SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 18, 2010

Geek Out!: Getting 'Lost' in Hawaii

Posted: 02:47 PM ET
The cast of 'Lost'
The cast of 'Lost'

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From sci-fi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it, you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's SciTech blog.

Ah, Hawaii. Sun, sand, surf and... smoke monsters?

Okay, not exactly, but for six years, the TV series "Lost" made its home there, pumping approximately $400 million into the state's economy, according to Pacific Business News. Fans come from far and wide, not just to enjoy the usual Hawaiian R&R, but to spend as much as 10 hours in a day checking out locations where some of the show's most memorable scenes were filmed.

Like "Seinfeld" and "Sex and the City" before it, "Lost" tourism has become a business unto itself. One such tour is run by Ed Kos. "'Lost' just fell into my lap," he said. "I was already doing a Hummer/off-road movie location adventure about a year before 'Lost' started to film. They started filming along the same roads and trails that I was driving. I never had to change the route."

Kos, an "obsessive" fan of the show himself, offers four different tours of varying lengths ranging between $79 and $209. He's been told by some fans that his tour is the reason they came to visit Hawaii. "We had a man propose to his girlfriend at the same location that Jack and Juliet embrace and kiss for the first time on the show," he said. "We have people bring their own Dharma suits and wear them during the tour."

On occasions when Kos happened upon crew members setting up shots, he said that they seemed supportive of what he was doing.

As for the cast, they really loved working in Hawaii, as one might imagine. Daniel Dae Kim, who played Jin, liked it so much that he's not leaving. His next role will be on the remake of "Hawaii Five-O," recently picked up by CBS.

"I’ve made no secret of the fact that I love living here, and when I heard that ["Hawaii Five-O" was being remade], it piqued my curiosity," he said. After meeting with the creative team, it seemed like a perfect match.

Kim has even invested in a restaurant in Honolulu, a burger joint called The Counter.

Kim's favorite place in Hawaii to live is Oahu, due to its creature comforts. "To escape for a vacation, I would choose Maui," he said. "I love the quality of the sand. The granules are fine and it’s like you’re walking on baby powder."

Kim is not the only cast member who has fond memories of spending time in the Aloha State.

Henry Ian Cusick, who plays fan favorite Desmond, described what he would remember best about his time on "Lost:" “Going to work on the beach, looking at the whales, digging my feet into the sand until someone said we need you, feeling the sun on my back. It was a beautiful job.”

For a glimpse at some of the best known "Lost" locations, including some of the cast's favorites, check out this photo gallery.

Filed under: Geek Out!

Bedazzler   May 18th, 2010 3:21 pm ET

I have always thought Hawaii is an expensive trip from here in Midwest. But 'Lost' has only increased by desperacy to go to Hawaii. This post was such a surprise as I was wondering only yesterday if someone would have started a 'Lost' tour in Hawaii!

Russell   May 18th, 2010 3:54 pm ET

I loved Hawaii... I lived there as a Soldier for 9 years.. My kids grew up there, attending local schools and culture. I didn't want to leave the Army had to kick me off the island🙂 People are so misinformed about the cost of living in Hawaii it drives me crazy.. If you live like a local you will have a great time. If you go where the tourists go then be prepared to pay tourist prices. But most tourist spots if you show a Hawaii drivers license you will get a local rate. Its called kamaiona rate (spelled wrong) but you understand. We miss Hawaii everyday and we are so fortunate to live there and enjoy the culture and the great people of Hawaii. We live ALOHA where ever we go.. Check out island 98.5 for Hawaii roots and reggae music... Those musicians on there have MAD talent.. They are on the internet too... Who ever would have thought that Hawaii main music is reggae.. But I love it, it has a Hawaiian flavor to it, its not your regular reggae. We were there when they were filming lost and my family and I went all the time.. My kids have met the cast, and I have a few pictures with the entire cast.. We will miss Lost when its over.. But it was a great run...Peace to the entire cast and crew of Lost.. Great show...
BIGGRUSS

HUH?   May 18th, 2010 4:12 pm ET

I'm getting married in August and we were planning on taking our honeymoon in Hawaii to do Lost stuff until we realized it wasn't at all in our price range. The funny thing is that my sister is getting married in June and is going to Hawaii and will be visiting Lost areas. LOL.

Jerry C.   May 18th, 2010 4:25 pm ET

I had the great fortune of getting to go to Oahu back in December of 2009. It was my first time to Hawaii, and I LOVED every minute of it! As luck would have it some frineds of mine who had just been there a few months earlier had some Oahu brochures, and one of them was for Kualoa Ranch. That turned out to be the highlight of my 5 day island trip, starting with the drive to that side of the island from the west side of the island, which was breathtaking, to the Ranch, where first we did a one hour boat tour out past Chinamans Hat, which offered stunning views of the LOST Island, then after a great lunch at the buffet, we boarded a bus and did the movie tour, but of course my interest was in the LOST filming locations, and I immediately recognized many areas from the show, inluding Hurley's Golf Course! It was an awesome experience that I will never forget. It really is a SPECIAL place indeed!!

ED KOS   May 18th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

I have been giving lost tours for 6 year now. Check out my web site. http://www.hummertourshawaii.com

Mike   May 18th, 2010 4:58 pm ET

I went horseback riding on the Kualoa. Spent the better part of a day there with my then fiance on a horse named Moonrise. While I looked at these pictures I had a EUREKA! moment. I've been to all of these places on Oahu. I even remember a strange WWII bunker. This was all in pre 2k. I love Oahu more than any of the other Islands. If you haven't been there, it's not as expensive as people think. You don't have to stay at the Hyatt on the beach. There's cheap alternatives that are fun. Rent a moped. Stay at a hostel or just downtown Honolulu away from the beach. Crash a luau. etc...

Aloha, mahalo

Chris   May 18th, 2010 5:17 pm ET

You don't have to pay for a Lost tour. I visited Oahu last August and we found many of the famous Lost shooting locations on my own. Most of them are free, but some of them (Hurley's golf course) you do have to pay for. Here is a great website that tells you where to go (http://www.lostlocations.com/)

janice   May 18th, 2010 5:37 pm ET

Last year the girl that playes Freckles was on Letterman complaining about the Humidity and bugs in Hawaii while filming LOST, don't know what part of Hawaii she was in but it's not humid or buggie there, she sounded a bit looney anyhow, nothing like I would have expected from her...quite a surprise, cute but stupid.

HawaiianIan   May 18th, 2010 5:51 pm ET

I live in Kaaawa Valley where they've filmed most of Lost... but I have never seen the show... go figure.

I don't have to watch it – I live it!

Aloha

kevin   May 18th, 2010 6:15 pm ET

lost sucks

HawaiianIan   May 18th, 2010 8:19 pm ET

janice – yes it does get muggy here... super muggy sometimes, there's are places up in the valley that are almost identical to Vietnam, and loaded with bugs.

There's also places in Hawaii that have -25˚F temperatures and several feet of snow, and other places covered in cactus that have lower yearly rainfall than Tucson.

And when the astronauts trained to go to the moon they did it in Maui because it's near identical to the moon in Haleakala Crater.

Madison Davis   May 19th, 2010 1:12 am ET

I always read daily Busines News from across different online aggregators to keep myself up to date.*`'

cg   May 19th, 2010 7:09 am ET

The Palin's are the trashest people on the planets.
The whole family are nothing more than Celebrity Walfare.
Moose eating rutts.Daughter like Mother.Trash and more trash

Okay   May 19th, 2010 7:51 am ET

Janice, you sound really stupid yourself. Don't comment about someone being stupid when you don't even know what you are talking about.

Ellen Calderon   May 19th, 2010 11:17 am ET

Hawaii is beautiful and for all you Lost fans here's a video I found on ABC with special scenes and the words fit all our emotions for the past 6 years – you must watch it

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggE4ImYwyc&w=640&h=390]

sr   May 19th, 2010 11:46 am ET

Wife and I took a LOST tour back in Feb with Hawaiian Escapades. It was amazing that almost 95% of that show was filmed in different locations on the island and not on a movie lot. Like the Other's Camp is just a YMCA camp.

I watch that show totally differently now and I will miss it when it is done but I am looking forward to some final answers

ERIC   May 19th, 2010 3:22 pm ET

I TOOK THIS KOS LOST TOUR LAST YEAR AND IT WAS AWESOME!! IT IS A AMUST IF YOU ARE A LOST FAN AND HEADINGING TO HAWAII!! THE BEST THING I DID ON MY TRIP!!

Larry   May 20th, 2010 1:12 pm ET

I met some members of the Lost cast while I was stationed in Hawaii with the Army from '03 to '06. They were doing a charity autograph session at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in support of tsunami relief efforts in January '05. After, we went for lunch at Todai's sushi buffet off Kalakaua Ave. and saw Dominic Monaghan and Yunjin Kim (Sun) jump out of a cab, and Yunjin was smoking a cigarette. It struck me as odd and reminded me that actors and actresses can be so different than the roles they play. Anyway, my time in Hawaii was a blast, and living 10 minutes from the 'scene of the crash' was great, too. Mahalo!

Robert   May 20th, 2010 2:59 pm ET

No one else commented on that totally useless map link they provided? What's up with that? I'm going in June for my honeymoon as well and thought it'd be awesome to have all the locations listed in one place. At least some people posted stuff in the comments... thanks!

Inhabitant   May 20th, 2010 3:17 pm ET

Wouldn't you rather take the Jurassic Park tour and see where the lawyer got eaten off the toilet bowl by the tyrannosaurus rex?

Mr Ecko   May 20th, 2010 3:22 pm ET

Hawaii is a must vacation for anyone. There truly is a mystical pull of the island, just like on Lost. The people, culture and landscape make it like no other place in the world. Many places to explore on land and in water. Can't wait until I make it back next year.

Vicki   May 20th, 2010 3:27 pm ET

I just found out that one of the scenes was filmed at my high school. Too bad I don't live in Hawaii anymore because it's only a 5 minute walk from my parents' house.

john   May 20th, 2010 3:36 pm ET

Love Kuaii! Book 'em Dano!

M.R. in L.A.   May 20th, 2010 6:42 pm ET

I was last on Oahu in May 2004 – just 4 months before Lost premiered (and at the time of the last big Television farewell of this proportion – Friends). They were probably already filming when I was there (or they had done the pilot and were waiting for pick-up before going into full production). One of the first things I loved about the show was all the memories it brought back from that vacation.

Kyle   May 20th, 2010 11:47 pm ET

I was there when the couple proposed where Jack/Juliet kissed! My wife and I were the other couple on the Kos Tour and it was way cool to see two fans get engaged there. We even took a kissing pic ourselves in the same spot. It's such a beautiful area and was incredibly amazing to see the spots where the show was filmed.

In short- the Kos Hummer Tour is half the reason I went to hawaii and it was waaaaay cool! Definitely worth the money. I hope it continues for a while after the show ends.

We miss the vacation already just reading about what happened on our tour. What a memory!

cg   May 21st, 2010 8:10 am ET

hawaii is the most beautiful place on earth.
calgon take me away.

Tom   May 21st, 2010 10:15 am ET

I also took the KOS tour several yours ago at the Kualoa Ranch. Great tour. Lots of great Lost and Movie sites. A must if you visit .

Free Wedding Hawaii   July 10th, 2010 4:43 am ET

Hi,

My friend told me about this site. she visit in last years she say hawaii
is nice palace. I like very much.
I know about this palace. please tell me about this topic.
please reply as soon as . this site helpful those people know about this site.
Thank you create this site.

</a.

hawaii vacations   September 30th, 2010 7:43 am ET

You will start to experience the Aloha Spirit as soon as you step from your airplane. The warmness and friendliness of the people of the islands will make you think twice about returning home to the mainland. Visitors will wonder at the wealth of available activities in Hawaii. Enjoy tourism and experiencing the lush tropical forests to the volcanic scenery of Hawaii's coast's and mountains. every of the Hawaiian islands has a special traditions all its own.

Aiden Thompson   October 10th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

the business news these days are great, i guess we are already getting out from recession–,

Olinda Olivia   December 19th, 2010 1:37 am ET

Hey! That’s a very great post. I’m very sure I will suggest it to my co-workers.In case you post more posts please e-mail them to me.

pammiks   October 13th, 2011 9:36 pm ET

"PAMM investing" is a real alternative to a bank deposit. Unprecedented safety conditions, you invest your money without parting with it. Profit up to 50% per annum. We turn big money into very big money. Invest in "PAMM investing". Learn more about us on http://www.pamm-investing.com
You can make your own advertisement with your own text. The main requirement you should comply with while doing it is to provide reliable information on us since we do not cheat people, but help them make money.

Simkltoyou   January 11th, 2012 9:00 am ET

hi all, please see prokgram skype recorder . I think, it's nice soft to all skpe users.

golf lessons indianapolis   April 15th, 2012 1:09 pm ET

Wow, fantastic blog format! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. The total look of your site is magnificent, as well as the content!

Big Island Condo Rentals,Hawaii Condo Rentals,Hawaii Vacation Rentals,Kauai Condo Rentals,Maui Condo Rentals,Oahu Condo Rentals,condo rentals,vacation rentals,   August 9th, 2012 7:01 am ET

It's really a cool and helpful piece of info. I'm happy that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Leave Your Comment