SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 25, 2010

Google Pac-Man eats 4.8 million hours

Posted: 03:04 PM ET
Championship Pac-Man
Championship Pac-Man

A productivity blog figured out that we wasted (some would say, enjoyed) over 4.8 million hours of time on Friday playing the Pac-Man game on Google.

The game was the search site's featured logo over the weekend to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the popular arcade game. The logo was actually playable and would continue for 256 levels of chomping.

The RescueTime blog did the math to figure out how much extra time people spent on Google on Friday, and how much did that time cost.

Typically, users spend an average of 11 seconds per each Google page view. RescueTime found the average user spent 36 second more on Pac-Man Friday. With 504.7 million unique visitors on May 23, that totals up to an additional 4,819,352 hours spent on Google.

Armed with that number, the blog then wanted to figure out how much productivity was lost. Assuming the average Google user has a salary of $25 per hour, the total bill comes to $120,483,800.

The game would start if the user hit the "Insert Coin" button or if the site sat idle on the Google home page for about 10 seconds. Google left it up on their homepage throughout the weekend, but gave it a permanent home to be enjoyed whenever you like.

Posted by:
Filed under: Games • Gaming • Google • pop culture • video games

simpson   May 25th, 2010 3:26 pm ET

$25 an hour? I wish

timpess mcrath   May 25th, 2010 3:32 pm ET

where can i get som info on pac man and 3d the animal version

Arin   May 25th, 2010 3:36 pm ET

Haha, I remember seeing this in school when we were working on projects.

Senioritis ran rampant that friday in any class we had computers xD

evanqelina olivas   May 25th, 2010 4:02 pm ET

nice! Il0ve pac-man its de best game

The Game   May 25th, 2010 4:18 pm ET

There are only 24 hrs in the day, how do those statistics work? I could say that I spent 400 hours a day playing wow and make up some BS experiment.

Dave   May 25th, 2010 4:34 pm ET

Google UX guys are geniuses. nuff said.

Aaron   May 25th, 2010 5:36 pm ET

@The Game: How do those statistics not work? I see nothing wrong with that math.

Tommy   May 25th, 2010 6:01 pm ET

what is the game in the picture up there, i know its pac man, but what is the name of teh remake?

Will   May 25th, 2010 7:51 pm ET

Pac Man Championship Edition. It came out on the Xbox Live Arcade

Iceman   May 26th, 2010 12:52 am ET

For those downloading the game, here's some ways to modify it:

Look at the file "pacman10-hp.2.js," located inside the "logos" and then the "js" folders. About 100 lines down are the following parameters for each maze all the way to the ninth key:
{
fruit: 1,
fruitScore: 100,
ghostModeSwitchTimes: [7, 20, 7, 20, 5, 20, 5, 1],
penForceTime: 4,
penLeavingLimits: [0, 0, 30, 60]
},

And about 1,700 lines down is this (to alter lives and starting level – don't exceed 255 for either):

g.startGameplay = function () {
g.score = [0, 0];
g.extraLifeAwarded = [e, e];
g.lives = 3;
g.level = 1;
g.paused = e;
g.globalTime = 0;
g.newLevel(a)
};

Pete   May 26th, 2010 2:20 am ET

Google put out one little game and the world ends. You should see what's been going on at Facebook for the past 5 years.

Rick McDaniel   May 26th, 2010 9:34 am ET

Humans have a great capacity for wasting time.

JLJ   May 26th, 2010 10:03 am ET

Lol...I played for a while...and I never wasted time at work in anything in the internet...but this time I opened Google to start my work and..oh well...is right there...I played...lol...I better work extra this friday... ;o) and thanks to CNN now I now where is its permanent home...mmm it may not help much to my productivity... ;o) ...If my boss reads this...I will work! I promise! I will play in my spare time...

Sency   May 26th, 2010 6:55 pm ET

I am not sure this is a good thing, that this much time was spent playing on Google

RUFFNUTT   May 26th, 2010 6:58 pm ET

its not wasted time... i only play it at work..

anonymous   May 26th, 2010 8:01 pm ET

Enjoyed the re-visit Google. Thanks for a surprising Google doodle !

Brad   May 27th, 2010 8:10 pm ET

Who honestly gives a s*%t?

James Lovette-Black   May 27th, 2010 9:39 pm ET

However, the amount of discovery joy engendered by playing the game is beyond calculation, which was missed by this article. Creativity often comes from this type of play as mental exercise.

foliveras   May 28th, 2010 7:45 am ET

Where I can get a $25.00 an hour job? I'll love to be playing Pac-Man and making that kind of money...

Katherine   May 29th, 2010 12:12 pm ET

I was playing this during HTML class haha

rflulling   May 29th, 2010 11:09 pm ET

Really? 25.00 an Hour just where did you get that average? Sounds like Texas style district management. Though theres really no good reason other than an inflated number. I would guestimate that $57,832,224.00 is closer to the truth.

Pssssst!!!   May 30th, 2010 11:41 pm ET

Okay, now why the HELL would he just assume that the average Google user makes $25/hr? In this economy it could be that the average Google user is searching for a J-O-B!!!

Patrick   May 31st, 2010 10:18 am ET

Seriously, where did they get that information from? This is why you can't trust anything you hear.

cbn   June 1st, 2010 3:30 am ET

FYI... the U.S gdp per capita is $47,988 which makes approx. an AVERAGE of +-25/hr. For some good reason they called it AVERAGE, aka: sum of all numbers divided by the # of ppl in the equation.

Mike   June 2nd, 2010 1:35 pm ET

"Assuming the average Google user has a salary of $25 per hour"??

Where the heck does Larry Frum get his numbers? How much does he have to be making to think that the rest of us make an average of $52,000/year ($25/hour x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks)? The median income of someone 25+ years with a bachelor's degree is ~$42,000. Total overall median in the U.S. is about ~$32,000.

I think the number he should be reporting should be a bit more like $75 million. Still a large amount though.

daniel   June 3rd, 2010 6:27 pm ET

$25 per hour is not a lot of money. It's pittance pay. I think the average college educated individual earns more like $42-$44 per hour.

valt   June 4th, 2010 10:47 am ET

Daniel... $42-$44 per hour?! Obviously you didn't go to college hahaha.

I make $18 per hour in central new jersey with no degree as a PC support specialists/web developer for a community bank without a degree.. Funny thing is.. if i had a bachelor's degree i'd probably make the same amount. I'm 23 years old. Especially in this economy.

Chloe   June 4th, 2010 1:31 pm ET

I am one of the people who "wasted" (extremely enjoyed) playing pacman on Friday. It was one of my favorite games as a teenager.

Wordpress Themes   June 30th, 2010 10:12 am ET

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Kaylan   July 22nd, 2010 8:15 pm ET

$25 an hour? Where did they get that number from? Wow!

Joshua   August 2nd, 2010 2:00 pm ET

"Assuming the average Google user has a salary of $25 per hour"

L
O
L

Factor   November 9th, 2010 12:41 am ET

Who gives a SHIT about PAC MAN.Save your saliva

RooxinconeTob   March 11th, 2011 2:38 pm ET

miert ne:)

Michealhordy   December 20th, 2011 3:31 am ET

The amount of discovery joy engendered by playing the game is beyond calculation, which was missed by this article. Creativity often comes from this type of play as mental exercise.

android apps development India

software development UK   January 5th, 2012 5:12 am ET

oh but from where i can get exact idea or information about this?

software development UK   January 5th, 2012 5:13 am ET

oh but from where i can get exact idea or information about this?

Kyle Lee   January 19th, 2012 5:42 am ET

I am enjoying pacman on Exclusive. It was one of my preferred video games as a youngster.

Spencer Shein   July 27th, 2012 12:56 pm ET

;)

louis vuitton bags for sale   November 28th, 2013 2:21 am ET

9999 The job you've accomplished has gotten you this considerably. These station replica purses will often be the clone for that genuine fabulous channel totes.
louis vuitton bags for sale http://www.finnishtimberframes.co.uk/louis-vuitton-bags-for-sale-c-1.html

In home personal training Long Island   December 4th, 2013 4:18 pm ET

Lets Just think about this, 4.8 million hours of time wasted. That is awesome.This was the day the Google brought me back to my
childhood days.I used to love playing PAC-Man. I remember playing it before i went to school in the morning.
Thanks Google