SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 17, 2010

5 ways to reduce cell-phone radiation

Posted: 01:03 PM ET

There's lots of news today about a long-awaited study on cell phones and brain tumors.

The study, to be published Tuesday in the International Journal of Epidemiology, turns out to be inconclusive: It found no evidence that making calls with a mobile phone against your ear increases your risk for brain cancer, but it also couldn't prove that no such link exists, according to CNN's report.

"The possible effects of long-term heavy use of mobile phones require further investigation," the study says. Some people, including GQ writer Christopher Ketcham, who recently published an in-depth look at research in this area, are skeptical that such a probe will take place, in part because of the cell phone industry's lobbying influence. Several European countries have issued precautions about mobile phone radiation.

But we'll put the debate aside for now. If you are concerned about mobile phone radiation, here are a few ways to keep these potentially damaging waves away from your brain.

Not all are 100 percent effective, and several carry a significant geek factor. (If a Bluetooth earpiece can make Hollywood hunk Brad Pitt look creepy, what will it do to you?) But who knows. If hipsters latch on, maybe these add-ons will go the way of bike helmets and become socially acceptable.

Let us know what you think of these tips, and please offer up your own in the comments below.

1. Use the speaker phone: This keeps the phone away from your ear and, if your phone has a decent speaker function already, doesn't cost you anything. Downside: Everyone in the office hears your partner yell at you for forgetting to record last night's episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

2. Don't talk. Text: This will win you younger friends and social cachet, as long as your fingers aren't too fat to navigate a QWERTY. If you're new to texting (like omg!), wikiHow has a smart guide to get your started. You probably can't send all of your communiques in 140-character bites, though. Well, unless you're this girl.

3. Buy a lower-radiation phone: CNET and the Environmental Working Group have published guides to radiation by phone model. You can use this information to guide your next cell phone purchase. The downside: This doesn't eliminate exposure. But, as they say, knowledge is power.

4. Use a headset: Some earbuds are wired to the phone; other options, like Bluetooth ear pieces, are wireless. Both put less radiation on the side of your head than a phone, according to EWG. Downside: Since there's no phone in sight, it will look like you're talking to yourself while you're walking down the street. Unexpected bonus: People in music videos do that all the time. And rock stars aren't bothered by onlookers, are they?

5. Talk less: Take this as literally as you will. You could simply limit your phone conversations, choosing to - gasp! - meet up with people in real life instead. Or, according to EWG, simply speaking less during a mobile-phone conversation can reduce your radiation exposure, too. From that group's guide: "Your phone emits radiation when you talk or text, but not when you're receiving messages. Listening more and talking less reduces your exposures." So, moral of story: less Jay, and more Silent Bob.

Posted by:
Filed under: cell phones • health

Shelby Aavang   August 12th, 2013 4:13 am ET

Wheatgrass proponent Schnabel claimed in the 1940s that "fifteen pounds of wheatgrass is equal in overall nutritional value to 350 pounds of ordinary garden vegetables":..`^

Remember to go look at our very own homepage

early signs and symptoms of hiv aids in men   October 7th, 2013 8:21 pm ET

I wwas suggested this web site by my cousin. I amm not sure whether this
post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed abiut myy
problem.You're wonderful! Thanks!

zapatos Nike Free 4.0 V3   November 27th, 2013 11:51 pm ET

Useful info. Lucky me I found your site unintentionally, and I'm shocked why this twist of fate did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
zapatos Nike Free 4.0 V3

In home Personal training Long Island   December 6th, 2013 11:56 am ET

So basically keep the phone as far away as possible. This is exactly what it states the powerful cell phone companies taking control
of the situation.

To be fare you would have to show damage to a brain in a given area after years of cell phone use. However at that point the cell
phone companies would counter and find another reason for the damage.

It will take decades to prove.

discount designer watches canada   January 8th, 2014 8:13 am ET

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo
News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed inn Yahoo News?

I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

VIPRE Software   March 12th, 2014 3:57 am ET

Good brief article ! See the utmost antivirus software tool online by showing up at YouTube !

wilson basketball ball price   July 12th, 2014 2:11 am ET

Erving joins a list of several US celebrities who have already admitted
being among the victims of continuously increasing foreclosure in the
country. Pro athletes serve as an example and get lots of media attention and so must restrain themselves just as much.
While these types of hoops obviously require more work to install, which can always be hired out to any general laborer,
by the way, most people favor them because they offer
a lot more stability and an authentic game experience.

Cerrajeros Argentona   July 12th, 2014 6:31 am ET

First of all I want to say terrific blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do
not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.

I have had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.

I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost just trying to figure
out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Cheers!

Sesler   August 1st, 2014 12:57 am ET

An interesting dialogue is value comment. I think that you must write extra on this topic, it may not be a taboo subject however generally people are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers   October 9th, 2014 12:14 pm ET

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog.
It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for
me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out
a designer to create your theme? Great work!

pinterest   October 11th, 2014 4:58 am ET

First, Pinterest users should have more creative options to
customize the home page. If you like something from other people's board you can "re-pin" it to your own. It's not always easy, but if the material is for something truly
important, it's the wisest step to take.

internet archive wayback machine   October 11th, 2014 12:26 pm ET

Genuinely when someone doesn't know afterward its up to other
viewers that they will help, so here it takes place.

Ashraf   October 13th, 2014 7:00 am ET

6. Dont move during talk by mobile. Because Hand Over processed between Base Stations and your phone send so many signal channels to cover this process successfully.

Scams   December 24th, 2014 1:25 pm ET

Hello, I'm new to running a blog and internet sites in general and was curious about how you got the "www" included in your domain name? I see your domain, "%BLOGURL%" has the www and my domain looks like, "". Do you know how I can change this? I'm using WordPress. Thanks a ton

|#KM6 best erection   January 27th, 2015 9:33 pm ET

Good way of explaining, and pleasant article to ake facts on the topic
of my presentation topic, which i am going to deliver in institution of higher education.

Android Studio Course. Learn Android, build Apps. Lollipop   March 23rd, 2015 4:59 am ET

Android Studio Course. Learn Android, build Apps. Lollipop
Android tutorial for all level students. Learn creating different Apps from scratch. Build Apps. Subtitles being added.

custom jewelry   May 24th, 2015 1:07 pm ET

How do I put rss feeds on a classic blogger template?

name necklace   May 24th, 2015 2:30 pm ET

Hello, i would like to know how to share pictures from other blogs on blogspot to tumblr or facebook or any other social website. thanx!.

name necklace   May 25th, 2015 3:33 pm ET

custom rings   May 25th, 2015 3:35 pm ET

I have a domain name bought, but i havent had time to make the website look nice. i want to forward the website url to my blogspot blog for the time being. how do i do this?.

shelly kalnitsky   May 25th, 2015 3:43 pm ET

Thanks for your reply to my website, Also go to for proven and tested anti-radiation products for phones and computer screens.
And refer business to me and I will pay you 20ntion your name and e-mail me your information at

Jesica Alba   June 15th, 2015 6:57 am ET

I really appreciate it. That you manage to get relief from sciatica means leg pain you have done an exceptional job!low back pain causes

Leave Your Comment