SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
January 26, 2009

Banana hammer cold

Posted: 11:13 AM ET

From the West, to Midwest, the Northeast to parts of the South it's cold. I mean banana hammer cold. Never seen that measurement on the thermostat? Well, you've obviously never been to Minnesota in the winter.

How cold is it? Cold enough to turn a banana into a hammer. Photo: Getty Images

Meteorologist Jonathan Yuhas from Minneapolis affiliate KARE showed CNN's Heidi Collins what last week's subzero temperatures could do to everyday items.

According to KARE, on January 15 it was negative 21 degrees Fahrenheit, factoring in the windchill. That's just 17 degrees warmer than the freezing point for liquid mercury. And one more reason I will not visit Minnesota in the winter.

Now, bubbles don't shatter and hot water doesn't turn to a frozen cloud in normal weather conditions. It has to be cold. Very cold. Cold enough to pass those items' freezing limit.

Generally defined, a freezing point is the temperature where the liquid state of a particular compound freezes to form a solid. For freshwater, this temperature is 32 degrees Fahrenheit. For a banana or other foods, it depends.

A work by Dr. Richard W. Hartel of the University of Wisconsin-Madison states that "foods are mixtures of various ingredients, some of which affect phase behavior of water.." Meaning, since foods contain sugars, salts, proteins, fats, flavors, etc., there is no one broadly defined freezing point for food. For fruits, Hartel gave a general freezing point between 30.4 – 27.1 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hartel also gave the average freezing points of some other food categories:

Vegetables: 30.6 – 26.7 F
Meat: 28.9 – 28.0 F
Egg: 31 F
Milk: 31 F

Ice, snow, banana hammers, frozen bubbles–at 21 below, they're all the same. Frozen.

According to bubblemania.com, which is my authority on everything bubble-related, it is possible to freeze bubbles. Our iReporters also proved us that. But once the bubble freezes, it's only a matter of time before they shatter.

This is because when a bubble is blown into subzero temperatures, the warm air inside the bubble quickly contracts. The volume of air becomes lower, and the bubble crumples under its own weight.

CNN iReporters also got in on the action, freezing everything from food to flash-freezing hot water. Others are using the freezing weather to go green. iReporter Kyle Aevermann shared his use of a "natural freezer" in Chicago's subzero temperatures.

The Food and Safety Inspection Service, a branch of the USDA, recommends against doing that, however. The agency's Web site Fact Sheet states: "When it is freezing outside and there is snow on the ground, it seems like a good place to keep food until the power comes on; however, frozen food can thaw if it is exposed to the sun's rays even when the temperature is very cold. Refrigerated food may become too warm and foodborne bacteria could grow. The outside temperature could vary hour by hour and the temperature outside will not protect refrigerated and frozen food."

So besides food, what else have you found freezing point for? Wet laundry? An umbrella? We want to know. Send in your iReports. Leave a comment.

- Brandon Ancil, CNN.com

Filed under: science • Weather

Casey   January 26th, 2009 12:25 pm ET

What the heck is a banana hammer? I assume it's when a banana gets frozen and can be used as a hammer, but I'm not sure. YOU NEVER SAY!

Wisdom   January 28th, 2009 10:02 am ET

This Global Warming must be stopped... oh wait?

S Callahan   January 30th, 2009 5:46 pm ET

My day always ends with a smile when I read Franko's comments!

This recent 'freeze' weather doesn't seem so different than the weather in the 50 and 60's.....the only difference I see is the profiting off of nature.

Smithtdg   December 8th, 2020 4:10 pm ET

gay internet away from cost-free adult dating sites

there can be a genuine particular date agreed in relation to their machine. The lgbt dating sites on line is the most commodious process at american singles involving course the worker. seeking for the lgbt relatives, all of the correspondents, in about family and friends, additionally the partners among soul into your lgbt expert services colleagues is usually an great idea a good beginning and so far using the web. will need realize your outcomes in life human being knowledgeable gay and lesbian as we speak and cost nothing designed for your own.

will lgbt rrnternet sites of courting are to assist you single men and women involving course the staff to their unique patrons. when you go to the discos, you might want to pay out to a whole lot price concerning a drink. circumstances you must cover for your connect the particular cost. at this point on line is whilst not having expenses in addition to recreation. You don't pay all if you find yourself documented with a personal posting, get some sort of gay ones, moreover client these types of single adult males. a simple free two way matched up value and services information as a the part don't pay a price. a small number of deposited lgbt portals attached to going out charge alongside minimal monthly fees adhesion. however, immediately after you bring together gay my completely free one registered users online websites, there isn't any recommended premium. You have the freedom to seek thousands of predominantly gay colleagues. You can come into contact with thousands relating to gay single men and women in day.

once we joined up with totally free whataburger coupons lgbt places connected with social marketing online, it's good to ask for a homosexual partner. we really wish for so far with a friend, we start to use precisely the adult men devoted which may admire ourselves. our organization seek the honest people who adore being devoted and seeking the devotion attached to inescapable fact merely. We share over time have a weakness for somewhere between us to and also every wonderful personal alongside to whom effortlessly write about everyday living. anybody with whom we would make a belief and even partition enhance. the following gay got to be that which most for instance of the bottom of our affection. This is the true day the lgbt groups. you don't have a most other manner of acquiring good in lasting love over half of the websites of courting via the internet. Reports/ratios are designed abundant every single and every year on the net. there are these content articles together with online dating to say of this at stake.

The homosexual single the men attempt one for some other along with your services man together with relationships for the as well as dating. We should be the lgbt fellas when we are satisfied by ouselves. many of us are happy to be the homosexual ones to only prefer some other adult, and not of the ladies. We might have the female very good as well as the love together with the report/ratio, we only seek just guys. their time frame we was initially delivered to stay happy, almost all enjoy playing with the gay ones. discover gay and lesbian gear typically we can buy the genuinely plus the date these services fails to help us to get a date from every day living. many locations are really [url=http://www.love-sites.com/tips-to-chat-with-chinese-girl/]sexy chinese girls[/url] relaxing to be danced with the background music on line. there are actually our associate's homosexual sexual the report/ratio at this point but are still not eventually. The homosexual ones obtain ones loyal friend created by existing to totally free whataburger coupons masculine companies a new relationship. you must not compensate point for the installation of the free lgbt tech services of going.

Wallace Cadigan   December 20th, 2020 5:29 pm ET

Hiya, My partner and i have a look at all your documents, you can keep them forthcoming.

Antone Otterbine   December 21st, 2020 7:18 pm ET

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and all. But think of if you added some great photos or videos to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this site could certainly be one of the very best in its field. Excellent blog!

Debra Mantell   December 22nd, 2020 11:37 am ET

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

Cris Dipierro   December 24th, 2020 12:10 am ET

The subsequent time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I know it was my choice to read, however I really thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you would fix should you werent too busy in search of attention.

Kina Spears   December 24th, 2020 1:37 am ET

Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

Yee Smelser   December 24th, 2020 8:53 am ET

Wonderful work! This is the type of info that are supposed to be shared across the net. Disgrace on the seek engines for now not positioning this put up higher! Come on over and consult with my website . Thanks =)

Rosalina Andrachak   December 24th, 2020 9:03 am ET

I found your weblog web site on google and check a couple of of your early posts. Continue to keep up the superb operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to reading extra from you afterward!…

Jacquline Faehnle   December 27th, 2020 6:10 pm ET

You actually make it appear really easy along with your presentation however I find this matter to be really something which I feel I might by no means understand. It kind of feels too complex and very large for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the grasp of it!

Jarred Sendro   December 27th, 2020 11:41 pm ET

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write on my website something like that. Can I include a part of your post to my blog?

Wilton Roja   January 11th, 2021 2:29 am ET

Joel Gouse   January 12th, 2021 1:29 am ET

An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was simply doing a small analysis about this. And then he in reality bought me breakfast since I ran across it for him.. smile. So i want to reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending plenty of time to discuss this, I find myself strongly regarding it and love reading regarding this topic. If you can, as you become expertise, might you mind updating your website with increased details? It can be highly ideal for me. Huge thumb up with this text!

Leave Your Comment