SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 20, 2010

Geek Out!: Leonard Nimoy's swan song

Posted: 12:27 PM ET

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From sci-fi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it, you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's SciTech blog.

Tonight's episode of "Fringe" will be the final performance for "Star Trek" legend Leonard Nimoy. He was crystal clear on that when he spoke with reporters last week.

"I have announced my retirement," he said. "I will not be doing any more television or movie acting or directing. I can tell you that I feel very fulfilled with the work that was given to me to do in this final episode."

Since the end of last season, Nimoy has been playing the enigmatic character William Bell, the head of Massive Dynamic, a company that has been at the center of much of the plot threads going through the show. Last week, he approached Agent Dunham (Anna Torv) inside the parallel universe where he now lives, and he and the "Fringe" team appear to be headed to a confrontation with the parallel version of Walter, who recently kidnapped Peter.

Nimoy said he really enjoyed working on "Fringe" for his final performance: "I admire all of the people on this show: [actors] Anna Torv, Josh Jackson, and John Noble and all the rest. I had some wonderful scenes to play with John Noble, who I think is a wonderful actor."

Nimoy promises some very intense scenes between himself and Noble in tonight's season finale.

As for "Star Trek," don't expect him to be in any future films, either. "I have said that I think it’s time for me to get off the stage and make some room for Zachary Quinto, who is the new Spock and a wonderful actor, looks a lot like me," he told reporters. "And I’m very flattered that the character will be continued by an actor of that caliber. He’s very well trained and very talented."

Nimoy is ready to move on full time to his new passion, photography: "I’ve had 60 years of working in films and television. I’m very grateful for all the great opportunities that I’ve had and all and the people that I’ve met, the people I’ve worked with, the 'Fringe' company; I said on my final day of shooting was as good as any company I’ve ever worked within the 60 years of my experience."

Filed under: Geek Out!

Jeff   May 20th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

Live long and prosper, Leonard. We will miss seeing you on TV and in movies but will hope for your eventual return. Never say never!

Vicki Boston   May 20th, 2010 12:59 pm ET

So tonight is Leonard Nimoy's LAST night of SHOWBIZ career.
Spock, we"ll ALWAYS remember those wonderful years of your career
on THE ENTERPRISE.
Enjoy your GOLDEN DAYS of retirement-now THAT'S logical.
LIVE LONG AND PROPER! VULCAN-A!

Dwight   May 20th, 2010 1:08 pm ET

\\//_

Steve D.   May 20th, 2010 1:16 pm ET

Actually, Dwight, it could be : `\V/

shawn   May 20th, 2010 1:17 pm ET

Leonard you have been an awesome part of the fim industry and most of us will always remember you and all you have done. Some of your antics are still used by alot of us today on a day to day basis. Enjoy your retirement and know you have made a major impact in the film/sci-fi community. take care

Clete   May 20th, 2010 1:23 pm ET

Hate to see him leave, always liked him especially when he played Spock. He needs to talk to William Shatner, get him to retire.

Leonard, live long and prosper.

Peg Purdue   May 20th, 2010 1:24 pm ET

Thanks for giving us one of the best character portrayals to ever come along. We will ... remember.

Dtrock78   May 20th, 2010 1:24 pm ET

Well this stinks, William Bell was a great character for Fringe. How are they going to replace him?

Alex Winter   May 20th, 2010 1:29 pm ET

Spock... out!

LOU   May 20th, 2010 1:34 pm ET

Mr. Nimoy, never say never, there's one more great role for you.
Hollwood, start cracking !!

T   May 20th, 2010 1:37 pm ET

Quite a sterling career going from B-Monk Baroni to Spock to William Bell...hate to see it end but long Life to you, Leonard Nimoy.

Chris Synfield   May 20th, 2010 1:41 pm ET

Leonard, thanks for everything. Your presence on the screen will be missed, but never forgotten as long as I have a dvd player. Love you, my man.

Clay   May 20th, 2010 1:45 pm ET

Surely the best of times. Fair winds and following seas to a great master of the art of acting.

If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept retirement. Acting is your first, best destiny; anything else is a waste of material.

Small modification to one of your lines...but is seated in sound logic.

You will be missed.

Phil   May 20th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

Live long and prosper!!!

Joel Dart   May 20th, 2010 1:59 pm ET

Here's to you, Leonard Nimoy. We will miss you. Not only did I enjoy your performances in the Star Trek franchise; you were terrific in the Mission: Impossible series.

The only question I have now is: will Fringe continue to be worth watching?

John Swaringen   May 20th, 2010 2:04 pm ET

I will especially miss the "raised eyebrow look" from Star-Trek.

omdusa   May 20th, 2010 2:17 pm ET

Live long and prosper Mr. Spock! We will always have Star Trek TOS, and "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" to keep your memory alive!

Nancye Prather   May 20th, 2010 2:22 pm ET

We will miss you. I believe I speak for all fans of both Mr. Nimoy and the Big Bang Theory when I say how much fun it would have been to see you facing Sheldon on screen. Priceless!

Dan Slote   May 20th, 2010 2:22 pm ET

Leonard .... I watched you in the beginning when Startrek first saw television and you really made me believe that if there were Vulcans .... they surely would be like you !!! You and Shatner and the crew of the Enterprise ..... made us all believe that it was real. So I must thank you for that great ride into the future. You will always be remembered Sir ....... Live long and prosper, stay healthy and just make a few appearances now and then on a few talk shows. As you will certainly be missed Sir.

us   May 20th, 2010 2:23 pm ET

nice to see an actor leave the stage on his own terms after having had a full career. no doubt he will continue to create, photography at the least. enjoy your well earned retirement, mr. nimoy.

Timus, Powder Springs, GA   May 20th, 2010 2:29 pm ET

I guess now that Heroes has been canceled Zach can play William Bell as well!!

sjgerman   May 20th, 2010 2:40 pm ET

Good luck to you. I'm nearly 60 and you were part of my childhood. Any actor that creates a character that lasts that long has done something meaningful on a deeply human level. But I still want to see you from time to time. Please don't just disappear! You mean something to many people.

MartyW   May 20th, 2010 2:49 pm ET

Everytime I see Spock pull himself off the floor or the reactor room, dust himself off and straighten up his uniform before turning to us (not just Jim Kirk) I absolutely choke up. That is what every HUMAN should emulate and that is GREAT acting. Thank you Mr. Nimoy.

Christy   May 20th, 2010 2:49 pm ET

You will be missed, but I have greatly enjoyed your contribution to stage and screen.

Cindy Brehm   May 20th, 2010 2:58 pm ET

Enjoy your retirement Leonard, you have earned it... thanks for the memories...

darnley james   May 20th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

he will be back .maybe not in the body of leonard nimoy but his ka will live on forever,

Pat   May 20th, 2010 3:10 pm ET

I will miss you so much "Spock"... i have watch u since i was 8 and to see you go .. hurts , but i know it's something u want to do. I wish u the very Godly best and i wish u long life. I love ya.. and will always have u in my heart. God speed my dear friend.

GKingen   May 20th, 2010 3:11 pm ET

I have been and always shall be your....fan.

Thanks for all the memories!!!

Rich   May 20th, 2010 3:12 pm ET

"Pure Energy!" I wanna know...what your thinking. Tell me what's on your mind!

EricNoot   May 20th, 2010 3:20 pm ET

Very, very disappointed to hear this. I saw you in some dark overcoat on the cover of TV Guide a few years ago and thought "Wow! He would make a great Captain Nemo of 20,000 Leagues!" but alas no such luck.

I most especially enjoyed your work as Mr. Spock. As proof of your efforts, consider how many other character roles exist that have entered and enhanced our culture as much as yours did?

Peace and Long Life, Mr. Nimoy. You truly are a hard act to follow.

Bill   May 20th, 2010 3:21 pm ET

This is quite logical, Jim. You are starring in a new TV show in the fall and I am ending my role in one. Enterprise, out.

Chance   May 20th, 2010 3:23 pm ET

Live long(er) and prosper

swan   May 20th, 2010 3:27 pm ET

the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one

skyguy1054   May 20th, 2010 3:29 pm ET

Growing up in the 1970s, I watched the original Star Trek series countless times in reruns. It was only as an adult though, that I really began to appreciate what a huge influence Spock had on me, all those years ago.

As a kid who was constantly accused of appearing too serious, I felt validated by Mr. Nimoy's character who, while always rational and calm on the surface, had so much going on inside.

Spock's use of logic as a stabilizing force in the struggle with his human emotions was so encouraging to me, especially during my adolescence.

I will always be grateful for his portayal of that character.

Faye   May 20th, 2010 3:37 pm ET

Shucks. You do deserve a fine retirement but we are sure going to miss you. Live long and prosper.

Dr. Greg   May 20th, 2010 3:43 pm ET

Mr. Nimoy: From those of us who were inspired to medicine and science by your Spock character and whose lives were made easier by science being "in" during the 60's. Thank you and best wishes in your new endeavor!

qiggy   May 20th, 2010 3:47 pm ET

I believe many of us are grateful for the memories of the characters that Mr Nimoy created for our enjoyment. Spock was obviously so unique that hardly anyone in the world would not recognize him. Yet we must remember the man behind the character. Thanks for a wonderful 60 years and congratulations... enjoy your retirement.

Carl Malmquist   May 20th, 2010 3:53 pm ET

I was hoping that Mr. Nimoy would be in an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" before he retired.

Three Dog Mama   May 20th, 2010 4:03 pm ET

Live Long and Prosper Spock! When first contact is established with visitors from far away, may they be Vulcans!

AshannaK   May 20th, 2010 4:26 pm ET

Of all the actors that have come and gone, you are the only one who
can truly stand before your maker and answer the important question, What have you done with what I gave you? with the answer, 'I was Spock' and thru that character, I was able, for a time raise those who watched me act from pain to peace. May you live long and prosper, Leonard Nimoy. Thank you for many wonderful years.

yo   May 20th, 2010 4:27 pm ET

really a true classy man. what a wonderfull career and i have enjoyed watching all my life. As everyone else has been saying live long and prosper. you earned it

Silly Uniforms   May 20th, 2010 4:27 pm ET

Leonard,

I have enjoyed the TREK! Good luck to you as you go IN SEARCH OF your next adventure! You have been a fond part of my life. Thanks!

living on the fringe   May 20th, 2010 4:30 pm ET

Your presence on Fringe was a total treat. I have loved the show since day one. You are the only actor that could possibly have played William Bell - the incredible genuis who is larger than life and much revered. Your presence on the small and large screen always added credibility to endeavor. You have contributed so much, enjoy your "retirement," sir.
P.S. : These are some of the sincerest comments I have ever read in a coments section. Especially loved what GKingen and Swan had to say.

Bones   May 20th, 2010 6:37 pm ET

I'm a doctor dammit, you green blooded, pointy-eared Vulcan!

Duane in Fremont   May 20th, 2010 7:06 pm ET

Mr. Nimoy enjoy retirement.

Now onto Fringe, this season has been a bit of disappointment. I think they're running out of ideas, maybe they didn't expect the show to last this long. Thee 1940's flash back episode was pure junk, I didn't even watch it. And too much time in the alternate earth, not a big fan of actors players two roles – ruins the fantasy of the show to me. Lastly, they are stretching out this 'Peter/alternate world/Peter angry at this worlds Walter' thing too long. It's almost going into Heroes territory, dragging things out too long while they try to regroup and come up with more show ideas. I'm still going to watch 'cuz I'm invested in the show from episode 1, but hope it gets better next season.

Take care, Spock – live long and prosper.

Navyboy   May 20th, 2010 7:18 pm ET

Thank you for all the entertainment you have given us over the years.
You will be missed and remembered fondly.
Long live Spock!
/ \ __-__ / \
__\__/_____-_______-_____\__/__
\_____________________________/
\\_\_______/_//
\\_ `-' _//
\\..-|_|-..//
`/ .-. \'
| | o | |
\ `-_-' /
`-–'

Jacob   May 20th, 2010 8:05 pm ET

The overwhelming positivity of these comments says all that needs to be said about this man. I dare you to find a single other article on this web site without hate filled posts.

Live Long and Prosper

blondemaggie   May 20th, 2010 8:41 pm ET

Live Long and Prosper Mr. Nemoy. Loved seeing you and Mr. Shatner at Dragon Con, Atlanta last year, 2009. Glad to hear your goinging to enjoy your photography and your retirement. We will all remember you!

Franko   May 20th, 2010 8:51 pm ET

/ \ __-__ / \
__\__/_____-_______-_____\__/__
\_____________________________/
\\_\_______/_//
\\_ `-' _//
\\..-|_|-..//
`/ .-. \'
| | o | |
\ `-_-' /
`-–'

Jeff   May 20th, 2010 10:27 pm ET

God bless, Mr. Nimoy. Thank you for being one of my childhood role models. Please don't disappear entirely and consider another role here and there. If the likes of Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, and Evander Holyfield can come out of retirement, certainly you can! "Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...human."

Jon H.   May 21st, 2010 12:26 am ET

Mr. Nimoy,

You and I have never met and likely never will. But I still feel like I've known you through your work since I was a small kid. If you and I were to ever sit down over a cup of coffee, I would feel like I was visiting with an old friend. Thank you for everything you've done in television and film. On behalf of all your fans, I wish you well.

Christian   May 21st, 2010 12:37 am ET

You have been, and always shall be, our friend. Live long and prosper.

Valen   May 21st, 2010 2:25 am ET

MR.Nimoy, Thank you soooo much for all you have given us. Your
talent and acting on TV & movies will be missed, but thank God
for all that we captured you on tapes & cd's. Mr. Spock .....what can
one say... I know He was just a character you played. But YOU gave
him life. I just saw again the movie "THEM", saw you in a camio that
played a military officer passing a communication memo to another.
Hear the voice and wandered, hmmm waited for the credits and sure
nuf it was you. You looked around 20-22 years old. Again Thanks for
the memories. Valen

Tiberius   May 21st, 2010 7:31 am ET

Amazing career. Second generation trekie that will be sad to see him gone. His performance in the new Star Trek was amazing.

Mike   May 21st, 2010 8:36 am ET

Let him retire...he's well deserving of it.

Brian Smith   May 21st, 2010 3:07 pm ET

That's class.

AGuest9   May 21st, 2010 4:29 pm ET

Live Long and Prosper, Leonard.

DavidH   May 23rd, 2010 9:51 pm ET

I'm sure I speak for many when I say this. When i find myself in a panic or emotional flurry, and need to bring myself back to reality and make the right choices, I ask myself, "What would Spock do?"
Leonard Nimoy's Spock is more than a character, he's a hero and a role model.
Peace, Leonard Nimoy. Have a wonderful retirement.

Marco   May 24th, 2010 6:14 am ET

To all those who want to see Sheldon face the great Mr. Nimoy on the big bang theory....LET'S MAKE THAT HAPPEN!!!

Tom   May 24th, 2010 12:27 pm ET

I shall miss you like no other.

PiercedPsycho   May 25th, 2010 1:12 pm ET

You shall be greatly missed, Mr. Spock. I grew up watching you and your impeccable logic on the Starship Enterprise, and to this day, I find great comfort in the use of reason and logic in moments of distress.

Live long, and prosper.

\\//

Athenos Greek Yogurt   August 5th, 2012 10:15 pm ET

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

Corey Ocanas   April 12th, 2013 1:26 pm ET

When contemplating retirement the majority of us seem pre-programmed to only consider the far reaching financial implications of never bringing in an income again! But the fact of the matter is that there are many more things to consider if planning on retiring abroad, not to mention the fact that many retirees overseas pick up odd jobs and part time positions advising and assisting other expatriates with their lives and businesses anyway!;

Most up-to-date content produced by our blog page
<="http://www.caramoan.ph/caramoan-cotivas-island/