SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 22, 2009

Wednesday tech trends: is that my face?

Posted: 10:47 AM ET

Today in technology news, CNN.com brings you a few neat - and slightly frightening - Internet trends:

FACES: A company called Polar Rose offers a relatively new service that scans photos and determines who's in them - using  facial-recognition technology. As CNET reports, the service currently exists as an add-on for the photo-sharing site Flickr. It could have future applications for Facebook (which means we'll all just have to wake up earlier to untag ourselves from embarrassing photos).

PROFILE: Google offers a new service that lets you set up a Google profile, which, a Wired blogger writes, soon could be the first search item to pop up with your name is searched on the site. Beware, the blog says, because this gives Google unprecedented power over your online persona.

DATING: Sick of the dating scene? SkyeCandy is a new speed-dating service that lets would-be love birds hold 5-minute video chats online through Skype. Check out this slightly creepy intro video on SkyeCandy's homepage.

BOOKS: For those weary of dusty library shelves (and free public services), BookSwim now offers a Netflix-like service that will ship new books to your home for a monthly fee. That paper-bound service hasn't gotten as much buzz as the e-book scene. Check out this WSJ story. The writer says digital books, an old-ish idea that seems to be catching on more because of Amazon's Kindle reader, will change the way we read and write:

I knew then that the book's migration to the digital realm would not be a simple matter of trading ink for pixels, but would likely change the way we read, write and sell books in profound ways. It will make it easier for us to buy books, but at the same time make it easier to stop reading them.

What's on your mind today? Found any interesting sites or new online services? Share your thought in the comments section below.

Posted by:
Filed under: Facebook • Internet • social-networking sites

gdhfdg   April 23rd, 2009 8:02 am ET

ghdghd

Travis Boyle   May 24th, 2009 5:30 pm ET

Matthew Kennedy, publisher of LDS Living Magazine gave a great talk at BYU ( Brigham Young University ) about families and credit. In the Q & A after there were very many questions from families about tech trends and I was frankly surprised that so many people were so well read about the subject. Kennedy was able to answer questions well, but the questions themselves were very telling. Obviously BYU is a private LDS school run by the Mormon Church but i was impressed with the Tech Questions. Could this be a sign that the traditional stock are just "old School" or is tech just it for now and we will go back to traditional.

Noy   June 29th, 2012 7:27 am ET

woot, thankyou! I fanilly came to a site where the webmaster knows what they're talking about. Do you know how many results are in Google when I search.. too many! It's so annoying having to go from page after page after page, wasting my day away with thousands of people just copying eachother's articles… bah. Anyway, thankyou very much for the info anyway, much appreciated.

losing weight with laxatives   December 15th, 2015 4:56 am ET

There is apparently a lot to identify about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

financial education   February 22nd, 2021 10:12 am ET

3439 743628 Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So good to uncover somebody with some original thoughts on this topic. realy thank you for starting this up. this web site is something that is needed on the internet, someone with a little originality. valuable job for bringing something new towards the internet! 772398

ClarkPring   February 28th, 2021 11:42 pm ET

0tdwj ypmgi jj17

clambertconstructionllc@gmail.com   March 25th, 2021 10:10 am ET

562906 71975Yay google is my world beater aided me to uncover this outstanding site! . 90525

Jake Barney Medwell   April 8th, 2021 5:47 am ET

62673 373522Yeah bookmaking this wasnt a speculative decision outstanding post! . 943890

Medication for anxiety   April 23rd, 2021 7:54 pm ET

907403 593553Would love to perpetually get updated wonderful weblog ! . 134657

Under Construction Hyderabad Gated Community Villas   May 1st, 2021 3:07 pm ET

303070 624625Glad to be 1 of numerous visitants on this awing web internet site : D. 664466

Lizabeth Dealba   May 10th, 2021 9:31 am ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

Birdie Mathys   May 11th, 2021 9:36 pm ET

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

qqslot   May 16th, 2021 12:44 am ET

239039 193411Ill do this if want to as much as I hope that is not too far off the track. 882288

Jesus Kretschman   June 6th, 2021 2:52 am ET

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

Jacqueline Turansky   June 7th, 2021 8:40 pm ET

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

Earnest Forster   June 12th, 2021 12:20 am ET

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

Jody Mcculough   June 12th, 2021 8:55 pm ET

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

Gaylene Buccieri   June 13th, 2021 7:09 am ET

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/03/video-a-look-at-boeing-planes-never-made-in-the-archive/

Davis Spada   June 13th, 2021 11:03 pm ET

I don't know about you people but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/11/car-ferry/

Leave Your Comment