SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 24, 2010

Britney passes Ashton atop Twitter

Posted: 11:07 AM ET
Mario takes on the Universe
Mario takes on the Universe

Alas, poor Ashton.

You may have beaten us to 1 million followers on Twitter, but that's so last year. Now, Twitter is Britney's world.

Over the weekend, the official Britney Spears Twitter account passed actor Ashton Kutcher's feed as the most popular on the microblogging site.

Both are closing in on a whopping 5 million followers - Britney had about 4,946,000 as of late Monday morning, compared to Kutcher's 4,942,000.

Her new place in the top spot comes despite the fact that Britney's feed, in contrast to Kutcher's ultra-personal musings, is largely filled by posts from her manager, Adam Leber, and other staffers.

She does chime in from time to time, though, with posts like "Happy mamas day ya'll!! -Brit," on May 9. The most recent Britney post on Twitter - where many popular users are always updating their status - is from last Wednesday.

There was no acknowledgement of the milestone on the feed.

On Kutcher's Twitter feed , he addressed the seismic shift in the Twitterverse by dismissing it.

He's been doing promotional interviews for his upcoming movie "Killers" and said that - behind "Are you having a baby?" - the most popular question from reporters has been about being passed by Britney.

"Answer 'I don't care. Aren't u suppose 2B a movie reporter?' " he wrote Sunday night.

Aside from the mind-boggling realization that Britney has at least 5 million fans, the most interesting aspect of the news may be what the numbers say about Twitter's growth - or at least the growth of its most popular users.

Just over a year ago, Kutcher and CNN's breaking news account, @CNNbrk, were publicly racing to become the first Twitter account with 1 million followers (that CNN account now has just over 3 million).

Posted by:
Filed under: Internet • universe

britney4ever   May 24th, 2010 12:03 pm ET

She's my fave person to follow even if she doesn't tweet on a regular basis.

bow down to brit   May 24th, 2010 12:14 pm ET

WOW!!!!! #1 on Twitter! Thank you! Tweet me some questions this morning! xoxo -Brit 3 minutes ago via web

Bowwowwow Yippeeyo Yippeeya   May 24th, 2010 12:31 pm ET

Bald Headed, Fake Chested, Crack Addicted, White Trash. Yup: sounds like someone I really want to follow on Twitter. Though, I would love to be a fly on the wall if her and Sarah Palin ever had a chance to talk to each other. That would be too funny.

Why?   May 24th, 2010 12:32 pm ET

Why is this newsworthy? Wow.....

bam   May 24th, 2010 12:32 pm ET

i'de do her a few times.

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 12:34 pm ET

Supposed 5 million Twitter fans? I think they are just those people who are following along to watch the upcoming and inevitable train wreck that she will induce on herself.

red   May 24th, 2010 12:34 pm ET

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! My life is over.

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 12:36 pm ET

@ bam:

She is all yours. I would not want to tap that. I mean, do you know where it's been?! Has it been cleaned?! I like my bagels without the cream cheese.

Joshua   May 24th, 2010 12:45 pm ET

What's Twitter?

CJ   May 24th, 2010 12:48 pm ET

This is getting a little out of hand. This twitter, facebook insanity...

...remember the days when you would meet your friends at the local pool hall or coffee shop or whatever? Remember when meeting your friends actually took some sort of fundamental motor skills?

SJay   May 24th, 2010 12:51 pm ET

CNN was tracking and waiting for this for the last one years... how low is that... lol

CNN Fails   May 24th, 2010 12:54 pm ET

@ S JayL

Notice how the only Twiiter feed link in the entire article is to CNNs feed and not to either Brittney's or Ashton's? Talk about shady journailsm. :)

CNN Fails   May 24th, 2010 12:55 pm ET

Correction: I am blind lol...just noticed their links.

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 12:56 pm ET

ROFL

It looks like CNN Fails failed. :P

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 12:57 pm ET

@ S Jay

Sad, Twitter is nothing more than another Ego-stroking site to let the teenies have fun and brag over who has more "friends/followers." And CNN has fallen in line with them.

Cronk   May 24th, 2010 1:12 pm ET

ALL of this is designed to get your money. :)

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 1:14 pm ET

@ Cronk

Its a free service, please explain.

Daniel   May 24th, 2010 1:14 pm ET

I am happy to say, I don't have a twitter account.

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 1:17 pm ET

@ Daniel:

::sad face:: :(
You are not able to follow me and my every move then. ::cry::

Interesting   May 24th, 2010 1:20 pm ET

What is twitter?

The Cool People   May 24th, 2010 1:24 pm ET

I don't Post Blogs
I don't do Twitter

The Cool People   May 24th, 2010 1:28 pm ET

Quote-'n-Quote
...
Nope
'Cause We dance
read write & sing songs

Samantha   May 24th, 2010 1:53 pm ET

I'm sorry....but Twitter and Facebook are sooooo unbelievably corny and immature. I graduated high school in 1992 and I don't really want to go back! HAHA

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 1:58 pm ET

@ Samantha

*in a squeeky high-pitched voice* Like OMG, no way! And commenting on a blog about Twitter makes you any better? Touche' little one. Welcome back to Freshman Logic 101.

YO MAMMA   May 24th, 2010 2:08 pm ET

@ Kachiga-Kachiga....WOW... it's been a while since you had a girlfriend now hasn't it? I've noticed you like to rip people apart in this blog. Do me a favor.....write back when you amount to something LOSER!!!

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 2:12 pm ET

@ Yo Mamma

I'll send you a Tweet on it. ;)

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 2:14 pm ET

In addition, you state that because I "like to rip people apart in this blog..." than I am a loser. If so, a person "ripping" on a loser is no better. Ah, the apple never falls from the tree my young apprentice. Welcome to my side of the fence. Snootchi-bootchie!

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 2:24 pm ET

You can thank YO MAMMA for the following:

YO MAMMA so dumb she studied for a drug test!
YO MAMMA so dumb that she tried to put M&M's in alphabetical order!
YO MAMMA so stupid she watches "The Three Stooges" and takes notes.

CHIGA CHIGA   May 24th, 2010 2:56 pm ET

@ Kachiga-Kachiga.....LOSER PUNK....Yo Mamma is right, it has been awhile since you got any. No girl in her right mind would want an ugly red-headed stepchild as a boyfriend. Good luck in this life finding anyone interested in ugly old you. You will need it!

Jim H   May 24th, 2010 2:57 pm ET

I guess vapid, vacant, mediocrity, with no redeeming social value needs love, too.

Ralph Winerska   May 24th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

Twitter is the CB radio of the 2010's. Will be gone and forgotten within a couple years.

PS: If you are older than 17 and still "facebook" seek medical help immediately.

MadMax   May 24th, 2010 4:36 pm ET

Not sure whether anyone cares, but my account has 5 followers.

Mad Max   May 24th, 2010 4:36 pm ET

Not sures whether anyone cares, but my account has 5 followers.

JMaxx   May 24th, 2010 4:49 pm ET

@ Ralph W – whether you like Facebook or not, inferring that only people high school or younger shows that you do not understand it's origins or it's use. My wife uses it and is neither young nor stupid. She uses it for non profit orgs, clubs, and staying in contact with people that we no longer live in the same state with. Not sure how that makes you immature.

LC in CA   May 24th, 2010 4:57 pm ET

What's Twitter? So Britney? Why Ashton? Who cares?

dollar79   May 24th, 2010 5:45 pm ET

5M people follow britney even though its not her tweeting. what a bunch of losers, hanging on to the words of assistants and office personel. i think we finally found the demographic that has no life, or boyfriends. losers, you will never be like britney, (except for the white trash part) get over it

Rob - Australia   May 24th, 2010 6:17 pm ET

The thought that one could be interested in what these people (or "twits" ) have to say is beyond me.

Actors, Musicians..... Celebutards.....

I love movies and I love music ... but the people, they're just the Projector unit, the method.

Still, it sells for the sheep :-)

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 24th, 2010 8:38 pm ET

@ Chiga Chiga

Poor poor Chiga. I mean, is that the best you can do? Calling someone out for hair color?! Really? Resorting to "dogging" someone for their physical appearance shows how low class you are. :sad face for you:: I guess some of the neandarthals of society are still under the impression that men are the only ones in this society with the capability to blog or comment in these forums? Guess you are just another chauvanist pig. The trough is out back for you Chiga ;)

BELLA   May 24th, 2010 9:18 pm ET

They have nothing better to do? how about help me get my 22 year old into Betty Ford. he was in a horrific car accident when he was 17
he is now using preciption drugs and alcohol. How bout that!
813-369-0361 Tampa

ti   May 24th, 2010 11:12 pm ET

kkkk

mattski   May 25th, 2010 9:06 am ET

SciTechBlog? When I think of the wonder of science and technology, I don't often think "Gee, I wonder who has the most Twitter followers?" Cmon, Doug!

bailoutsos   May 25th, 2010 9:54 am ET

"Happy mamas day ya'll!! -Brit," and tweet by "Answer 'I don't care. Aren't u suppose 2B a movie reporter?' " Ashton -- Man, I need to get a Twitter account so I do not miss anymore of the stimulating conversations that abound on social media giant, Twitter.

88 MPH   May 25th, 2010 10:56 am ET

CNN just LOST'D me with some time travel. This report seems really 1995

Ka-chiga Ka-chiga   May 25th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

1995 or do you really mean 1985?

BubbaGumb   May 25th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

hubsdrunk   May 25th, 2010 2:16 pm ET

Ashton is a hyper no talent clown who has never been in any good movies. He peaked at That Seventies Show.

BubbaGumb   May 26th, 2010 8:13 am ET

Joe   May 26th, 2010 10:17 am ET

It's official! Almost 5 million people have absolutely no life!

Bubba   May 26th, 2010 1:48 pm ET

Anyone who follows celebrities on a regular basis needs to get a life of their own. Who cares what these people do with their personal lives? Their opinions on anything but movies/music/sports (whatever their a celebrity for) are irrelevant. Most celebrities don't know their a** from a hold in the ground.

JIm   May 27th, 2010 8:36 am ET

This is exactly why we need a federally-funded high speed network. America CANNOT fall behind the rest of the world so that critical information such as the latest on Britney and Ashton is not missed! Not to mention we are missing the wisdom of the geniuses who leave comments.

Greg   May 27th, 2010 10:32 am ET

BubbaGumb   May 28th, 2010 11:00 am ET

This blog, topic is still being published on the internet. Its so boring and pointless. Zzzzzzzz. Has anyone considered the website is fake and she is just self promoting herself? This is just a self promoting Britney Spears marketing campaign.

Down with Britney   May 31st, 2010 1:40 pm ET

I completely agree with Bubba!!! Who Cares about their personal life? Knowing about a celeb's life is just useless information not even worthy of being written dirt on the ground. Worthless..

Robert   June 1st, 2010 12:16 pm ET

to all those who are all "boo hoo, why doesn't anyone meet face to face anymore? twitter and Facebook killed personal relationships!" It's time you suck it up and start living in the new millennium. Same who want to ri the internet apart because it's killing the written letters. What's with you? Why don't you go work the land in a farm? Because, hey... what's all this about getting paid to push buttons on a computer? Where is the physical activity?

Galen Silguero   August 15th, 2010 7:31 pm ET

I love Britney's music and i have since she first came out so i have supported her ever since

Tenesha Badruddin   September 16th, 2010 6:18 am ET

It is great that celebrities can use their web site to stop all the lies printed about them. LIke on Britney's website she has a BS alert.

Donte Alig   September 28th, 2010 6:15 pm ET

Surely Britney cannot wear every one of these perfumes she releases. One more has just come out.

Spiqueexhitte   September 1st, 2011 2:48 pm ET