SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
February 19, 2010

Obama, MJ, 'Twilight' top Tiger's Ustream audience

Posted: 02:52 PM ET

Ahead of today's apology from Tiger Woods, some people speculated that the event would break the Web's record for most people watching a live video stream at the same time.

Obama's inauguration in January 2009 set that record, with 7.7 million simultaneous video streams across the Internet as a whole, according to Akamai Technologies Inc.

Tiger's "I'm so sorry" speech didn't even come close to that - at least not on Ustream.

According to numbers sent to CNN by Ustream spokeswoman Shari Foldes, Woods' audience for his 15-minute talk fell short of viewership for Obama's inauguration, Michael Jackson's funeral and last fall's "Twilight: New Moon" red carpet premiere.

But it's difficult to compare these numbers, Foldes said, because the events varied so greatly in length. Plus, Woods' apology was carried live on a number of Web sites aside from Ustream - including CNN.com, YouTube and Hulu.

But here are Ustream's numbers, nonetheless.

What do you think they say about us as a society - or as the Internet audience? Feel free to chime in with comments.

Michael Jackson's memorial service: 4.6 million total streams
"Twilight: New Moon" red carpet premiere: 4.1 million total streams
Obama's inauguration: 3.8 million total streams
American Music Awards red carpet pre-show: 3.4 million total streams
Golden Globes red carpet pre-show: 1.7 million total streams

Posted by:
Filed under: Tiger Woods • Ustream

Aly   February 19th, 2010 5:28 pm ET

We, as an individual, are boring people. We lead boring lives, so we are starved for watching things that have nothing to do with us. I, for one, don't watch TV or much on hulu. I refuse to watch anything on youtube when I can get the song I want to play off of lyrics.com or something, without a video. People are always wanting to watch drama enfold, or are curious about what drama is going on now. Same with chatrooms. "who slept with who" "who is dating who" standard gossip/drama. People love it.

Without Wax,
Aly from OKLAHOMA!

Sam Strelitz   February 20th, 2010 12:23 am ET

Why would anyone watch something "live" on the internet? It's a television concept, and one that isn't really appropriate for the medium of the internet in a lot of ways. People on the internet aren't used to adjusting their schedule to when the film is playing – they're used to playing the film when they want to, which is usually shortly (or not so shortly) after the live recording date.

Dolores   February 20th, 2010 1:55 pm ET

I know what Tiger did was a terrible thing, however; what about the women that participated in these affairs? They know he was married and of the one that said she did not know, she had to be hiding under a rock someplace! His marriage was all over the news!

They (the women) have to take some responsibility in this situation as well, instead of acting like they are the victims. They were looking to live that lifestyle and to get whatever they could from the relationship. They are not victims, they were opportunists.

I am happy Tiger apologized and I hope he continues with his treatment. I also hope Elin will work on her marriage with him, but I would understand if she decides to get a divorce. I know and have seen how women throw themselves at athletes. It is for the money, fame and status they receive for just being with that person. In fact, one of the women admitted just that this past week in an interview on T.V.

I wish Tiger and his family all the best and hope he finishes his treatment and returns to playing golf, the one thing he is go at. I hope he has learned a valued lesson as a husband. I know it must be tough with all the temptations for someone in his position, but he has to think about what is important to him; his family or someone who is just interested in what they can get out of the relationship. And who runs to the press when things go wrong, so they can get paid.

He is not the first sports star to have affairs and he certainly will not be the last. Do you remember Wilt Chamberlain and his women?

gg   February 20th, 2010 8:31 pm ET

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY TO ALL OF YOU JEALOUS IGNORANT
PEOPLE! Leave Tiger alone. Why do you think he must explain anything to you. He does not owe you a thing. He is paying dearly for what ever he did or didn't do. If you feel you must do something than pray for him and his family.

vic   February 22nd, 2010 2:59 pm ET

so what?

Tom H   February 23rd, 2010 2:08 pm ET

John,
You actually seem to think a lot of people REALLY care about these numbers, etc. Only you media types. Tiger will be back, but it will not have a thing to do with Face Book, Twitter, or CNN. On the golf course, only talent and winning count for much.

shaun conner   March 26th, 2010 9:22 pm ET

Tiger can I get autograph for my uncle JW conner do you think I can get one for him if so call me at 3097941733 and may god be with you and family stay strong and don't let this get you down and be real to her and your self and don't let the golf world play your game you made it what it is today and they know it god is good all the time just don't forget what your father said and use it

shaun conner   August 24th, 2010 1:31 am ET

Some body please tell tiger woods to call shaun conner before everything go down hill for him i just want to talk to him 3094289763 my cell number (anytime)

Mauro Rovero   December 20th, 2020 6:48 pm ET

This could be the appropriate blog for hopes to check out this topic. You already know a great deal its almost tricky to argue with you (not that When i would want…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin using a topic thats been discussing for many years. Wonderful stuff, just fantastic!

Sherrell Flever   January 12th, 2021 1:29 am ET

This in turn submit usually redeem much website. How you would market it? The item provides fine specialized perspective attached to situations. Just maybe providing whatever actual alternatively good to offer home elevators is the central factor.

Quinton Urtiz   January 28th, 2021 9:59 pm ET

game slot   February 8th, 2021 11:36 am ET

693918 732036My wife style of bogus body art were being quite unsafe. Mother worked with gun initial, right after which they your lover snuck no cost upon an tattoo ink ink. I was certain the fact just about every ought to not be epidermal, due towards the tattoo ink could be attracted from the entire body. make an own temporary tattoo 708349

sextuplets today   February 26th, 2021 6:17 pm ET

107156 506336conclusion that you are completely right but some need to be 506552

Corliss Yell   March 4th, 2021 10:58 am ET

Thanks a lot for giving everyone remarkably marvellous possiblity to read articles and blog posts from here. It is always so pleasing and packed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office fellow workers to visit your web site at minimum 3 times per week to find out the new things you have got. And lastly, I'm actually happy concerning the gorgeous knowledge served by you. Certain 3 areas on this page are completely the most effective we have all ever had.

Alise Michalicek   March 6th, 2021 2:07 pm ET

dewa jitu   April 12th, 2021 6:11 am ET

392691 346666I take pleasure within the comments on this weblog, it really gives it that community feel! 80852

Leave Your Comment