Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From sci-fi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it, you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's SciTech blog.
Romulans, puppeteers, hobbits - lend me your ears! Today, we geeks can gather today and celebrate all that makes us unique.
Worldwide, May 25 is known as Geek Pride Day, Towel Day (for "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fans like our own No. 42 above) and Glorious 25th of May, for Discworld fans.
See how some are celebrating Geek Pride Day on iReport.
Although Geek Pride Day is a relatively new holiday; founded in Spain in 2006, the Inalienable Rights of Geekdom (at least as we see them) that it celebrates are not:
1. The right to strive to be even geekier.
2. The right to not leave your house when there's plenty to entertain you there.
3. The right to not like football or any other sport.
4. The right to freely associate with other nerds.
5. The right to have a few select (inevitably awesome) friends.
6. The right to have a ton of friends - each geekier than the last.
7. The right to not be “in-style.”
8. The right to be overweight/underweight/have poor eyesight and the like.
9. The right to show off your geekiness at all times.
10. The right to take over the world.
Not all geeks will agree with or adhere to all - or in some cases even most - of these rules. Everybody geeks out in their own way; that's the beauty of it.
But we can all agree that being a geek can be a good thing. Why is that?
Well, let’s take a look at a couple of the great things about being a geek:
1. We can always find a game to play no matter what. We are like the MacGyver of games. Give us a pen and paper and we’ll entertain ourselves and others.
2. We look good in glasses. Seriously, we do.
3. We are clever. Who was the one who everyone turned to on "Lost?" The doctor.
4. Speaking of doctors, we have Doctor Who. He’s smart, funny, has a time machine and is one of the biggest geeks in the universe.
5. We can balance a checkbook. Whether we use a computer program, our raw brain power or a good old-fashioned abacus, we will not be overdrawn.
Geek Pride Day is all about looking at the best parts of being a geek, so grab your towel, stick out your thumb and tell us what your plans are - or what you've already done - for Geek Pride Day.
Share your comments below, or go to our iReport page to submit your story.
Posted by: Nikki Rau-BakerFiled under: Geek Out!
I forgot my towel today, but that is an extremely rare occurrence. Never leave home without it!
towel day? everyday is towel day
Happy Geek Day, everyone! Got my towel right here.
I didn't know there was a geek pride day – but people are clearly happy about it
Geeks are funny in an intelligent way!! They are fun and resourceful.
Thats great I had no idea there was such a holiday! I will certainly celebrate it next year
mp3 Free VLC Player Download media viewer
9999 The deliver the results you have completed has gotten you this far. These station duplicate purses are often times the clone with the genuine lovely channel totes.
fake oakley flak jacket sunglasses http://www.woodstockmoose1329.com/fake-oakley-flak-jacket-c-6.html
They should throw a parade for Geek Pride Day,. It would be like Halloween all over again. My Favorites are "The right to show off your geekiness at all times." "The right to take over the world."
I'm official excited for the 25th of May!
electronic cigarette store Geek Out!: Happy Geek Pride, Towel, etc. Day! – SciTechBlog – CNN.com Blogs
visit my webpage http://www.ener-solar.it/hangsen-e-liquid/know-about-this-from-e-cigarette-flavors-reviews.asp
Notify me of new comments via email.
Are you a gadgethead? Do you spend hours a day online? Or are you just curious about how technology impacts your life? In this digital age, it's increasingly important to be fluent, or at least familiar, with the big tech trends. From gadgets to Google, smartphones to social media, this blog will help keep you informed.