SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 7, 2008

Astronomers Get a Green Light

Posted: 01:01 PM ET

Just before the sun dips below the horizon, sometimes a brilliant green or blue flash appears at the edge of the fiery ball. To see it, you have to be somewhere with an unobstructed view of the sun and a very stable atmosphere.

Image courtesy and copyright Stéphane Guisard, http://www.astrosurf.com/sguisard

The perfect spot is the Cerro Paranal Observatory in Chile, perched on a 2,635-meter (8,645-foot) mountain in the Atacama Desert, where they get an average of 300 cloudless days per year. Check out these images, as well as another solar phenomenon called a "Gegenschein."

The observatory, which is operated by the 13-nation European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO), is home to the Very Large Telescope (yes, that's the official name), which ESO describes as the world's most advanced optical instrument.

The green and blue flashes happen when Earth's atmosphere acts as a giant prism, refracting certain colors from the setting sun's rays. It's a tradition at Paranal for the staff to gather at sunset every day to watch for the flashes before settling down for a night of astronomical observations, according to the ESO Web site.

But kids, don't try this at home – at least not without proper eye protection. The ESO site emphasizes that looking at the sun with the naked eye is dangerous, and looking at it through a camera, binoculars, or telescope is even worse. "Do not attempt to observe the Sun unless you know what you are doing," the site warns repeatedly.

–Kate King, Writer, cnn.com

Filed under: Astronomy • Sun

Franko   May 7th, 2008 7:37 pm ET

Looks like a squashed pumkin with a stem on top.

Of course, the sunspots have disappeared since we reached a tipping point in CO2 concentration.

Amazing that adaptive optics telescopes can see through the distorting atmosphere better than the Hubble telescope can see outside the atmosphere.

David the 1/2 sane   May 8th, 2008 8:06 pm ET

Franko;

Sunspots are on the sun, not on earth so I'm missing something. Are you saying that we can't _see_ the sunspots because of carbon footprint or that the sunspots don't _occur_ because of carbon footprint?

David the 1/2 sane

Franko   May 9th, 2008 1:22 am ET

A joke that only sane people, who are less smart than you understand

Possibly in poor taste needling the CO2 alarmists;
Not only changing global temperature, but also killing sunspots

Harley Simmons   May 11th, 2008 7:29 am ET

The Biggest Lie we could be living in is that the Sun is Round like a Planet, I belive it is a White Hole that the Earth and all the Planets
are Rotatin on the End of it and the Vortex Sun Tube extendes far into the Heavens and its Stability is controle by the Static Cold that
God in the Emptyness above all the Stars exist and Controls for each
and every one of us unless our Technologey in Space controles our
Magnetic Destiny in our Weather Maker.

If the End of the Sun is All we are able to see except at Sun Sets Green Streek of the Length of it .

Our Science Rocket servay differnt that the Sun is Round like a Planet .

I Wonder !!!!

Jason   May 12th, 2008 12:54 pm ET

The picture shows a distinct set of color bands...can you tell me why this occurs? Is is because of the atmosphere or something else? Additionally, the color shift looks fairly sharp, I would have thought that the color shift would have been very gradual.

Great picture!

Jason   May 12th, 2008 1:04 pm ET

I was also wondering when the green flash picture was taken? The blue flash image was taken at Christmas Eve...I'm just curious to see what time of year the green flashes occur or if there is a correlation of color hue and time of year/atmosphereic change.

Mike   May 12th, 2008 2:50 pm ET

That green flash explanation is wrong because scientist are looking at through atheistic telescopes. The right answer is that it is a Quaker colony on the sun as told by Brigham Young long ago when he said that Joseph Smith was right there are Quakers on the moon and also the sun too.

So I believe completely in what religious leaders tell me without question. Therefore that is a Quaker farm on the sun.

Larian LeQuella   May 12th, 2008 3:11 pm ET

LOL@Mike! Damn my atheist telescope, and here I thought Reality was so cool!

And Harley Simmons, please stop doing drugs! They are bad for you, okay? The only part of your post that made sense was that the sun isn't spherical,t hat is true, but the rest of it...

Nancy L. Bert   May 12th, 2008 7:00 pm ET

In reading my great great grandmother's diary from 1903, I noticed she wrote, "Eclipse of the sun. I seen it". She also wrote of a neighbor's also having looked at the eclipse. Later entries noted her having eye trouble and going to the doctor for "poison" to put on her eye. The neighbor was having similar problems. Grandma later went blind and never realized it was her having looked at the sun that caused her problem.

Jon Doe   May 12th, 2008 8:42 pm ET

Eclipse of the sun. I seen it too. But I weared protective glasses.

Jeff   May 13th, 2008 12:45 am ET

Kill all sunspots!

Jon   May 13th, 2008 10:35 am ET

"The sun isn't Spherical... thats true" I knew it was flat.. i just knew it. The church told me so.

Larian LeQuella   May 13th, 2008 1:56 pm ET

LOL@Jon. You folks are full of great zingers. It is approximately a sphere, a slightly flattened top to bottom (oblate) sphere to be precise! Again, that nasty requirement for precision in science. 😉

Franko   May 14th, 2008 6:35 am ET

The Sun's rotation flattens the poles. Jupiter and the Sun revolve around a center of gravity above the Sun's surface. That causes tides on the Sun. The conveyor belt, which moves the sunspots, is another factor to consider.

"The picture shows a distinct set of color bands"
Differential refraction, also likely similar processes as in a mirage, distorting and reflecting due to inversion layers. I wonder if in the ionosphere polarized ions contribute ?

Mike Steen   May 14th, 2008 7:12 pm ET

Having ALWAYS wanted to see the green flash, but living in a hilly area surrounded by trees, I have found my opportunities limited. Several years ago, though, my wife and I were having dinner on a deck overlooking the ocean in Maine. Tonight, I thought, I might see it. As the last of the sun was approaching the horizon, my wife said something to me, and I turned my head to reply and to take a (thoughtless) bite of my crab cake. At that moment I heard people exclaim, "Did you see it! Did you see the green flash?"
No, I don't blame my wife. I blame my STUPID STUPID INATTENTION!! AAAUUUGHHH!!!!

Larian LeQuella   May 19th, 2008 2:32 pm ET

Yikes, hope it was a good crab cake Mike (although if you were in Maine, I would have suggested lobster!). I have been fortunate to see the flash numerous times. The most amazing was when I was flying into the sunset on my way to Guam, at FL310 with a C-5 on the boom. Almost forgot what we were doing there for a moment!

préstamo   January 6th, 2021 3:20 pm ET

Si está buscando un buen préstamo personal o un préstamo rápido, consulte esta página. http://prestamospersonaleswsrz.es/

hemp oil   January 6th, 2021 10:01 pm ET

I needed to post you that little bit of observation to say thanks once again for your personal magnificent pointers you've featured in this article. It is quite remarkably generous of people like you to give openly just what a number of us might have marketed as an e book to end up making some dough for themselves, most notably given that you could possibly have done it if you ever decided. These points as well served like the fantastic way to fully grasp other people have similar eagerness much like my own to know lots more pertaining to this issue. I am certain there are millions of more fun opportunities in the future for individuals who looked at your blog post. https://nujemznuedi.online/

generic CELEXA   January 8th, 2021 12:26 am ET

My husband and i ended up being contented Chris could carry out his basic research by way of the ideas he came across from your own blog. It's not at all simplistic just to always be giving away guidelines many others could have been making money from. And now we consider we've got the blog owner to appreciate because of that. All the explanations you've made, the easy blog menu, the friendships you aid to create – it's all astounding, and it's aiding our son and our family consider that that concept is awesome, and that's exceptionally essential. Many thanks for all! https://asendinamoxapine.com/

buy escitalopram   January 8th, 2021 9:16 am ET

I am just writing to make you understand what a notable experience my wife's girl had using your web site. She mastered so many pieces, which included what it is like to possess an excellent helping nature to let other people with ease learn some problematic things. You truly surpassed people's expected results. Thank you for producing these precious, trusted, informative and in addition fun tips about this topic to Lizeth. https://lexaproescitalopram.com/

nortriptyline pills   January 8th, 2021 1:16 pm ET

I simply wished to thank you very much yet again. I do not know what I would have used without those tips and hints shown by you relating to this topic. This has been the traumatic setting in my view, nevertheless viewing your well-written way you treated the issue took me to weep with joy. Now i am thankful for your work as well as wish you recognize what an amazing job your are undertaking training the rest with the aid of your website. Probably you haven't met any of us. https://pamelornortriptyline.com/

order bupropion   January 9th, 2021 8:42 pm ET

I am only writing to make you understand what a remarkable experience our princess undergone viewing your webblog. She picked up some things, which included what it is like to possess an ideal teaching spirit to make the mediocre ones without difficulty master specified tortuous things. You undoubtedly surpassed readers' expected results. Thanks for rendering those useful, trustworthy, revealing as well as unique tips on your topic to Mary. https://wellbutrinbupropions.com/#

froleprotrem   February 13th, 2021 4:48 pm ET

This blog is definitely rather handy since I’m at the moment creating an internet floral website – although I am only starting out therefore it’s really fairly small, nothing like this site. Can link to a few of the posts here as they are quite. Thanks much. Zoey Olsen

south dakota cornhole   February 19th, 2021 1:46 pm ET

629836 680680You completed various very good points there. I did a search on the theme and discovered the majority of folks will consent along with your weblog. 215594

osteoporosis medications without side effects   February 24th, 2021 10:41 am ET

I learned more new things on this weight loss issue. One issue is that good nutrition is highly vital when dieting. A huge reduction in fast foods, sugary foods, fried foods, sugary foods, red meat, and white flour products may be necessary. Holding wastes parasites, and toxins may prevent aims for losing belly fat. While specified drugs momentarily solve the matter, the bad side effects are usually not worth it, they usually never give more than a short lived solution. It can be a known incontrovertible fact that 95% of fad diet plans fail. Many thanks sharing your notions on this site. https://osteoporosismedi.com New Osteoporosis Treatment https://osteoporosismedi.com/

cc dump sites   February 28th, 2021 11:57 pm ET

897628 784619Some genuinely prime posts on this site , bookmarked . 531264

ClarkPring   March 1st, 2021 1:51 am ET

87mgy 8ldh5 0li2

osobisty spirometr   March 17th, 2021 8:10 am ET

Bardzo interesujący temat, dzięki za wysłanie wiadomości osobisty spirometr osobisty spirometr https://spirometrn.pl/

Kris Toepfer   March 25th, 2021 11:03 am ET

I do agree with all the ideas you have presented in your post. They're very convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for novices. Could you please extend them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

Leave Your Comment