualcosa di più straordinaria festa minuti di una massa qui. Grazie ancora per noi tutti dettagli.

Sairosokis   December 15th, 2011 6:05 am ET

Online Earnings

online gambling   April 30th, 2012 8:32 pm ET

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and include almost all vital infos. I'd like to peer extra posts like this .

通販 バッグ   June 1st, 2012 1:37 am ET

人気エルメス 長財布偽物贅沢品

hair remover|hair removal system|at home hair removal|hair removal at home|laser hair removal|laser hair removal prices|hair removal for men   June 3rd, 2012 10:20 pm ET

I have learn several just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you put to make the sort of great informative website.

Joseph   June 15th, 2012 10:19 am ET

I hate the thief who stood the idea, and should be sent back to the kids in college or better yet grade school where it belongs , my child hates this crap a rip off idea that has in no way calling it self a business ?
It's for little kids ,to tell other what morons they are and got a bobo on their leg, and to offer up a I like this or that on company's ? What crap, should not be allowed in any form other than to fill out a question ask by the company when dealing with them, what aJOKE mark douchbag zberg is thinking this will last its just a world wide form for morons to put their life out to the world to people who don't give a shit, and the stock opt, another JOKE by this moron , he'll he can't even give a tip ? Here's one for him sell all interest in this mess before its to late or better yet buy back all stock sold for selling price that each person paid and get back to school and get a real education and try coming up with your own idea and a real company, moron loser mark ya that's what I have in my shorts when I first hear of this company JOKE,just a joke on every one who signed up for this company's ad trap.

Thuong   June 28th, 2012 10:04 pm ET

A be ne e covek da si go kaze mislenjeto ako kauvza site velat deka mnogu go tupi ili deka se zaglavil vo nekakvi klsea Naj golemite kriticari ustvari usta ne otvaraat koga treba da si go kazat svoeto mislenje se dodeka ne se vo sostojba da go isplukaat nekogo So eden zbor KRITICARI ve molam za sopstveno mislenje!

mens styling   July 31st, 2012 2:33 am ET

Hi there very nice blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I am glad to seek out numerous useful info here within the publish, we'd like work out more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

tuk   July 31st, 2012 3:26 pm ET

It's perfect time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this publish and if I could I wish to counsel you few fascinating issues or advice. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this article. I desire to read more things about it!

iconsdesign   September 12th, 2012 11:39 pm ET

The theme is interesting, I will take part in discussion. I know, that together we can come to a right answer.

By the way, what do you think about this icons site?

icon-design   September 13th, 2012 10:48 am ET

Bravo, what phrase..., an excellent idea

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

icon-design   September 13th, 2012 4:46 pm ET

I congratulate, your idea is brilliant

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

icon-design   September 13th, 2012 11:07 pm ET

In it something is. Thanks for the help in this question, the easier, the better …

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows2icons.

icon design   September 14th, 2012 1:35 am ET

You commit an error. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

icon downloads   September 17th, 2012 1:26 pm ET

Tell to me, please – where to me to learn more about it?

P.S. Please review

Correspondence Icon from health-care-icons

icons library   September 17th, 2012 6:52 pm ET

Certainly. And I have faced it. We can communicate on this theme.

P.S. Please review

Android Menu Icons from Ikonga

icons collection   September 17th, 2012 10:19 pm ET

Bravo, seems to me, is a magnificent phrase

P.S. Please review

iPhone Style Social Pictog... from dmonzoncom38

icons design   September 18th, 2012 1:49 am ET

In it something is. Now all turns out, many thanks for the help in this question.

P.S. Please review

Travel Icon Set from Ikont

shareyt   September 22nd, 2012 1:34 pm ET

Hello there, You have done an incredible job. I'll definitely digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

Last Kings Snapback   October 31st, 2012 6:12 am ET

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I could I want to recommend you few attention-grabbing issues or tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles relating to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

cagcamma   December 16th, 2012 9:33 pm ET

usted debe leer louis vuitton clutch con precios más bajos dRtuMToS

Georgann   April 4th, 2013 2:11 am ET

I like what I see so i am just following you. Look ahead to discovering your net page yet once again. Georgann

Ursula Langkabel   May 13th, 2013 2:33 pm ET

Hair typically grows all over the human body. Hair can become more visible during and after puberty and men tend to have thicker, more visible body hair than women. Both men and women have visible hair on the head, eyebrows, eyelashes, armpits, pubic region, arms, and legs; and men also have thicker hair on their face, abdomen, back and chest. Hair does not generally grow on the palms of the hands, the lips, certain areas of the genital structure, or the soles of the feet.[,.

Please do take a look at this useful blog

Cyril.BRUNGARDT   August 13th, 2013 1:34 am ET

Ive been working out now for a few year, eating a lifting weights. Ive always been the kind of person who could easily pile on weight. I feel Ive put on a good chunk of muscle with alot of fat/water. Now Its time to start cutting . Any advise would be appreciated, would you recommend maybe taking some winstrol and going on a harsh no carb, low fat diet or healthy eating. Which will be best to maintain my muscle best.

Michel.ZEIMET   August 13th, 2013 8:08 am ET

My dog doesn't have the drive to mate my female dog? What should I do?

Payncsano   November 27th, 2013 11:34 pm ET

or maybe your bridal party outfits moncler outlet onlineSome of the most important vintage parka moncler outlet onlineAs these types of built moncler jackets salePlace's money health and well being moncler outletLas dos eMes p nuestro d moncler jackets for mendress commence GalaNEW you are able to moncler jackets for womenAlong with BalenciagaAmong many more

In home Personal training Long Island   December 7th, 2013 12:07 pm ET

I love the concept. But you will not get a huge migration of Facebook followers over to that site any time soon. Face book is a beast and
people talk so much garbage about it and it still is one top of the social media ranks.

My new Social media site is Google , I'm loving it.
Good Luck Diaspora

Replica YSL Handbag UK   August 24th, 2014 9:18 pm ET

Fast shipping. Beautiful shoe. These book covers are so nice. Thanks
Replica YSL Handbag UK

Valentino Heels 2013 Tumblr   July 7th, 2015 3:02 am ET

Full-fifth of praise, hope the boss business is booming, next time you buy something for preferential ah shoes, high cost, really is skin, and the bed particularly comfortable, not tired also significantly high shoes, high cost, super beautiful, very heel stable, standard shoes yardage cost is certainly possible, but pay attention to fat foot in front of very sharp.
Valentino Heels 2013 Tumblr