March 5, 2009
Posted: 10:04 AM ET
Here are some some tech and science stories we found interesting today:
1. Let a hamster clean the carpet: Gizmodo reports that some inventor (possibly with a case of OCD) found a way to let pet hamsters control the direction of Roombas, those robotic floor-cleaning machines. A video shows a green hamster ball poised atop the UFO-shaped device. If the hamster decides to run a different direction, a different piece of your floor gets vacuumed. Notes the site:
2. Low-tech Lent: As the LA Times and others report this morning, some Roman Catholic bishops are calling on followers to give up text messaging for the holy period of Lent, which precedes Easter. The paper's story begins:
3. Commemorating the iFart: CNet has a story looking back at the year in iPhone applications. Some, like the iFart, were unexpected successes , the publication writes. From the story:
4. Hope for the bionic eye: The BBC writes that another man has been fitted with a bionic eye and can now see "flashes of light" after surgery at a London hospital. The eyes are designed to help people with a degenerative eye disease. The eye "uses a camera and video processor mounted on sunglasses to send captured images wirelessly to a tiny receiver on the outside of the eye," the station writes on its Web site.
5. Facebook copies Twitter? The New York Times and others wrote about changes unveiled by Facebook, the popular social media site, that some say make it function more like Twitter, another popular site. Facebook is replacing the "status update" box at the top of its pages with a "What's on your mind" box. Twitter prompts its users to enter posts with a similar and perhaps simpler question: "What are you doing?"
By John Sutter, CNN.com
From around the web
Are you a gadgethead? Do you spend hours a day online? Or are you just curious about how technology impacts your life? In this digital age, it's increasingly important to be fluent, or at least familiar, with the big tech trends. From gadgets to Google, smartphones to social media, this blog will help keep you informed.