SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 26, 2008

Flat as far as the eye can see

Posted: 10:25 AM ET

Here's one of the first images from Phoenix Mars Lander showing what the landscape looks like on the frozen tundra of Mar's Northern plains.

Source: NASA/JPL/Univ. of Arizona

It looks pretty much as they thought it would – flat as far as the eye can see. The expectation is that the ground in the area is a mixture of dirt and permafrost, and the scientists say it is as hard a concrete.

Phoenix's robotic arm is outfitted with a little rasp that can be used to drill down into that hard ground to loosen it. A scoop on the end of the arm will then scrape it up and transport it to the science instruments aboard the lander.

One part of the instrument suite involves a set of tiny ovens that will heat up and vaporize some of that icy dirt an analyze the chemical components. Another experiment will mix Martian dirt with water brought from earth in little tea-cup sized reservoirs, this time to study the chemistry of the soil.

The Phoenix team will hold another briefing at 2p Eastern today, where we will hopefully see more pictures and hear more about the plan going forward. If things go as planned, they will start moving the robotic arm as early as Tuesday.

–Kate Tobin, Sr. Producer, CNN Science & Technology

Filed under: Mars • NASA • Space

Christy   May 26th, 2008 11:51 am ET

Awesome! I never follow NASA news, but this is amazing. Too bad this vessel does not roam around. I can't wait to see what they do find!

fredo   May 26th, 2008 11:54 am ET

I think this is amazing. Wierd but amazing.

fredo   May 26th, 2008 11:55 am ET

weird... I mean really weird. It is on Mars!!! That's only a few hundred million miles away. Dang!!

Jim Samples   May 26th, 2008 12:18 pm ET

Why does NASA always show the public dark (black and white) pictures? Certainly NASA can afford color cameras! Is there something we are not supposed to see? Like the green foliage?

Sylvia   May 26th, 2008 12:40 pm ET

Totally wonderful. And not the least bit boring. Every shred of information we've learned about other planets, moons, comets etc has been absolutely fascinating. For the first time we can start to understand what makes Earth different from other bodies in the solar system, and see what other, different kinds of geology are like.

As a taxpayer I am so proud to have my money spent on this. And compared to the whole government budget it is NOT EVEN a drop in the bucket. Talk about a bargain. One of the few bright spots in what has been a pretty grim presidency, not that HE had anything to do with it–he'd probably axe it if he could get away with it.

I'll be on the edge of my chair as those results start coming in. No matter what it turns out to be–life, no life, ice, no ice–we'll be learning new stuff that we couldn't have imagined before, and advancing knowledge, and you can't put a price on that.

S Callahan   May 26th, 2008 1:08 pm ET

I agree with Sylvia...this is absolutely exciting. As a woman of faith this journey is a confirmation to all the wonders God puts before us.
I am particulary awed with how the land, rocks, ice tundra seem similar to earth. As a woman of faith, it very easy to see how the similarities exist as God created all of it. What separates earth from all others though is the Breath of God over the water (see Genesis 1 and 2) . Why in his infinte wisdom did he chose earth for man? I'm sure as the journey goes on man will begin to understand the answer to the questions. This is exciting and I support my tax dollars to this and more ventures into our vast universe.

Marky   May 26th, 2008 1:10 pm ET

"HE" won't axe it because the technology can be useful in war related scenarios.

Mike Martin   May 26th, 2008 1:16 pm ET

The Martians are always just off camera in these shots laughing at us.... and waiting for signal to invade....

S Callahan   May 26th, 2008 1:17 pm ET

Marty, i think you've mistaken the master scientist for man 🙂

George   May 26th, 2008 1:18 pm ET

not to be negative or undermine this technical achievement; this is truly an amazing engineering accomplishment. while I do realize this is all in the name of human science, however, has NASA considered the consequences of possibly contaminating Mars? although the planet may be "lifeless" from our standards, it is following a natural course of its own evolution. we must keep in mind that what we do today may alter that process to some degree. my question is do we have a right to, or do we have a responsibility not to?

pdykstra   May 26th, 2008 1:22 pm ET

George -

Thanks for asking a good question. You may want to follow this link to learn more about Dr. Cassie Conley, NASA's Planetary Protection Officer (cool job title, isn't it?)

It's her job to make sure the scenario you're suggesting doesn't happen.

Peter Dykstra

George   May 26th, 2008 1:27 pm ET

that's good to know, thanks for the quick response Peter.

bte, that is a cool job title, does Earth have one?

George

Edsel Chromie   May 26th, 2008 1:50 pm ET

It is too bad the NASA research scientists and theorists do not have the same outstanding mental ability of the mechanical and technical staff. While the engineers have provided incredible data about Saturn and Mars, the research scientists still have not been able to definitively explain the anomalies revealed in the past 28 years.

Edsel Chromie   May 26th, 2008 2:14 pm ET

If an explanation of my comment is necessary, it has been 28 years since the Voyager spacecraft first revealed the "spokes" or "fingers" within the rings of Saturn. Still, a few days ago, in a television program titled "Lord Of The Rings", Dr. Carolyn Porco stated, "It is quite complex and it will take us a long time to figure it all out. I don't think we will ever be able to figure all of it out." Unfortunately, the ability of magnetic field energy to stimulate atoms of gases to a glowing, visible state of excitement, is being ignored. The focus on thermodynamics and gravity will never be able to resolve these outstanding visual anomalies.

yousef   May 26th, 2008 5:19 pm ET

this is an amazing engineering achievement
it is an honor to be able to see these photos
God Bless America

Riyadh Saudi Arabia

agall   May 26th, 2008 5:45 pm ET

It would be really cool if Phoenix finds any primitive forms of life on Mars. The next question if the life is DNA/protein based and building blocks and asymmetry (L-amino acids and D-nucleic acids) are the same. The positive answer would indicate that the life on Earth most likely started somewhere else in the Universe. Personally I believe in this theory. I think the life on Earth would be very unlikely without original seed of a primitive life from the space.

Michael   May 27th, 2008 9:31 am ET

I'm just waiting to see some guy walk up with a lawn chair and a beer and setup in front of the camera 🙂

Sylvia   May 27th, 2008 11:45 am ET

Why do so many people think life couldn't have got started on earth without a seed from space, but somehow they have no problem believing that life could get started in space? What's the diff? If life could start on some other planet or in interstellar dust or whatever, why couldn't it just as well start right here on earth, the one place we actually know for sure it DOES exist? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it does exist elsewhere too. But it could have started independently in different places, including right here.

But it's great fun watching all the new conspiracy theories germinate as the new NASA images come in. I guess some people just have too much time on their hands and more imagination than sense. C'mon, folks. Isn't it an awful lot more likely that these images actually ARE what NASA says they are?

odysseus   May 27th, 2008 3:48 pm ET

Get out your 3-D glasses – 2-D images also available – Mars is a Beautiful Planet!

We see a lot of barren dust images from the rovers, and this polar lander, but I like checking out a website called marsunearthed.com.

Beautiful 2 and 3-D images – check out some of the valley pictures! Tall spires with many layers of rock, and more. check it out, you will be amazed.

agall   May 28th, 2008 12:26 am ET

Sylvia, I don’t say you are wrong. You maybe right, the life started here on Earth. My point is that there are possibly billion of billions other planets in our Galaxy with proper conditions to jumpstart primitive life forms. The total chance of this very unlikely event is much higher in the Galaxy and certainly elsewhere in the Universe than on our beloved planet. The chance of spreading the life forms from one planet to another is yet another very unlikely event, but multiplied by billion of billions it may become more likely than starting the life here on Earth from scratch.
I don’t expect Mars to give us the final answer. It may actually raise more questions if any life form discovered there.

Sylvia   May 28th, 2008 12:16 pm ET

Agall, who knows. Maybe you are right and life did start on some other planet or in interstellar space. Maybe someday our species will find the answer. I just wonder why some people seem to think it's easier to imagine life orginating somewhere else rather than here. But I certainly don't mean to put that idea on the same level as the people who think NASA is covering up a smokestack on Mars or blue Martian skies, or that the whole landing was faked. I hope for those people's sake, they don't believe any of that either, they're just having fun.

brasil escort   October 20th, 2010 5:54 pm ET

I would like to read a bit more soon. BTW, pretty nice design that blog has, but don’t you think design should be changed once in a few months?

Delta Austell   December 20th, 2020 5:50 pm ET

I enjoy your personal style of writing. I’m wondering in the event you might take a short look at my write-up and let me know what you think regarding my own style. I am not a natural English speaker so that’s why I’m asking.

sildenafil prices   January 7th, 2021 12:06 am ET

I happen to be writing to make you understand what a perfect experience my wife's girl obtained using your webblog. She noticed so many pieces, which included what it is like to possess an excellent helping spirit to let other people with no trouble learn specific specialized things. You truly surpassed readers' expected results. Thank you for providing these priceless, trusted, informative as well as fun tips about this topic to Lizeth. https://johnpisanohomeimprovements.com/

propecia buy   January 7th, 2021 7:17 pm ET

Thank you for your entire labor on this web site. My mom take interest in participating in investigations and it is obvious why. My partner and i learn all regarding the lively tactic you produce simple things through your web site and in addition invigorate response from the others on the subject then our favorite princess is truly studying a whole lot. Take advantage of the rest of the year. You have been doing a superb job. https://harrington-service.com/

propecia without a prescription   January 7th, 2021 9:34 pm ET

I'm commenting to let you be aware of of the amazing discovery my child developed browsing the blog. She came to find a good number of details, including how it is like to have a great coaching character to get a number of people clearly completely grasp a number of advanced issues. You actually did more than her desires. I appreciate you for churning out such beneficial, dependable, edifying and cool guidance on that topic to Emily. https://harrington-service.com/

Deena Mccoun   January 11th, 2021 1:27 am ET

I do believe all of the ideas you've offered in your post. They're really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are very quick for starters. May just you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

Yu Kam   January 12th, 2021 12:24 am ET

I recently came across your website and have been reading along. I thought I could leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed scaning what you all have to say…

Lisabeth Apking   January 28th, 2021 10:33 pm ET

Of course, what a fantastic site and enlightening posts, I will bookmark your blog.All the Best!

DevOps outsourcing and advisory companies   February 10th, 2021 9:59 am ET

627226 739434We offer you with a table of all of the emoticons that can be used on this application, and the meaning of each symbol. Though it may take some initial effort on your part, the skills garnered from regular and strategic use of social media will create a strong foundation to grow your business on ALL levels. 932341

binance отзывы   February 20th, 2021 1:15 am ET

900381 77969Does your website have a contact page? Im having trouble locating it but, Id like to send you an email. Ive got some suggestions for your weblog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, fantastic blog and I look forward to seeing it develop more than time. 651177

best stomach ulcers with least side effects   February 22nd, 2021 6:22 pm ET

Helpful info. Fortunate me I found your site accidentally, and I am surprised why this twist of fate did not came about in advance! I bookmarked it. https://stomachulcersmedi.com best stomach ulcers with least side effects https://stomachulcersmedi.com/

sexuality meaning in english   February 26th, 2021 4:43 pm ET

25439 303139Maintain up the fantastic work , I read few blog posts on this site and I believe that your site is real intriguing and has bands of good information . 976341

Michaela Win   March 4th, 2021 9:41 am ET

I've learn some just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to make this kind of excellent informative site.

Bertram Vasseur   May 11th, 2021 7:00 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

Elise Birnell   May 12th, 2021 5:25 am ET

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

Jarred Brunow   May 16th, 2021 6:05 pm ET

I don't know about you all but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/09/airline-livery-of-the-week-us-airways-north-carolina-panthers/

Young Rivera   May 17th, 2021 8:43 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

Cornelius Esquilin   May 18th, 2021 3:52 am ET

I don't know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/10/the-airline-blogs-livery-of-the-day-lets-tango/

Yong Bragdon   May 19th, 2021 5:41 am ET

I don't know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/12/woman-suing-american-airlines-for-15-million-due-to-a-lizard-in-her-food/

Darrel Vanderhoot   May 20th, 2021 4:45 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

Earle Maniatis   May 21st, 2021 3:08 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

Deloise Bethers   May 22nd, 2021 3:09 am ET

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/12/its-official-boeings-dreamliner-first-flight-december-15th/

Maryann Gosha   May 23rd, 2021 5:00 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

Gerry Seibel   May 28th, 2021 5:47 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

Earline Hildman   May 29th, 2021 6:25 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

Hannah Redish   May 30th, 2021 7:14 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

Toby Monell   May 31st, 2021 5:59 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

Antone Haber   June 3rd, 2021 12:28 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

Donnell Europe   June 5th, 2021 12:43 pm ET

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

Shandra Perrell   June 7th, 2021 8:35 am ET

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

Jorge Vannest   June 11th, 2021 10:09 am ET

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

Antoine Cordial   June 12th, 2021 11:39 pm ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

Bryce Mejorado   June 13th, 2021 9:11 am ET

I don't know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/02/a-picture-and-video-tour-of-the-boeing-787-dreamliner-interior/

Karon Alcott   June 14th, 2021 1:10 am ET

I don't know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/air-new-zealand-revolutionizes-the-economy-seat-with-their-skycouch-seats/

Debrah Heroux   June 15th, 2021 9:49 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

토토사이트   June 20th, 2021 3:54 pm ET

550652 174257Immer etliche Firmen bentzen heutzutage Interimmanagement als innovatives und ergnzendes Gertschaft i. Spanne der Unternehmensfhrung. Denn hiermit wird Kenntnisstand leistungsfhig, bedarfsgerecht und schnell ins Unternehmen geholt. 801984

Billy Nunoz   June 21st, 2021 11:19 pm ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

Leave Your Comment