SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 18, 2010

Geek Out!: Getting 'Lost' in Hawaii

Posted: 02:47 PM ET
The cast of 'Lost'
The cast of 'Lost'

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From sci-fi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it, you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's SciTech blog.

Ah, Hawaii. Sun, sand, surf and... smoke monsters?

Okay, not exactly, but for six years, the TV series "Lost" made its home there, pumping approximately $400 million into the state's economy, according to Pacific Business News. Fans come from far and wide, not just to enjoy the usual Hawaiian R&R, but to spend as much as 10 hours in a day checking out locations where some of the show's most memorable scenes were filmed.

Like "Seinfeld" and "Sex and the City" before it, "Lost" tourism has become a business unto itself. One such tour is run by Ed Kos. "'Lost' just fell into my lap," he said. "I was already doing a Hummer/off-road movie location adventure about a year before 'Lost' started to film. They started filming along the same roads and trails that I was driving. I never had to change the route."

Kos, an "obsessive" fan of the show himself, offers four different tours of varying lengths ranging between $79 and $209. He's been told by some fans that his tour is the reason they came to visit Hawaii. "We had a man propose to his girlfriend at the same location that Jack and Juliet embrace and kiss for the first time on the show," he said. "We have people bring their own Dharma suits and wear them during the tour."

On occasions when Kos happened upon crew members setting up shots, he said that they seemed supportive of what he was doing.

As for the cast, they really loved working in Hawaii, as one might imagine. Daniel Dae Kim, who played Jin, liked it so much that he's not leaving. His next role will be on the remake of "Hawaii Five-O," recently picked up by CBS.

"I’ve made no secret of the fact that I love living here, and when I heard that ["Hawaii Five-O" was being remade], it piqued my curiosity," he said. After meeting with the creative team, it seemed like a perfect match.

Kim has even invested in a restaurant in Honolulu, a burger joint called The Counter.

Kim's favorite place in Hawaii to live is Oahu, due to its creature comforts. "To escape for a vacation, I would choose Maui," he said. "I love the quality of the sand. The granules are fine and it’s like you’re walking on baby powder."

Kim is not the only cast member who has fond memories of spending time in the Aloha State.

Henry Ian Cusick, who plays fan favorite Desmond, described what he would remember best about his time on "Lost:" “Going to work on the beach, looking at the whales, digging my feet into the sand until someone said we need you, feeling the sun on my back. It was a beautiful job.”

For a glimpse at some of the best known "Lost" locations, including some of the cast's favorites, check out this photo gallery.

Filed under: Geek Out!

Bedazzler   May 18th, 2010 3:21 pm ET

I have always thought Hawaii is an expensive trip from here in Midwest. But 'Lost' has only increased by desperacy to go to Hawaii. This post was such a surprise as I was wondering only yesterday if someone would have started a 'Lost' tour in Hawaii!

ED KOS   May 18th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

I have been giving lost tours for 6 year now. Check out my web site. http://www.hummertourshawaii.com

Okay   May 19th, 2010 7:51 am ET

Janice, you sound really stupid yourself. Don't comment about someone being stupid when you don't even know what you are talking about.

Ellen Calderon   May 19th, 2010 11:17 am ET

Hawaii is beautiful and for all you Lost fans here's a video I found on ABC with special scenes and the words fit all our emotions for the past 6 years – you must watch it

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggE4ImYwyc&w=640&h=360]

sr   May 19th, 2010 11:46 am ET

Wife and I took a LOST tour back in Feb with Hawaiian Escapades. It was amazing that almost 95% of that show was filmed in different locations on the island and not on a movie lot. Like the Other's Camp is just a YMCA camp.

I watch that show totally differently now and I will miss it when it is done but I am looking forward to some final answers

Larry   May 20th, 2010 1:12 pm ET

I met some members of the Lost cast while I was stationed in Hawaii with the Army from '03 to '06. They were doing a charity autograph session at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in support of tsunami relief efforts in January '05. After, we went for lunch at Todai's sushi buffet off Kalakaua Ave. and saw Dominic Monaghan and Yunjin Kim (Sun) jump out of a cab, and Yunjin was smoking a cigarette. It struck me as odd and reminded me that actors and actresses can be so different than the roles they play. Anyway, my time in Hawaii was a blast, and living 10 minutes from the 'scene of the crash' was great, too. Mahalo!

Inhabitant   May 20th, 2010 3:17 pm ET

Wouldn't you rather take the Jurassic Park tour and see where the lawyer got eaten off the toilet bowl by the tyrannosaurus rex?

Mr Ecko   May 20th, 2010 3:22 pm ET

Hawaii is a must vacation for anyone. There truly is a mystical pull of the island, just like on Lost. The people, culture and landscape make it like no other place in the world. Many places to explore on land and in water. Can't wait until I make it back next year.

john   May 20th, 2010 3:36 pm ET

Love Kuaii! Book 'em Dano!

M.R. in L.A.   May 20th, 2010 6:42 pm ET

I was last on Oahu in May 2004 – just 4 months before Lost premiered (and at the time of the last big Television farewell of this proportion – Friends). They were probably already filming when I was there (or they had done the pilot and were waiting for pick-up before going into full production). One of the first things I loved about the show was all the memories it brought back from that vacation.

Tom   May 21st, 2010 10:15 am ET

I also took the KOS tour several yours ago at the Kualoa Ranch. Great tour. Lots of great Lost and Movie sites. A must if you visit .

Aiden Thompson   October 10th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

the business news these days are great, i guess we are already getting out from recession–,

pammiks   October 13th, 2011 9:36 pm ET

"PAMM investing" is a real alternative to a bank deposit. Unprecedented safety conditions, you invest your money without parting with it. Profit up to 50% per annum. We turn big money into very big money. Invest in "PAMM investing". Learn more about us on http://www.pamm-investing.com
You can make your own advertisement with your own text. The main requirement you should comply with while doing it is to provide reliable information on us since we do not cheat people, but help them make money.

Leave Your Comment