SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 23, 2010

Geek Out!: The 'Fett' is back!

Posted: 04:14 PM ET

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From scifi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's SciTech blog.

With the 30th anniversary of “The Empire Strikes Back” only weeks away [May 21, mark your calendars!] I was happy to see that “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” [on Cartoon Network, which, like CNN, is a division of TimeWarner] was about to start a three-episode season finale arc this Friday called “Death Trap.”

Why? Because one of the Star Wars universe's biggest fan favorites - Boba Fett! - will make his first appearance.

I, like many Star Wars fans, love “Empire,” and believe it's the best in the original trilogy. And, by far, my favorite character from the movie is "The Fett."

To be completely accurate, Boba Fett was first introduced to us in an animated section of the ill-fated 1978 “Star Wars Holliday Special” [You know ... the one that inspired Lucas to say he would like to "... track down every copy of that show and smash it."] .

Also, Kenner released a Boba Fett action figure before "The Empire Strikes Back" was released.

And if we want to get *really* deep into Star Wars geekdom, I'll point out that his first "public" appearance was at the San Anselmo's County Fair parade on September 24, 1978, in a parade alongside Darth Vader.

But when the largest group of us saw him first was on the bridge of the Star Destroyer being briefed by Darth Vader.

We loved him from the get-go.

He wore that cool Mandalorian armor [not that we knew what it was called when we saw the movie]. He hid what he looked like. He said only 29 words in the entire original trilogy.

His ship, Slave I, was so whacked-out looking. He was just ... cool.

It was even cooler that he was hunting down the heroes of the movie and we were never 100 percent sure of his motives. Was he just in it for the money? Or did he have another reason he wanted to get his hands on Han Solo?

For me, he was the second coolest of all the characters we meet in the Star Wars universe [I'm a Vader guy]. He is also one of the characters that we meet in the Star Wars universe that gets their back-story fully fleshed out later in the movies (Ep II, Ep III, Ep V, Ep VI), video games and comics books.

I can't think of a part of the Star Wars world that does not have at least a mention of him.

Are you a Boba Fett Fan? What went through your mind when you first saw him in the Star Wars universe? Let us know in the comments.

Also, what are your favorite “Empire Strikes Back” memories, especially if you saw the movie when it first came out? Share your story and photos on CNN iReport.

Posted by:
Filed under: Geek Out! • Movies • pop culture • television

B Rad   April 28th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

Boba Fett did not die in that pit in Episode VI. If you read the later books he is so much of a B. A. that he crawls his way out of the spiked pit.

Charles Veidt   April 29th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

Fett was cool 30 years ago when he was mysterious.

He's so overexposed and fetishized at this point that no trace of coolness remains. I couldn't care less about him.

Adverse SEO   December 25th, 2011 2:16 am ET

Search results change because we make changes to our sites, other people change their sites, the search engines change their algorithms, or people change what they are looking for.

Jannette Hasty   December 20th, 2020 7:16 pm ET

The next occasion Someone said a blog, Lets hope it doesnt disappoint me as much as this place. I am talking about, I know it was my method to read, but I actually thought youd have some thing fascinating to say. All I hear is actually a few whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy interested in attention.

Rigoberto Brodsky   December 21st, 2020 9:02 pm ET

Thanks – Enjoyed this post, can you make it so I receive an email whenever you write a new update?

Essie   December 23rd, 2020 7:08 pm ET

A lot of individuals do not realize that cbd for cats is a fantastic
option for maintaining your pet feeling healthy and
lively at all times. If you are not familiar with what CBD oil for
cats is, it's an all-natural nutritional supplement made from hemp and THC or tetrahydrocannabinol.
Does this help keep your cat healthy, but it could
also help save you hundreds of dollars on vet bills over
the duration of their lifetime! If your vet doesn't suggest using
cbd oil for cats, then this article will offer you the info you need to know.

As is often the case with clinical research, it is left to the scientists to interpret research data in cats, dogs and
other creatures along with anecdotal evidence to try to determine whether or not giving CBD for cats is actually a wise idea.
Recent studies suggest that CBD can help treat arthritis in patients who have chronic osteoarthritis, can help reduce seizure activity
in patients with cerebral palsy and also can reduce muscle mass in cats who
have been implanted with implants that are muscular.

Top 3 cbd for cats is safe and effective. This list has been created based on the following standards: does the formula look sketchy
or dangerous? Does it seem funny or perplexing to the naked
eye? Basically, reviewed each item completely, read it through
carefully and keep in mind our beloved cats.

Del Timmel   December 24th, 2020 1:37 am ET

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered brilliant clear idea

Juliann Maclauchlan   December 24th, 2020 9:21 am ET

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

Enrique Ripka   December 27th, 2020 1:26 pm ET

I used to be very pleased to seek out this net-site.I wished to thanks to your time for this wonderful learn!! I definitely enjoying every little little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.

Annabelle Merando   December 27th, 2020 5:22 pm ET

I liked up to you will obtain performed proper here. The caricature is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be turning in the following. unwell definitely come more until now once more since precisely the similar nearly very regularly within case you defend this hike.

Seth Salls   December 28th, 2020 12:05 am ET

I do agree with all of the ideas you have presented in your post. They are very convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for novices. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

Lasonya Peckenpaugh   January 10th, 2021 11:12 pm ET

Daryl Keahey   January 12th, 2021 1:27 am ET

Hai bisogno di scaricare musica no cost?! Visita questo sito world wide web. Cerchi musica gratis su web?

Claribel Wine   January 13th, 2021 6:04 am ET

I was extremely pleased to uncover this website. I want to to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!!

I definitely savored every little bit of it and i also have you
saved as a favorite to look at new things in your website.

gay0day   January 17th, 2021 7:45 pm ET

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this write-up plus the rest of the website
is extremely good.